Forum Index > Trail Talk > ancient dusty photos
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
polarbear

polarbear
PostTue May 21, 2002 8:08 pm 
Got some pictures back from my Ancient Lakes hike. Speaking of Ancient, anyone got old black and white pictures like of the highway along the Snoqualmie River before I-90 went through or maybe old pictures of the Monte Cristo buildings?

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostTue May 21, 2002 8:18 pm 
my uncle has a bitchin' photo of my great grandfather driving a model T over snoqualmie pass, with Guye peak clearly visible in the background. it's pretty cool, I keep trying to get him to let me have it!

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Sawyer

Sawyer
PostWed May 22, 2002 6:30 am 
I have copies of Monte Cristo buildings. Two sources: Everett Library can make copies, and UW library has Phillip Woodhouse's entire collection (several hundred).

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote View IP address of poster
McPilchuck
Wild Bagger

McPilchuck
Wild Bagger
PostWed May 22, 2002 1:10 pm 
I once had breakfast in a Monte Cristo building/cafe type house. Their was an old fellow in there who was selling his book about the place, signing auto copies, like an idiot, I didn't buy one from him, but I didn't have much cash, it was real early in the morning and I was the only one there other than a cook and him. I didn't take any photos of that morning, damn should have though! As I think the last buildings are all gone? It was about 1974 or around then. Come to think about it, I don't think I've been back up there since.

in the granite high-wild alpine land . . . www.alpinequest.com
Karen

Karen
PostWed May 22, 2002 4:36 pm 
hmmmmmmm ... I wonder if that was the author of "The Coffee Chased Us Up" (a book by a fellow who spent his youth in Monte Cristo). Or it could have been Jerry Rossman, one of the last people to run the old Lodge/resort in Monte Cristo before it burned down. Jerry (to my knowledge) never wrote a book but he certainly could have -- he was a wealth of information and a real character. I met him a year or two before the disastrous floods roared into Monte Cristo and wiped out most of the bridges between Barlow Pass and the townsite. Back in 1980 (roughly) I used to be able to rent a cabin there (cheap, cheap, funky and a fun place to stay) and then do day-hikes. Jerry sold copies of "The Monte Cristo Guide" from the lodge -- I bought one (still have it) and also bought a green T-shirt that I still own today which says "MOnte Cristo" and shows a prospector and mule on the front. It's a fun shirt. I'm glad I have those things. Do you remember anything else about where the cafe type building was located? Was it in Monte Cristo or on the way to Monte Cristo? Just curious. Karen

stay together, learn the flowers, go light - from Turtle Island, Gary Snyder
polarbear

polarbear
PostWed May 22, 2002 6:48 pm 
It seems like the flooding really doomed the Monte Cristo plan from the getgo. I think I read "The Coffee Chased Us Up" or maybe it was a different one, but I remember them talking about how they rejected the first survey that was done for the railway because it was situated higher above the river and would have been more expensive to build? One can wonder what would have happened to the area if they had built the line as first surveyed. They might have mined out the area by now, but there might have been a saloon or two still running. I remember some of the buildings from a trip I made up there when I was little. I think the turntable or a big section of track was still there. Didn't some of the miners have to hike out to Everett one year because there was no train?