Forum Index > Partners > Reiter Work Party Feb 13th
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
The Shocker

The Shocker
PostTue Feb 09, 2010 10:21 am 
Reiter Foothills Forest Restoration Work Party 9:30 to 3 p.m. February 13 Meet at the large gravel parking area, off Reiter Road. Join other volunteers and staff from the Washington State Department of Natural Resources to help repair environmental damage to May Creek in the Reiter Foothills Forest. We will work on two major unauthorized water crossings that threaten the stability of the stream bank and soils and also harm water quality. The restoration work is key to reopening Reiter to recreation. Please bring rakes, shovels, gloves, water and lunch. We could also use pickups with high clearance and quads with trailers to help haul wood chips to the area to help stabilize stream banks. Contact: David Way, 360-854-2830 or david.way@dnr.wa.gov.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Hulksmash
Cleaning up.

Hulksmash
Cleaning up.
PostTue Feb 09, 2010 11:53 am 
Welcome. Here's a few threads regarding Reiter https://www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=7965734&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0 https://www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=7974825&highlight=Reiter https://www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=7980079&highlight=Reiter One sorta relating to reiter. It's just one more place made more difficult to get to with reiter closed mad.gif I'll probably get a flogging for mere mention of this sensitive area. https://www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=7974795&highlight=North+Star Had not clue about the field day on the 27th. The DNR does a very poor job of reaching out to the hiking community....that is until they want money. rolleyes.gif Seriously close Mt Si? What were they thinking?$$crazy.gif If can't make it on the 27th. I should mention....i've read through the DNR documents. Unless there is anything new, building a trail to lake Isabel from Wallace Falls is an absolutely ridiculous proposal. It's something like a 16+ mile trek, requires multiple and expensive bridges. There is no overnight parking available, unless you pay to camp at the trail head. The parking is already way way over crowded. The forest service has already stated they have not interest in resurrecting the long abandoned trail. There already is a perfectly acceptable path, that is about 6 miles round trip (dependent one vehicle access) requires no bridges, only needs a few switch backs added to prevent erosion.

"Bears couldn't care less about us....we smell bad and don't taste too good. Bugs on the other hand see us as vending machines." - WetDog Albuterol! it's the 11th essential
Redwic
Unlisted Free Agent

Redwic
Unlisted Free Agent
PostTue Feb 09, 2010 2:01 pm 
I like the idea of a volunteer work party. I was disppointed that I missed out on the Lake Isabel and Mount Persis ones last year. I will have to check the schedule. ------------ This is a tad off-subject, but how accessible is the route to Ragged Lakes right now? A week or so ago, Ragged Ridge looked mostly barren of snow, until near their ridgetop. How far can a non-4WD vehicle drive back there for the Ragged Lakes route?

60 pounds lighter but not 60 points brighter.
Hulksmash
Cleaning up.

Hulksmash
Cleaning up.
PostTue Feb 09, 2010 2:06 pm 
Quote:
This is a tad off-subject, but how accessible is the route to Ragged Lakes right now? A week or so ago, Ragged Ridge looked mostly barren of snow, until near their ridgetop. How far can a non-4WD vehicle drive back there for the Ragged Lakes route?
Reiter is closed to all motorized vehicles right now. Meaning you have to start hiking from pavement. down.gif down.gif

"Bears couldn't care less about us....we smell bad and don't taste too good. Bugs on the other hand see us as vending machines." - WetDog Albuterol! it's the 11th essential
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostTue Feb 09, 2010 2:21 pm 
Im certainly not going to help anyone turn Reiter away from what its ALWAYS been, and ORV area. down.gif

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Redwic
Unlisted Free Agent

Redwic
Unlisted Free Agent
PostTue Feb 09, 2010 2:34 pm 
Pardon my typing language, but... WTF? I must have missed something. What happened to the road? I guess I have been behind the times during the past few months.

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostTue Feb 09, 2010 5:29 pm 
Shocker, I dont understand? I thought this was a "Hiking" work party? Ive wheeled at Rieter for Twenty years.

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
H. Hound

H. Hound
PostTue Feb 09, 2010 5:45 pm 
Quote:
On a side note: To the extremists that are on the other side that think the ORV community should have NO trails.... Just remember when your favorite secluded trail has tire marks and the pristine meadows are turned into mudbogs, You might...just *might* have been able to prevent it by leaving some forest for the rest of the users. Education is what is needed in the ORV community....not Banishment.
LOL. This is why many of us who aren't ORV enthusiasts feel Reiter should be left alone. Ya know keep the damage to one area and all that bs. The off road crowd is already seeking out new areas due to the Reiter closure (And I realy don't blame them at at all).

Redwic
Unlisted Free Agent

Redwic
Unlisted Free Agent
PostTue Feb 09, 2010 7:02 pm 
The Shocker wrote:
Reiter Road (the paved one) is still open as always. Any of the Dirt roads up there are closed to everyone except foot traffic.
Is that a permanent thing? Is that because of the Wild Sky Wilderness, or something else? So people cannot drive the back way to Index anymore? No way to get to the steelhead hatchery back there, either? I read the "DNR Planning" thread that was last posted during January, but even it did not seem to give a scope of the closure, its area, and its timeframe.

Joey
verrry senior member

Joey
verrry senior member
PostTue Feb 09, 2010 9:07 pm 
The Shocker wrote:
Reiter Road (the paved one) is still open as always. Any of the Dirt roads up there are closed to everyone except foot traffic.
Thanks for the info. I had been planning to drive up to Deer Creek Flat for the short hike to the top of the Index Wall. Looks like that photo op is on hold.

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostTue Feb 09, 2010 11:54 pm 
Ah the good ole days of crossing May creek.
Crossing May creek
Crossing May creek

Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostTue Feb 09, 2010 11:56 pm 
Quote:
On a side note: To the extremists that are on the other side that think the ORV community should have NO trails.... Just remember when your favorite secluded trail has tire marks and the pristine meadows are turned into mudbogs, You might...just *might* have been able to prevent it by leaving some forest for the rest of the users. Education is what is needed in the ORV community....not Banishment.
So hikers should be punished for Wilderness designation? shakehead.gif That's some crazily ignorant logic there--not going to get through to any hikers with that line of thinking....

www.allisonoutside.com follow me on Twitter! @AllisonLWoods
Scrooge
Famous Grouse

Scrooge
Famous Grouse
PostWed Feb 10, 2010 12:20 am 
Joey said
Quote:
Thanks for the info. I had been planning to drive up to Deer Creek Flat for the short hike to the top of the Index Wall. Looks like that photo op is on hold.
You do still have the option of hiking up the cliff. huh.gif Actually, it's a short hike worth doing in its own right.
Index Town Wall.route
Index Town Wall.route
Gunn Peak, Pt 5842, & Mt Baring from Index Town Wall
Something like 1200 feet in less than 2 miles. A nice workout, close to town, when your time is limited.

Something lost behind the ranges. Lost and waiting for you....... Go and find it. Go!
Hulksmash
Cleaning up.

Hulksmash
Cleaning up.
PostWed Feb 10, 2010 2:21 am 
I don't know whether to laugh of cry at this thread. rolleyes.gif It's the same old broken record of misconstruing others banter, the only thing it accomplishes is creating animosity. ( For a brief moment i thought i logged into the nwwheelers forum. confused.gif ) It's got to stop. That said, i did get a moment of clarity from this. Thank you Shocker. My interest primarily is hiking. However i do occasionally enjoy some wheeling, so i do understand both sides. But being primarily a hiker, i have been reluctant to get too deeply involved with recent action in Reiter, out of fear of diluting ORV opportunity's. After all it is primarily an ORV area. Closing the Reiter ORV area is painful for every one. Reopening it quicker, in what ever form that may be, is in the best interests for everyone. Its all to apparent that sitting on the sidelines and watching is not the correct action. (I wish i realized this earlier) I'll be there Saturday. Anyone else, or ya just gona sit behind the key board an whine?

Redwic
Unlisted Free Agent

Redwic
Unlisted Free Agent
PostWed Feb 10, 2010 2:40 am 
Scrooge wrote:
You do still have the option of hiking up the cliff. huh.gif Actually, it's a short hike worth doing in its own right.
Index Town Wall.route
Index Town Wall.route
Something like 1200 feet in less than 2 miles. A nice workout, close to town, when your time is limited.
I remember, back in the good old days, being able to get to the top of the Index Wall starting from near the Bush House Restaurant. It was very rewarding to get to the top, which had a plaque and American flag at the time. Several years ago, I tried refinding that route and got lost in a virtual labyrinth of trails leading to cliff dead-ends. The sketch map you posted sort of indicates the possibilities.
The Shocker wrote:
Reiter Road that goes to Index is OPEN. Reiter Road that goes by the hatchery is OPEN. Deer Flats rd (Dirt Road) is closed by a gate until the temporary closure is lifted. You can still hike back to the Index Wall but you have to park at the paved road.
Thank you for clarifying that. When people were writing that the unpaved sections of Reiter Road were closed, it had me concerned. So does anyone know when the "temporary" closure will be lifted? I plan to hike to the Ragged Ridge Lakes this year, and if it just adds another mile each way that's no big deal to me. (Sorry, but I cannot get myself to call them the North Star Creek Pots after knowing them by the other name since I was a kid growing up in the area.)