Forum Index > Trail Talk > Three Fingers/Tupso Pass Road - impass washout
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
McPilchuck
Wild Bagger

McPilchuck
Wild Bagger
PostTue Jun 04, 2002 1:53 pm 
Through sources, unoffiial mind you, but second hand, I hear the Three Fingers/Tupso Pass road to the 3-fingers trailhead and other trailheads like Green Mtn. & the Forks trail, is washed out at the 7.5 mile mark from the Mtn. Loop Hwy. Anyone hear about this?

in the granite high-wild alpine land . . . www.alpinequest.com
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Stefan

Stefan
PostTue Jun 04, 2002 2:30 pm 
Don't know exactly but this tells the "somewhat status" of road conditions. http://66.155.42.150/advscripts/mbs_rd2_rpt.asp Road is closed at 4.5 miles due to snow. I might have to agree becuase at that milemarker the road is on a north aspect and reaches 2200 feet. There is snow on the Monte Cristo road and that is at 2300 feet. What is beyond the snow maybe the washout......

Art is an adventure.
lopper
off-route

lopper
off-route
PostTue Jun 04, 2002 3:01 pm 
Even if you can't reach road-end at Tupso Pass, there is an alternate route to Goat Flats. If you can get as far as the bridge across the SFK Canyon Creek, an old log road continues upstream along the N side, and will take you to a nice spur alongside Sevenmile Creek. Straight shot in big timber up to the Flats. That was the route we took in 1976 when the road was out.

Sawyer

Sawyer
PostTue Jun 04, 2002 3:52 pm 
And there is the historic route the lookouts from Darrington Ranger Station would use. Hike up the Boulder River trail, cross at "Boulder Ford Camp", and find the abandoned trail to Tupso Pass. Haven't tried it yet but it's on the abandoned trails list. Heard the Green Mt lookout was damaged this winter. Wonder if Three Fingers survived. There seems to be more damage this year, several washouts and lots of downed logs (e.g. 90 logs down on the Suiattle trail in first 2-3 miles). Maybe it's just a catching up process after last year being so mild?

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote View IP address of poster
Scrooge
Famous Grouse

Scrooge
Famous Grouse
PostTue Jun 04, 2002 8:52 pm 
The Suiattle blowdown would fit with what I found on Troublesome Creek. Far more blowdown and debris than in the previous six years combined. Also some new erosional deposition on those blowout fans, where I've never seen signs of activity previously. All this in spite of no major winter storms. Lopper. That logging spur on the north side of Canyon Creek looked pretty bad when we were there around '99. We'd been exploring all those spurs on the north side of Green Mountain, but I didn't follow that one more than 100' - bermed, trenched and overgrown. Sawyer. We saw the firetower route at the Tupso Pass end four or five years ago, nothing but flags. Somebody like you was obviously considering making a project out of it. As for the Boulder River ford, think September. That's a big drainage area in snowmelt, and a very wide spot in the river.

Something lost behind the ranges. Lost and waiting for you....... Go and find it. Go!
McPilchuck
Wild Bagger

McPilchuck
Wild Bagger
PostTue Jun 04, 2002 11:17 pm 
Thanks guys. What I understand however, is the road is washed out due to a slide down a creek from the heavy snow pack that occurred and took the road out at 7.5 miles, which is short of the 9 mile bridge that crosses the South Fork of Canyon Creek, as well as the spur that goes up that way for the climb up the steep rib to Goat Flats. At any rate, I was wondering if anyone had else had heard of it and if there was intended date the FS might fix it? Knowing their budget I even wonder if it's slated to be fixed? I've read the Squire creek slide is not slated to be fixed this year... As far as the Boulder River route: been there and done that, also been up the entire river itself to sources in 1985...the read and photos on my site under Mountain Solitude and Ode to Three Fingers. My concern is primarily that the road get fixed (emailed the FS today but no reply yet) so one can get the access to that specific trailhead, as well as the Forks Trail and then the Green Mtn. one, too.

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostWed Jun 05, 2002 6:19 am 
Well hell guys, get a rig with BIG tires and drive OVER the bloody slide! I've done it a few times! P.S., You'll need atleast 42" tires, but I'd suggest these! 44" boggers!

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Scrooge
Famous Grouse

Scrooge
Famous Grouse
PostWed Jun 05, 2002 7:20 am 
BPJ - Those won't even fit on my screen tongue.gif much less my car. moon.gif Welcome back. smile.gif

Something lost behind the ranges. Lost and waiting for you....... Go and find it. Go!
McPilchuck
Wild Bagger

McPilchuck
Wild Bagger
PostWed Jun 05, 2002 10:23 am 
BPJ, from what I hear that isn't in the cards, the road is gone, taken out, carved out.

PostMon Jun 10, 2002 9:05 pm 
Here's a reply from the FS, thought I'd pass it on: I have not heard of any plans to begin work on the slide yet. It is still very unstable and will need time to settle. From what I've heard, there is not much ground to work with because of the extreme drop off it left. You may want to check back with us within the next 2-3 weeks to get a more updated report. If you have any questions please call (360) 436-1155. Jodi M.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote View IP address of poster