Forum Index > Pacific NW History > O'Neil expedition
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Phil

Phil
PostWed Apr 14, 2004 10:10 am 
I'm re-reading Wood's Men, Mules, Mountains. It's curious that he reports scouts going up Five stream, apparently past Wonder lakes, to somewhere on the ridges above, and from there viewing the Pacific ocean and Grays harbor. Anyone able to confirm the possibility of this? Seems there are numerous higher peaks between Wonder ridge and the ocean. I've been up there on cloudless days without noticing a big blue body of water to the west. Could have been the sweat and dirt in my eyes but I'd really like to hear other's opinions and direct observations. Anyone followed the O-Neil party's route past 4 stream on the west side of the skokomish?

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Voyageur

Voyageur
PostSun Apr 18, 2004 7:35 pm 
I am somewhat familiar with that area and I think that they could possibly be referring to Mt. Olson. From that spot you can see the ocean on a clear day. Anyone else have any suggestions?? The Press party climbed many peaks in this area.

Phil

Phil
PostMon Apr 19, 2004 10:00 pm 
Voyageur wrote:
I am somewhat familiar with that area and I think that they could possibly be referring to Mt. Olson. From that spot you can see the ocean on a clear day. Anyone else have any suggestions?? The Press party climbed many peaks in this area.
True they went lots of places. Mt. Olson sounds like a possibility although I find it difficult to believe that they would confuse what stream they were following. Without anyone offering direct support of their observations I'm inclined to think that the scouts, being human, gave dramatized accounts of what they could see from Wonder ridge. For example, if presented with clouds to the west/southwest, one might suggest that the ocean could be seen and that could be written in as an observation. Just a guess.