Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Rainbow at Dawn w/o Inebriation!
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
tmatlack

tmatlack
PostTue Nov 10, 2009 4:11 am 
Comrades, Yesterday, Nov. 9 at about 7:20 am in Granite Falls, my friend pulled me out of my workstation to look at the sky almost directly overhead. The sun was just barely lighting up the eastern sky over Red Mountain where the big quarry is. There was no rain at all. At least at our elevation and/or location. Arcing through the sky, almost at zenith, was a fairly bright rainbow, standing out all proud through the high clouds and very faint blue of dawn. I know a photo would be appreicated, but too bad, we weren't prepared. I am 52 and have never seen an unanchored rainbow at dawn. Anyone else see this thing? Tom

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Scrooge
Famous Grouse

Scrooge
Famous Grouse
PostTue Nov 10, 2009 8:30 am 
Jim Dockery posted this in Picture of the Day, Tom.

Something lost behind the ranges. Lost and waiting for you....... Go and find it. Go!
Redwic
Unlisted Free Agent

Redwic
Unlisted Free Agent
PostTue Nov 10, 2009 8:55 am 
On a similar subject, my wife and I went to Abbotsford for a hockey game on Saturday. While driving through Sumas, we saw an unobstructed double rainbow. It was pretty awesome. Unfortunately, I cannot claim it was at dawn (as it was within a couple of hours from dusk). It would have been neat to see "your" rainbow at dawn. I guess it must be a good time of the year for seeing rainbows in the NW.

60 pounds lighter but not 60 points brighter.
tmatlack

tmatlack
PostTue Nov 10, 2009 5:58 pm 
Scrooge, Yea, I know the guy pretty well. But this was a dawn rainbow, at zenith, unanchored, maybe high altitude precipitation that wasn't making it to the ground? I don't know. W/o a photo it's hard to be impressed. That is a dandy shot by Jim though. We get good light once in a while. Tom

Magellan
Brutally Handsome

Magellan
Brutally Handsome
PostTue Nov 10, 2009 9:27 pm 
It's a double rainbow to boot. What the heck does unanchored mean? The sunrise was magnificent from the freeway bridge in Seattle.

tmatlack

tmatlack
PostWed Nov 11, 2009 4:06 am 
M.,
Quote:
What the heck does unanchored mean?
Just floating in the sky, neither leg even close to the ground. One big arc overhead...more sideways than an "anchored" rainbow that has the familiar dome shape. Never seen one before...that's why the description is sorta lame. Tom

tmatlack

tmatlack
PostFri Nov 13, 2009 3:54 am 
HA! A friendly NWHiker clued me in to what this mysterious "rainbow" was.... Here it is... The Cirucumzenithal Arch http://www.atoptics.co.uk/halo/cza.htm I have been known to tell a whopper or two; yes, even on the internet...but this was not one of them!!!! This is exactly what we saw...early in the am with a low sun.(Actually the sun wasn't even over Red Mtn. yet!) Thanks fellow NWHiker! Tom