Forum Index > Trip Reports > West Fork Dosewallips River Trail - Honeymoon Meadows
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Calliems

Calliems
PostTue Apr 06, 2004 3:13 pm 
Woke up very early Saturday morning and headed over to the penisula, via the Edmonds-Kingston ferry. We made it to the road washout at the Dosewallips River in about an hour from Kingston. Hiked to the Dosewallips Ranger Station in less than 2 hours, stopped for lunch and headed up the Dosewallips River Trail to Dose Forks. We took the West Fork - there is one bridge that is slighty damaged, but no big deal to get around. There are a few blowdowns on the trail, but nothing that is difficult to go around (or under or over). There is a spectacular bridge that is 100 feet above the river that is amazing, especially on such a sunny day. We intended to hike to Honeymoon Meadows to camp, but heard from day hikers that even at Diamond Meadows, the snow was waist deep - which I was really surprised because I think it is only at 2600' elevation. We ended up camping at Big Timber, which had spots of snow on the ground as well, but there were plently of snow free campsites. Hiked out on Sunday. Wonderful first hike of the season and couldn't have asked for better weather!

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Hoosierdaddy
Trophy Husband

Hoosierdaddy
Trophy Husband
PostTue Apr 06, 2004 4:40 pm 
Thanks for the report! That 100' high bridge is probably the one the NPS just replaced last year. Hope it's holding up well!

God, I am going to regret this someday!
Calliems

Calliems
PostThu Apr 08, 2004 12:23 pm 
Yes, it looked very new! When I read about the bridge in a hiking book, I was picturing a 100' suspension bridge - I was definitely relieved to see the VERY solid looking bridge on steel beams that it is!

sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostThu Apr 08, 2004 1:41 pm 
They helicoptered in 2 new bridges in the Dose area last fall smile.gif

https://trailcooking.com/ Eat well on the trail.