Forum Index > Trail Talk > Trail Park Pass: Mt. Loop Highway - Is the highway a trailhead?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
mb

mb
PostWed May 29, 2002 12:53 pm 
On Memorial day me and a friend went up to lake 22 along with lots of other people. When we got back, there was a (empty) tow truck at the bottom, and all the cars parked along the mountain loop highway had little yellow envelopes on the windshield... 1) Was the tow truck operator writing the tickets? He finished some paperwork and drove off shortly afterwords. 2) More importantly, are shoulders of county highways paid for by county funds (which I believe is the case of the mt. loop highway) considered trailheads on forest roads? Yes, the road is within 1/4 mile of the trailhead at that point, but still...

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Skf Guy

Skf Guy
PostThu May 30, 2002 4:01 pm 
Boy, that's the first I've heard of that one? I do know a lot of fishermen park along the Hwy (river not open until June 1st) but I would think they don't write tickets for people parking along the river Hwy to enjoy that aspect of the outdoors, unless there is some specific danger involved along the stretch. Seems to me, if I or any others got a warning about parking on the Mt. Loop Hwy (a wide spot along the river) I would contest it in court. Sounds like a local tow truck driver trying stir up something (dollar gain) to me...

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote View IP address of poster
Sundance Kid
Hiking the Wasatch

Sundance Kid
Hiking the Wasatch
PostMon Jun 10, 2002 7:07 pm 
Parking on Mtn. Loop Highway
Right across the highway from the entrance to the Big Four Ice Caves Trailhead, there is a fairly large turnout where the creek passes under the road. My sister and I parked there last year and hiked to the Ice Caves; we didn't get a ticket. My opinion is if the county is funding the upkeep of the roads, we should be allowed to park on the side of the road without having to pay for the forest pass. Then again, it's hard to tell with the Forest Service...they sometimes like to play hardball and they might make an "agreement" with the county so that any road within 1/4 mile of the trailhead is included. Before you know it, we won't be able to drive the Mountain Loop Highway without paying. rant.gif

Just where is it I can find beaver, bear, and other critters that are worth cash money when skint?
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message