Forum Index > Trip Reports > Norse Peak Trail 4/24/04
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostSat Apr 24, 2004 4:06 pm 
Rainrunner, Ford and me headed up to Crystal Mt. area this morning to check out what had just been labeled as "open". The side FS rd up to the TH is still gated, but that isn't an issue to park on the side rd. The trail has come thru winter in great shape. We passed a few snow patches in the first 3 or so miles, all of which 2 were passable on the side. Saw lots of fresh coyote scat.....We hit heavier snow below the Norse Peak View turnoff, maybe 1/2 mile away?? Still passable though. We walked back down to a nice perch on the rocks, in the sun and had a long lunch staring down at the ski area, and up at Norse Peak. We were in the low 5,000 ft range with no snow. The melt off up there is happening fast. Give another week or two and that area is going to be even better! The alpine smell is there, no bugs...pure heaven...all that was missing was some flowers wink.gif Photos: Me at our lunch spot Rainy and Ford as we were heading back A picture looking at the ski area and Crystal Mt.

https://trailcooking.com/ Eat well on the trail.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
rainrunner

rainrunner
PostSat Apr 24, 2004 4:22 pm 
What a BEAUTIFUL day! Couldn't think of a better thing to do...but go hiking! Nothing beats smelling fresh alpine air...after a long winter! Here's a few more pics...please excuse the one that is....um...not quite as outdoorsy as the rest. LOL http://community.webshots.com/album/137124855TmZmRW

dicentra
Plant Geek

dicentra
Plant Geek
PostSun Apr 25, 2004 5:13 pm 
Sorry I missed out on it... Next weekend I promise! I blame...... FORD!! Its all his fault! jab.gif

sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostSun Apr 25, 2004 6:03 pm 
LOL! Man, I don't know what we caught-but that flu or whatever knocked me down-and Synchro has had it since friday-he is finally starting to feel somewhat better....Thing is, Ford didn't get sick this week! Drew maybe?? paranoid.gif wink.gif

rainrunner

rainrunner
PostSun Apr 25, 2004 6:52 pm 
I don't know what the 2 of you have been up to...I'm fit as a fiddle with no signs of being sick. I know - you ran off to "make friends" with the drunks next door in the jumbo house-of-a-tent once I fell asleep. That'll show you! tongue.gif

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostSun Apr 25, 2004 6:52 pm 
Sare, you guys need to get out someplace OTHER than Mt. Tacoma for once. You're always going there? I know you did that Olympics thing the other day, but how about ALW, or NCNP? TB

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostSun Apr 25, 2004 6:58 pm 
biggrin.gif Well, we seem to do either the Olympics or The Rainier area since it is so close for the PNWH people. I used to hike up at Baker and the NCNP area in 2001/2002 before I moved south. We are planning a couple backpacks up north this summer though smile.gif Yum! I did some basic hikes in the ALW last year, I am hoping to do a lot more this year and get pretty far in. I knd of dedicated last summer to Rainier. In August I am doing the Wonderland in 7 nights/8 days-got my permit about 2 weeks ago...yummy! biggrin.gif Btw, we are doing a backpacking trip on May 15/16th over on the back side of Rainier. Should be fun-it will be our monthly "big" trip (ie. most of the core group).