Forum Index > Trip Reports > Tourons spotted in Vancouver BC
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Captain Trips

Captain Trips
PostThu Apr 15, 2004 9:43 pm 
Last weekend, the family and I went to Vancouver, BC. I hadn't been to the city for some years but wow, is this place cool ! You can cruise Robson Street with your super model, sample the best of truely international cusine, then motor up to Grouse Mtn in minutes. I wonder if there are any hiking trails comparable to Snoqualmie ? Does anyone have any experience with trails in this area ? Or perhaps some of God's own people, a Canadian may be nearby. What I wouldn't do for a downtown condo, near the top.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Captain Trips

Captain Trips
PostThu Apr 15, 2004 9:47 pm 
sorry for the extra large picture. That's my cold beer in the lower right corner.

Davidą
Token Canadian

Davidą
Token Canadian
PostFri Apr 16, 2004 7:40 am 
Never hiked the Snoqualimie so I have no frame of reference. As to hiking around Vancouver I have a whole webpage dedicated to that subject. In general I rate the North Shore (Grouse Grind & environs) extremely low. Too crowded, poor trails (mountain bikes) and scenic value of zero (unless you like views of the city). There are some nice areas just east of the city in the Fraser Valley (where our "base camp" is moving in about a week). All the really great hikes are near Squamish & Whistler (an hour+ north of the city) or on Mt. Baker

Warning! Posts may contain traces of sarcasm. Hiking Website: http://members.shaw.ca/karenanddavid/Index.htm
Captain Trips

Captain Trips
PostFri Apr 16, 2004 10:32 am 
David and Karen, A wonderful listing of outdoor experiences contained in your web site ! The Vancouver BC area does interest me as an opportunity for some great outdoor trips as well as a place to live. Would you have any recommendations of local authors who reveal the flavor of Vancouver, the culture and social interaction in fiction or non-fiction ?

touron

touron
PostFri Apr 16, 2004 10:45 pm 
DROCK, when you see Tourons, don't forget to put a lantern in the window. One if by land and two if by sea. hmmm.gif

Touron is a nougat of Arabic origin made with almonds and honey or sugar, without which it would just not be Christmas in Spain.
Hiker Boy
Hinking Fool

Hiker Boy
Hinking Fool
PostSat Apr 17, 2004 12:43 am 
DROCK, glad to see you had a good time up here. I agree with David & Karen about where the best hiking is. IHMO, Of the three northshore mountains, the hiking trails on Seymour are probably the best, especially in the winter for snowshoeing. Diez Vistas is a nice little hike close to the city as well.

Honey Badger Don't Care!
ridgewalker
Mountains and Rivers

ridgewalker
Mountains and Rivers
PostSat Apr 17, 2004 11:32 am 
There is an EXCELLENT book called, Don't Waste Your Time in Lower Mainland (I think). The authors put a lot of thought into this book, and it is great for us who have to sit in line at the boarder before hitting the trails. It cites hikes in the Lions, Cyprus, Grouse, and of course up Howle Sound. This Area is awesume. The contrast from flat delta to High Country is incrediable. There is also some good hiking, and Hotsprings up the Harrison Lake area. The Hotsprings hotel, is not what I am talking about on the Hotsprings, but way back, miles from Harrison Lake. -- Ridgewalker

MooseAndSquirrel

MooseAndSquirrel
PostSat Apr 17, 2004 12:23 pm 
DROCK wrote:
Last weekend, the family and I went to Vancouver, BC. I hadn't been to the city for some years but wow, is this place cool ! You can cruise Robson Street with your super model, sample the best of truely international cusine, then motor up to Grouse Mtn in minutes. I wonder if there are any hiking trails comparable to Snoqualmie ? Does anyone have any experience with trails in this area ? Or perhaps some of God's own people, a Canadian may be nearby. What I wouldn't do for a downtown condo, near the top.
Vancouver is EXCELLENT for its variety of cosmopolitan eats. I had killer East Indian one night, Chinese the next. Stanley Park and the promenade are world class. U. of British Columbia has an excellent museum featuring First Nations art and things. Despite what's been said about the Grouse Mtn. touristy tram, as your pic showed the views are sensational of the harbor and city below. Phhhhht. I had a great time sipping hard Canadian cider on the sunny deck looking out and down at the view. Its fun to do once anyway. I agree on the condo-living but good luck trying to find anything affordable in one of the most expensive cities in the world.