Forum Index > Trip Reports > Camp Muir, MRNP, 7/26/03
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
polarbear

polarbear
PostSun Jul 27, 2003 4:10 pm 
Four of us set out for Camp Muir Saturday morning. I was wondering what the weather would hold as the mountain was obscured by clouds from Seattle, but by the time we got to the park everything was pretty clear. We started up the Skyline trail and I was impressed with the flowers that were out--Lupine, Paint Brush, and Avalanch Lillies. After a couple miles or so, we hit snow which holds the rest of the way up to the camp. The views get better the higher you go, and we could see Adams, Hood, Mt. St Helens and some strange looking bumps that were probably giant mountains deep in Oregon. I had slathered alot of sunscreen on, but I still felt my skin drying out and kept putting more on. Finally I borrowed a bandana and headband to keep the sun off my forehead and neck. Even with all that I'm feeling some bad burns this morning (does taking a bath with vinegar water really help, or is it folklore?). We got up to the camp and there were quite a few people up there preparing for the summit. There were views for crevasses below and a trail ascending what looked like a scree slope on the north side. Steve suggested I go in the restroom and look at the temperature/weather data that the ranger posts inside there every day. I can't believe I was that gullible and actually checked down.gif shakehead.gif huh.gif . Phew! There will be opportunities to get even. We climbed a rock above the camp and had our lunch. Somehow my peanut butter sandwhich turned into a peanut butter, tomato, turkey, and cheese sandwhich. This is actually alot better than just peanut butter, and I was greatful for the donations. I started making comments about how bad some of the hiking bars you can buy taste. I had sample two on the drive and hike up and wasn't that impressed. They might contain all the RDA vitamins and minerals, but the taste ranges from bland to yucky. Admit it everyone, wouldn't you rather have a large oatmeal or chocolate chip cooky than one of those hiker bars? And cookies are probably just as nutritious and don't taste like they came out of a laboratory. Posted below are a couple recipes with instructions so detailed you cannot go wrong, guaranteed. Oddy right after I made the cooky comment, a tupperware of CC cookies mysteriously appeared. We finished lunch, took a few pictures, and headed down the slope. We slid down alot of the way on our rears, and the last slide was the best with a small hidden drop and a jump. Back at the parking lot we went over to the Inn which is a must see for anyone who hasn't been there.
real cookies
real cookies

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
El Puma

El Puma
PostFri Apr 09, 2004 2:39 pm 
Did the Muir "conditioning slog" on Tuesday with a full climbing pack and skis. Surprisingly low snow levels compared to the last two years. Any ski descent to the Nisqually Bridge is probably impossible by now - did that in late April two years ago. Rocky ridges on the ascent are already very exposed. I don't know why everyone seems to talk about an "above average snow year" - Stevens Pass just barely got over 100" when they usually finish the season around 120 or even 140... Absolutely no wind - first time I've seen that. Consequently the snow was a bit soft/deep/slushy to ski at 2PM; noon would have been the best time. In these conditions even a bad ski descent beats any descent on foot biggrin.gif ! If you go, leave early and bring twice as much fluids as you think you need (and three times the sunscreen cool.gif )! Cheers!

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message