Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostWed Feb 10, 2010 3:16 am 
Hulksmash wrote:
I don't know whether to laugh of cry at this thread. I'll be there Saturday. Anyone else, or ya just gona sit behind the key board an whine?
Haven't seen whining, but I bet I'm not the only hiker who does not want to put in volunteer time cleaning up the messes the ORV'ers have left behind. shakehead.gif It's tough enough gathering the resources to do even routine maintenance on hiker trails.

www.allisonoutside.com follow me on Twitter! @AllisonLWoods
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Hulksmash
Cleaning up.

Hulksmash
Cleaning up.
PostWed Feb 10, 2010 12:48 pm 
Quote:
Haven't seen whining, but I bet I'm not the only hiker who does not want to put in volunteer time cleaning up the messes the ORV'ers have left behind. shakehead.gif It's tough enough gathering the resources to do even routine maintenance on hiker trails.
On the flip side i'd bet i'm not the only hiker who is willing to put in some volunteer time cleaning up ORV'ers mess's

"Bears couldn't care less about us....we smell bad and don't taste too good. Bugs on the other hand see us as vending machines." - WetDog Albuterol! it's the 11th essential
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostWed Feb 10, 2010 3:58 pm 
Hulksmash wrote:
Quote:
On the flip side i'd bet i'm not the only hiker who is willing to put in some volunteer time cleaning up ORV'ers mess's
I'm a hiker too for goodness sake. But I'm also a wheeler. How can anyone not understand the anger these people are experiencing when nearly every place to practice ORV activity has been under attack and taken away from these people. There are hundreds of thousands of miles to hike in this state! There are less and less places to wheel every year. I'm going to try and make it on Saturday. I suppose I can help restore what I once damaged.

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
GeoHiker
Rocky Walker

GeoHiker
Rocky Walker
PostWed Feb 10, 2010 3:59 pm 
I signed up for all the volunteer work parties and restoration weekends, but am still undecided if I'm going to dedicate any more of my time. I think it's a huge mistake to close down what has been the past 60 years an ORV area. I'm already seeing damage on many FS roads to the east of Reiter. Primary reason why FS6522 was temp. closed. 4x4's are going some where and it's going to lead to the closing of more FS roads in the future. Once the Reiter ORV money is gone ($104,000) there won't be anything left for hiking trails etc. It will be the normal DNR way, dig up, rock, block, gate, sign and 1,000s of acs will be unreachable because of no bridges, roads or trails. The only difference now DNR is getting free labor to do all this and a big happy face for their plan. shakehead.gif

You call some place paradise, kiss it goodbye......Eagles
Hulksmash
Cleaning up.

Hulksmash
Cleaning up.
PostSun Feb 14, 2010 10:24 am 
I attended the Reiter work party yesterday. There was a big turnout, not all of them were ORV'rs. I did not take any photo's as i was to busy operating a shovel. I have to say what i found most interesting is the level of cooperation between the DNR and ORV community. It is totally unlike any previous experience i have with the DNR. I have to wonder, what would it take for a less adversarial relationship with the DNR for the hiking community?

"Bears couldn't care less about us....we smell bad and don't taste too good. Bugs on the other hand see us as vending machines." - WetDog Albuterol! it's the 11th essential
Hulksmash
Cleaning up.

Hulksmash
Cleaning up.
PostSun Feb 14, 2010 1:00 pm 
Quote:
I was at the Restoration Field Day last weekend and there were some from the non-motorized who kept telling DNR that they needed to use a certain straw that was weed free rather then the chips that they were using already.
Quote:
Another was that someone raised some objection to cutting a couple trees down to help with restoration.
Thats sheer idiocy dizzy.gif It's inflexible special interest groups like that hurt everyone. It's why the state is forced to pay for expensive culvert "up grades" to provide migratory fish passage\habitat on creeks which are upstream from multiple natural fish barriers, and a dam with no fish ladder. Or be forced to spend money removing culverts to provide fish habitat, where fish will never be able to reach. shakehead.gif

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostMon Feb 15, 2010 8:30 pm 
Thanks for the pics - and the good work, Shocker. Restoration efforts are always appreciated, regardless of one's method of recreation. up.gif

"...Other than that, the post was more or less accurate." Bernardo, NW Hikers' Bureau Chief of Reporting
Jimbo

Jimbo
PostTue Feb 16, 2010 8:29 am 
Oops

Guns only have two enemies; rust and politicians
Jimbo

Jimbo
PostTue Feb 16, 2010 8:30 am 
(A) for efforts (D) to (F) for what the end result may be. DNR owns 1,000 acers on top, Deer Flat. They need to have bridges put in to cross Hogerty creek @ upper staging area. 100K won't get that done. In camp last night, GBNT we heard that if it's going to open it won't be till 2012 bawl.gif David from Sedro Wolly DNR said that Reiter has way to many people using the area ??? Now the bike shops are saying that the word is Walking is over run with ORV's. So were will it end shakehead.gif We all need a place to play. I could run the Reiter area from West or bottom to top, tower and back in 3-4 hours on a bike. It's not that big of an area and if the upper area is re-opened for use I'm sure they will try and make it a day use only with a # of users. The crappy part is the man is slowly closing us ALL out of the woods. Hiking or ORVing confused.gif

Jimbo

Jimbo
PostTue Feb 16, 2010 9:39 am 
Never get Nova money back. Never have, it's in the slush fund and that's the problem. Hell, fishing license cost you'd think went to fishing. 1% I think and that isn't nut'n.. Problem with Reiter is, it's a hill side of water drainage. Been seeing lot's of trailered rigs coming back from East Hwy 2 so there finding other place's to play. They tried to shut down Walking in the winter some time ago but we the user groups got with the DNR and said WHY. It was about a few trails that are susceptible to erosion in winter months. So, why just close those and not the whole area doh.gif And to day it still works that way. Why Reiter couldn't get that kinda offering is maddening. I've done the clean ups for a long time and don't see this happening this year. https://www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=13999&highlight=reiter+clean+up