Forum Index > Trip Reports > Umtanum Canyon
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Mothershelper

Mothershelper
PostSun Apr 04, 2004 10:43 am 
Great posts from everyone. I be new to online hike reports and am lovin' it. Usually my mind doesn't think past Mt Rainier, I-90 & Hwy 2 for the most part, but influences from my hiking bud and a desert man, pushed me further east. We hit Umtanum Canyon yesterday. A variety of terrain, if you choose, some brush to push through, scree slopes, scultured basalt, the creek maintains a variety of birds and met some nice folks along the way. Wanting to head back and cut up some of those side canyons. Most folks probably know the scoop on hikes in this area but if you continued to be lured by alpine mountain tops or lush forests I recommend this hike to expand your horizons as I will certainly be back this season for either this hike or something similar. Easy directions for getting there and not too strenous a hike, but the brush can get ya scratched up if that's an issue. Stay into early evening for the light to shift on those basalt walls ...beautiful. Thanks to everyone for all their posts. If you have any other recommendations for hikes in that area I would love to hear about them. (I have been checking the trip reports here too.) Peace.
Go
Go

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
polarbear

polarbear
PostSun Apr 04, 2004 2:11 pm 
The Douglas Creek area near Waterville is worth checking out.

Newt
Short Timer

Newt
Short Timer
PostSun Apr 04, 2004 4:40 pm 
Thanks PBear. I've never hiked the area but if it's the canyon I'm thinking, it looks pretty far out. On another note, anyone know the history behind the homestead up Umtanum Creek? Newt

It's pretty safe to say that if we take all of man kinds accumulated knowledge, we still don't know everything. So, I hope you understand why I don't believe you know everything. But then again, maybe you do.
Mothershelper

Mothershelper
PostMon Apr 05, 2004 7:47 am 
douglas creek
Thanks polar, My hiking bud and I are going to check out d-creek on some maps. We appreciate the suggestion. How long does it take to drive there from Sea? MH