Forum Index > Trip Reports > Blythe Lk, Goose Lk, Marshes, Potholes Reservoir area
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Alan Bauer

Alan Bauer
PostWed Apr 14, 2004 10:01 pm 
I'd stay at Potholes State Park before I'd try the resort. Be warned that Potholes State Park is booked up full almost every weekend from May-September (where else do the west-side yahoos go to stay to go haul their jet skis, boats, and attempts at real fishing? smile.gif ). While the Columbia National Wildlife Refuge is dotted with fire rings at areas like the boat launches to Corral, Blythe, and Goose Lakes (and Black Lake on the SW side of things) off the top of my head I do not know if it is legal or not to camp there. I can't go look at my brochures and information packet from there either as I'm away from home right now on vacation. It is complicated actually as not the entire area is fully the NWR land---many pockets and corners of that entire area of public land is made up of WDFW land management, not the USDFW. Thus, just call them up and list off to them if any lakes other than Soda Lake Campground are open to camping or not. Their number will be very easy to find on the internet---the main office headquarters is in Othello, WA. Good luck!

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostThu Apr 15, 2004 8:16 am 
Camping within the WLR is not legal - Sarah and I were tempted to bootleg a backpack camp, but you can't miss the "Camping ONLY in Soda Lake C.G." and the "No Overnight Parking" signs. However, BLM property is dotted all over there too, and overnight camping is allowed. Call the Dept of Fish & Wildlife office in Othello and get a map. I haven't got around to doing it yet, but will this afternoon. There are brochure kiosks all over the place, but they were all void of brochures. The Soda Lk C.G. was quiet for us Saturday night. Some teenagers were listening to music, but it really was at a reasonable volume; however you know how sound carries, and though they weren't blasting the music, we could still hear it. They left around 9:30 after spending the evening tossing frisbees and footballs and barbecuing. Nothing raucous at all. It was pretty cool so see teenagers having a good time at a reasonable rate. Most of the campers (there are 9 sites) were either coulee appreciating that weekend, or like our neighbor, a fly-fisherwoman and birder (she said avocets were hanging around Migrane Lake!). But I lead a charmed life (for instance, I've always had Ancient Lakes to myself), so realize that this charmingness may not transfer over to everyone. I started reading "Cataclysm on the Columbia" again this week. The book begins with a background of J. Harlan Bretz' life and describes the Potholes area in particular. I highly recommend this book - it gives the arguments Bretz was up against, in trying to prove his theory. It's written in a way that anyone can understand what went on there.

"...Other than that, the post was more or less accurate." Bernardo, NW Hikers' Bureau Chief of Reporting
kiliki

kiliki
PostThu Apr 15, 2004 9:31 am 
Thanks Alan, Cliff, Quark, others-that was helpful. You know, I felt very out of place at Potholes-I think we were the only 206ers. We certainly had the smallest pickup (I think it was the only Toyota) and no giant rv. Lots of 360ers and 253ers for sure. Also, as my hair is neither permed nor dyed I did not even fit in among the few women there. M&S, I guess I thought that all fishermen were particular about their fish. I have a fly fishing friend who thinks anything but trout fishing is a ridiculous waste of time. Compared to the other fish you catch in Minnesota or Wisconsin-crappie, bass, perch, etc, walleye is probably top of the line. It's tasty enough, anyway, certainly better than those others.

salish

salish
PostThu Apr 15, 2004 10:47 am 
Kiliki - a little late on this fishing part, but I fly fish and I target just about all species, even carp smile.gif I have very little experience with walleye, but my wife's cousin brought some fillets down from Canada one time and we had a fish fry - in lard. It was the best fish I've ever eaten, anywhere, anytime. Cliff

My short-term memory is not as sharp as it used to be. Also, my short-term memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
kiliki

kiliki
PostThu Apr 15, 2004 11:08 am 
I'm not normally a fan of fried seafood, but the boyfriend did beer batter and fry our catch the other night, and it was delicious.

MooseAndSquirrel

MooseAndSquirrel
PostThu Apr 15, 2004 3:55 pm 
kiliki wrote:
Thanks Alan, Cliff, Quark, others-that was helpful. You know, I felt very out of place at Potholes-I think we were the only 206ers. We certainly had the smallest pickup (I think it was the only Toyota) and no giant rv. Lots of 360ers and 253ers for sure. Also, as my hair is neither permed nor dyed I did not even fit in among the few women there.
Watch it Kiliki! You're venturing into typecasting, stereotyping, and generalizing about Big-Haired wearing, pickup driving, RV-cruising, Made in the USA! And Proud of It! 360, 253 doodleheads!!! shakehead.gif Not that there is anything wrong with them.