Forum Index > The Trading Post > Free gear giveaway! What you got? What you need?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
wiki summary

wiki summary
PostFri Jan 22, 2010 4:37 pm 
Yana needs: protective bits for ice axe (both for head and spike) Oneluv1's freeitem I have a pair of older Womens Asolo Stynger GTX boots. Size 9 w/ green super feet. THey seem to run a little small. Still in great condition and water proof. Slugman's free items: Two fiber-fill sleeping bags, mummy style, suitable for car camping Car camping stove, screws on top of green propane cylinder, plus a couple of cylinders (can't ship those) woffie offers: Sierra designs Glacier tent. Double-A, state-of-the-art in early 1970's. AllisonW needs: Bicycle stuff: headlight, non-knobby tires for mountain bike, women's seat, bar ends for mountain bike, bike shoes, women's 9. Also, wide-angle lens, pre-digital is ok, any major brand is ok, though Canon is best. EastKing needs... An overnight backpack with an ice axe loop. I am doing Glacier Peak and possible Gannett Peak and Grand Teton. damage wants fixable tarp tent, winter gloves, generic watch w/ alarm PatchesMcGill has: lightly used camelback bladder. 1> year old (3L hydrotitanium--it has a pinhole leak but can be fixed easily with some seam grip and it'll be good as new), and a random red colored nalgene bottle Backpacker Joe offers: 5.10 Vertical high top old style rock shoes size 9 used only once or twice. Cullman hikers tripod. Comes with camera base plate. Mtnwkr has Ruffwear dog pack, red, size small. Fit my 55lb vizsla well, could go up or down on size a little. Chevre NEEDS: Ice Axe 70 cm. Thank you.

Wiki summmary last edited by Jeff on Thu May 05, 2016 2:58 pm (this post can be edited by any member)
Back to top Reply to topic
Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostThu Jan 21, 2010 2:45 pm 
I needed a new cook pot, so I offered to split a set of MSR cookware on sale at REI with someone here. But it turns out I was offered a free cookpot, titanium, and you can't beat that, so never mind the MSR cook ware. But then I started thinking that I have perfectly good gear that I just don't use, and with new people always entering the backpacking life, and the recession, there might be a need for serviceable gear at no cost. This thread has been re-dedicated to people offering up decent gear for free, or people posting their gear needs. So, what you got? What you need? PS: You don't have to be broke or poor to enjoy free gear. If you feel guilty taking something for free, then pay it back by donating some gear of your own.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostThu Jan 21, 2010 3:43 pm 
I love the people at this website. The offers of free cookware are pouring in via PM. Well, one offer, anyway embarassedlaugh.gif . Stay tuned! Edit: a free titanium cook pot with lid and handle are on their way to me right now. You can't beat that! biggrin.gif Thanks, crwdog! So, what do I have in my gear closet? Hmm, gotta think a bit, I'll get back to you. PS: if you are new to the website, don't be shy! Claim a piece of gear if you need it or will use it.

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostFri Jan 22, 2010 11:02 am 
I have a Hennessey hammock, rated for 250 pounds, from before the A-Sym line, maybe ten years old? Nothing wrong with it, except what was wrong the day I bought it new: the rain fly is a joke, wouldn't protect you from spit. I also cannibalized the straps that protect the tree it is attached to. But if anyone is interested in trying out hammock camping, this hammock would be a good start. Hammock companies make strap kits, and of course a tarp works for a rain fly. The weight would be about 3 pounds with everything, less if you got a silnylon tarp. More items to come as I think of them.

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostFri Jan 22, 2010 2:02 pm 
Hammock claimed by PM. up.gif More to come. I'm shipping it to Oregon, and then he will pop a check in the mail for postage. Crwdog is doing the same for me for the cook pot. Trust is a wonderful thing. biggrin.gif

Traildad

Traildad
PostFri Jan 22, 2010 3:27 pm 
This is cool! Gotta dig through the gear closet tonight and see what falls out:)

Life is short so live it well.
Opus
Wannabe

Opus
Wannabe
PostFri Jan 22, 2010 4:27 pm 
Not the greatest free give away, but I have a Tarptent Double-Rainbow for anyone who wants it. I used it for 3 years. There are a few rips on the outer edges from tree branches and I wouldn't take it out in a storm but it's still holding up against drizzle well. The zipper on one side has failed, but I know not everyone cares about bug protection. Or maybe you have repair skills for this? (I dont.)

Bigfoot Jim

Bigfoot Jim
PostFri Jan 22, 2010 4:36 pm 
opus, Why wouldn't you take it in a storm? How big are the rips? Where they from a set up or while you were carrying it? Where is the tent?

Opus
Wannabe

Opus
Wannabe
PostFri Jan 22, 2010 5:12 pm 
The rips are along the far outer edges of the vestibules, most likely from contact when I pitched it too close to a tree, and the ends of the pole sleeve. I just cant vouch for the rain proofing from the seams. It's been through two serious storms with high winds stretching them and some of the stitching is a little frayed. I've re-seam sealed it but this tent is kind of a pain to seal well honestly. But it's been a great tent the past three years! I'm in Wallingford.

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostFri Jan 22, 2010 5:14 pm 
Now we're cooking! Let's all get that no-longer-used gear out of our closets and into the hands of those who will enjoy it. Of course really valuable items might need to be sold, not given away, there's no harm in that, but many items just aren't worth selling, like my ten-year-old hammock with missing tree straps, and that's what this thread is for.

seawallrunner
dilettante

seawallrunner
dilettante
PostFri Jan 22, 2010 8:15 pm 
Sluggo is this a GREAT idea. Between all of us here on NWH, we probably have the contents of a small REI store to give away or trade WHAT I HAVE TO GIVE AWAY / TRADE PM me if you are interested in one or few of the below: two thermarests (both standard length) - one spoken-for, one remaining one backpack (The North Face, about 30L) one soft-shell jacket, men's size M-L (Sierra Designs) - gone MSR Blacklite cookset (complete, but with dings and bruises - spotless clean though) MSR Miniworks water filter (blue edition, a little older than the current red edition, with a NEW filter) Sierra Designs 15F Shut Eye sleeping bag, down, used perhaps 40 times, still in excellent condition, spotless clean (professionally cleaned and in bag). Here is a review I made of this bag, on another site. I would use it, if I was not allergic to the down. spoken-for everything is in great condition, every single item was upstaged by something that is newer and MUCH lighter WHAT I NEED: a camp lantern, battery operated. My GE lantern died last year. It would be used for car-camping, not backpacking (too heavy). At least 26 lumens of light, please.

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostFri Jan 22, 2010 8:57 pm 
Good idea, c-wall, to include barter items. That will expand the field, yet still keep money out of the equation. This Sunday, during the endless commercials in the NFL playoff games, I'm going to root around in my gear closet and come up with a bunch of perfectly good items to post here. I'm sure I could equip a person with everything they would need to go backpacking. I know I have: the hammock, sleeping bag, camping pad, stove, water filter, aluminum cook pot, all used by me within the last two years, but now superseded by new purchases, yet none of it could I sell for any real money. What's a ten-year-old Sweetwater filter worth? The new owner will probably want to buy their own new cartridge, so the pump housing is basically worth no money. Same with an MSR Whisperlite stove I have. It's like new, but I don't have the fuel bottle or pump/valve thingy. Buying those as replacements would cost as much as I could get for the stove. So if anyone else can get some use out of it (it's not for solo backpackers like me), more power to them. PS: feel "free" to post gear needs here as well. Need a tent but got no cash? I'll bet someone here has one to give away. That's right, there's already been a tent given away.

ajax
stronger than dirt

ajax
stronger than dirt
PostFri Jan 22, 2010 9:30 pm 
This is a great thread-- hopefully I can come up with something to offer. It's such a great idea to give things back here and help others out that might need certain things. (Like me biggrin.gif). I got excited for a moment because I thought I had something--I found a fixed blade knife at Hidden Lake Peaks, never use it, and never will find the owner, but I just looked it up and it's a Winchester only worth $12. (Though if anyone still wants it, it's yours.) I feel funny throwing it away, so perhaps I'll deposit it at the TH for someone else to enjoy.

Magellan
Brutally Handsome

Magellan
Brutally Handsome
PostFri Jan 22, 2010 9:39 pm 
Cool! I must have some stuff to give away. Packs are the most likely since I have ten or so... embarassedlaugh.gif I will start digging in this weekend.

caver

caver
PostFri Jan 22, 2010 10:00 pm 
I'll get to my gear boxes tomorrow after work. I just moved in with my girlfriend and she buried them in the garage rant.gif I think she did it on purpose biggrin.gif I have no idea what all I'll have but I'm sure of a pot or two, alky stoves, tent stakes, stuff sacks, who knows yet. I just gotta return the karma. Great Idea, Thanks Slugman up.gif