Forum Index > Trip Reports > Ancient Lakes, 4/18/04
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
polarbear

polarbear
PostMon Apr 19, 2004 10:33 pm 
The 7 of us packed ourselves and gear into a Ford Explorer and headed east. The Explorer is a large car, but still small in comparison to the Chrysler Town and Country wagon I learned on. agree.gif With the gps unit telling us where to go from Seattle to Quincy, how could we get lost? It served as an irritating reminder that we were still on I-90. rolleyes.gif The clouds parted when we reached the pass, and it promised to be an excellent day. This would be my third trip to Ancient Lakes, but the weather had always been more overcast, and I was looking forward to it. Two people in our group had never been to the area, and one hand never been across the Columbia, so it would be day of adventure. One of them noticed the Potholes region on the map and commented that it was a good map that pointed out such road conditions. hmmm.gif We parked in the upper lot, which meant we would descend to the lakes. I'd never been in this way, and both ways have there merits. If you take the low route, you see the falls pouring into the distant lakes. If you take the upper, you descend alongside the falls. This was a nice way to go, and it was great hiking with t-shirts and shorts weather. We circled the first lake which was a neat shade of blue, and had lunch on the far hill, gazing at the reflected clouds in the rippling water. We then hiked past the other lakes and decided to climb the west ridge that divided the Ancient Lakes from Dusty Lake. Twenty minutes later, we realized that one of our group was missing. Arghhh! How can one get lost in the Ancient Lakes? A helicopter rescue would certainly be embarrassing. On the other hand, I thought, perhaps if I rescued him, I could demand the $10,000 rescue fee! cool.gif I pulled out the binoculars and scanned the terrain. Nada, no sign! Two of our group went looking for the lost sheep, while the rest ascended the ridge. We agreed to meet back at the car at 5:00. A short steep climb up the ridge revealed the calm blue Dusty Lake. A couple of fishermen were floating in tubes on her waters. A half hour later our group and the Lost Patrol had rejoined. We walked south along the ridge and circled back towards the cars. We stopped for burgers in Ellensburghers at a place which I can't remember the name of, but which served some tasty morsels.
down to the lakes
down to the lakes
falls
falls
where's waldo
where's waldo
window out
window out
clouds1
clouds1
clouds2
clouds2