Forum Index > Food & Grub > Best Hot Sauce, Best Salsa...Pepperhead thread
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
NWtrax

NWtrax
PostFri Jan 15, 2010 12:19 pm 
I like Tapatio as well. A little heat without altering the flavor of your meal too much. I also found Ketchup sized packets of it at 7-11 to take along backpacking! smile.gif

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Navy salad

Navy salad
PostSun Jan 17, 2010 4:16 pm 
Incidentally, since this thread also mentions salsa: Salsa works great with dehydration. Although most foods lose something (especially foods with aromatic spices) in the dehydration/rehydration process, salsa is the exception. To my taste buds, it rehydrates almost indistinguishable from the original product. Also, being so liquidy, it rehydrates down to almost zero weight.

Dante

Dante
PostSun Jan 17, 2010 5:41 pm 
TwoFortyJeff wrote:
Toonces wrote:
borank.gif
wub.gif
This I do also like Tabasco and Cholua though. God, why are hot sauce names so hard to spell?
Me three. You don't have to make a special trip to the I.D. for it anymore, either. For backpacking, I usually bring Tobasco Minis. Not the best, but they are the right size.

Lono

Lono
PostMon Jan 25, 2010 4:42 pm 
Me three - I like Cholula better by smidge, but Tapatio is right next to it on the shelf, and is 1/3 the cost of Cholula.

Gray
Lazy Hiker

Gray
Lazy Hiker
PostTue Jan 26, 2010 9:01 am 
While living near New Orleans, I had a chance to try a lot of different hot sauces. My favorite was, and still is, Melinda's Xtra Hot:
Their regular is good as well. Nice balance of heat, with awesome flavor, and no overpowering vinegar. IIRC, it's a habanero and carrot based sauce. I've found it at Met Market from time to time, and always at the various Latino markets in Pike Place, as well as the "ghetto" Red Apple near me (where I find so many of the things I can't find elsewhere; lard for carnitas, tasso for my baked beans, cheap hocks, etc). While I don't care at all for Tabasco, if you ever find yourself in the are, definitely check out their plant at Avery Isle, west of New Orleans and south of Baton Rouge. The tour is mildly interesting (the pickers are issued "le petit baton rouge", a little red stick, that the pepper has to match in color, or it isn't picked)... but the real treat is the bird sanctuary on the island. Stunning, and a great place to see a gator as well smile.gif --Gray

Gray
Lazy Hiker

Gray
Lazy Hiker
PostTue Jan 26, 2010 9:03 am 
While living near New Orleans, I had a chance to try a lot of different hot sauces. My favorite was, and still is, Melinda's Xtra Hot:
Their regular is good as well. Nice balance of heat, with awesome flavor, and no overpowering vinegar. IIRC, it's a habanero and carrot based sauce. I've found it at Met Market from time to time, and always at the various Latino markets in Pike Place, as well as the "ghetto" Red Apple near me (where I find so many of the things I can't find elsewhere; lard for carnitas, tasso for my baked beans, cheap hocks, etc). While I don't care at all for Tabasco, if you ever find yourself in the are, definitely check out their plant at Avery Isle, west of New Orleans and south of Baton Rouge. The tour is mildly interesting (the pickers are issued a "le petit baton rouge", a little red stick, that the pepper has to match in color, or it isn't picked)... but the real treat is the bird sanctuary on the island. Stunning, and a great place to see a gator as well smile.gif --Gray

Navy salad

Navy salad
PostTue Jan 26, 2010 9:24 am 
I've been able to buy Melinda's at the Safeway near my house as well as other places. I really like it, however (perhaps due to my taste in hot sauces emphasizing the "hot") in my opinion Melinda's doesn't live up to its billing as "extra hot". I like the stuff, but I found that we went through a bottle much too quick (I live with a family of spice lovers -- we typically refer to most others as "spice wimps"). Lately we've been favoring "Hot Sauce from Hell", mostly because it lasts longer. I wonder though if they've changed the formula on this, since in the past, two or three drops would be enough. Now, I typically put on about three or four shakes (not sure of the drop-equivalent, but it's a lot more).

Gray
Lazy Hiker

Gray
Lazy Hiker
PostTue Jan 26, 2010 9:27 am 
Oh yes, it's definitely not for people who want to have their heads catch on fire. I used to be one of those people, and I've just found that now I want a little kick, but more flavor. I believe they do have one a step up in heat from this, though I've not tried it. They also had a mango hot sauce that made a fantastic marinade/glaze for chicken on the grill. Soak overnight in the sauce, then baste liberally while grilling. Sweet, with just a bit of heat (perhaps add a dash of Sirracha to bump the heat even more). --Gray

Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostFri Feb 05, 2010 10:12 pm 
TwoFortyJeff wrote:
The one thing I don't like about Cholua/Tapatio is that they are runny. I used to try a new hot sauce every week. My favorite find was El Yucateco. It was $1.99 at Walmart. It is a bit hotter, but has great flavor and it's a little thicker. I haven't seen it in WA though.
This stuff is good, though the green version is my go-to haute sauzze. Widely available in Seattle as well as any Mexican grocery, no need to visit the dark side of WallMarttia to get your fix. chow.gif

www.allisonoutside.com follow me on Twitter! @AllisonLWoods
joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostTue Feb 09, 2010 12:56 am 
It is quite hot, but also has some flavor too. You can buy it online, or make it yourself.

Get Out and Go

Get Out and Go
PostSat Sep 12, 2020 4:05 pm 
The thread lives!...after 11 years since the last post... I've made it without buying "Sriracha with_______ product" phase; e.g. "Sriracha Mayo", I have mayo. I have Sriracha. I am still capable of combining them myself. biggrin.gif Anyway, we always have Frank's and Tapatio on hand. I also like Chili Garlic paste and the potent Trader Joe's Bomba.
Chili Garlic Sauce
Chili Garlic Sauce
TJ's Bomba
TJ's Bomba
flammable.gif

"These are the places you will find me hiding'...These are the places I will always go." (Down in the Valley by The Head and The Heart) "Sometimes you're happy. Sometimes you cry. Half of me is ocean. Half of me is sky." (Thanks, Tom Petty)
captain jack
Serving suggestion

captain jack
Serving suggestion
PostSat Sep 12, 2020 4:55 pm 
First, sweet necro bump up.gif
Jeff wrote:
My favorite find was El Yucateco
I always have the red, green, and black versions on hand, this is my go to hot sauce. Also, this one,
always the best on some sticky rice. I watch "The Hot Ones", and bought some of the sauces they feature, like Zombie Apocalypse, which is quite hot. This year, after trying to grow superhot varieties outside for a few seasons, with poor results , I stepped up my game and got a greenhouse. In the greenhouse I have just peppers. You want big scovilles, well I have Carolina Reapers, Moruga Scorpions, Purple Ghosts and Death Spirals. Also, some nice Scotch Bonnets, which have less heat, but a nice fruity flavor, like a Hab. does. Also growing Alma paprika peppers, which are great in eggs, or a salad, and used to make spicy mayo for chicken sammys. I like the sauces with fruit the best, so far I have made a fresh blackberry and purple ghost sauce, a scotch bonnet sauce with molasses and garlic, and a crazy hot death spiral sauce with red raspberries. Got a whole buch of fresh blueberries on hand, so I think I will do a blueberry ghost next.

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostSat Sep 12, 2020 7:09 pm 
I like Buffalo WW Habanero Mango and their Caribbean Jerk wing sauces. I found the Jerk at Walmart but not the Habanero. For me, they are the perfect combination of sweet and hot. For non fresh salsa my go to is Pace with the red lid (hot).

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Schenk
Off Leash Man

Location: Traveling, with the bear, to the other side of the Mountain
Schenk
Off Leash Man
PostSun Sep 13, 2020 7:30 am 
Don't overlook plain old ordinary ground cayenne pepper. Doesn't spoil, needs no refrigeration, weighs very little, takes up very little space in your pack (or spice shelf), and sparks up just about anything you put it on!

Nature exists with a stark indifference to humans' situation.
BigBrunyon

BigBrunyon
PostSun Sep 13, 2020 10:31 pm 
been on a big Buffalo kick lately. Been on a Buffalo kick.