Forum Index > Trip Reports > An Awesome Trip up Middle Chiwaukum
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Josh Journey
a.k.a Josh Lewis

Josh Journey
a.k.a Josh Lewis
PostMon Mar 01, 2010 9:05 pm 
Getting the trip organized was a hassile! At first we all wanted to do Eldorado Peak, but the avalanche danger looked a bit too high, so then we considered Ruby, but even Ruby seemed a bit dangerous at this time of year. After going back and forth between idea's EastKing stepped in and said "Ok, I'm getting sick of this, I say we go with my original idea of Middle Chiwaukum", which at this point we all agreed because it seemed decently safe sounding and decent. Great call by the way. On this trip the people who came were Gimpilator, EastKing, Michael, Robin, and I. The night before we left was very beautiful with the sunset clouds, and later mood lit clouds that were fast moving.
When I set out to go to bed I thought I set my alarm clock because it had the light indicating that I did, perhaps I made a mistake. At 4:32 a.m. my brother rushes in my room telling me we gotta get ready! I was in a panic, I meant to wake up at 4:00 a.m. and now had less than 15 minutes to change my clothes, get all my water, gather all my food and get the rest of my gear together. After rushing to grab everything last second, fortunatly I make it in time without forgeting anything, except for breakfast... fortunatly I had some food later to make up for this. Gimpilator picked us up in Robin's car and we headed for Middle Chiwaukum. After turning off of highway 2 we were a bit worried about the snow on the ground because not only could it potentially be slick, but we would hear scraping on the bottom of the car because it was low clearance. Fortunatly no damage and we got to the turn around ok. The hike started out on the flat road which went 2.5 miles or so in snow. After this we began to head right up the mountain from the summer trailhead. We put on crampons although after a little while one of mine fell off so I put away and stayed with one. Everyone had a good pace going up. Soon we had to start using snow shoes, so I was breaking trail at this part, although Michael broke trail as well for a while. I began to feel a little weak perhaps from not having breakfast, but once the group stopped to eat, I felt much better.
Starting Out
Starting Out
Walking the Road
Walking the Road
After a while I started to get tired and let Gimpilator break trail for us which was a relief. One thing about already doing most of the route is that you know how long each part is, in a sense the knowledge makes the trip feel longer because you anticipate whats ahead. The sun finally had an appearance, unfortunatly my glacier glasses kept fogging up, and I would have troubles with the strap so I would decide to wear none, although then my eyes would hurt and I would have to squint. After a little while Michael was generous and let me use his, Gimpilator had a rigged pair of eye cover ups, which broke about an hour later.
Gimpilator Taking the Lead
Gimpilator Taking the Lead
One of the Chutes off to the Side
One of the Chutes off to the Side
The East Ridge
The East Ridge
Once again the summit comes into view and intimidates me. We originally planned to the pass bypassing the high point saving us effort and time, but we found that it would be dangerous to traverse the slope due to avalanche danger. Gimpilator decided to go up to the high point and see from there, by now we all were questioning wether or not we would make the summit, we almost turned around, although Robin did turn around at this point and waited for us until we got back a long time later.
Our Summit in View
Our Summit in View
Bird Print
Bird Print
The False Summit
The False Summit
Sloan Peak
Sloan Peak
Glacier Peak
Glacier Peak
Getting out your ice axe on a step section I realized was a bit worrysome, as I dig into my pack, I almost loose my footing which gives me a bit of a scare. Once I got my ice axe I felt better, although did not like the ice under the snow. Once past the false summit I felt much safer, ditched my ski polls and Gimpilator and me headed for the acual summit. At what appeared to be a pass between the false and real summit we finally saw EastKing catching up. The snow formations up here were very unique, almost unreal seeming. Once EastKing caught up we all headed up for the summit and wondered if Michael was going to because he stopped way behind.
Monte Cristo Peaks
Monte Cristo Peaks
Once we got to the big mound we also ditched our snowshoes because it would be much too dangerous to wear up on the ridge, even if it were deep snow. The ridge reminded me of the ridge on Eldorado and had us on our toes. Both sides were steep and at first I was questioning if it were even possible, Gimpilator was leading the way. In a sense it was a good thing it was a ridge because it lowered avalanche danger, from a distance the summit seems dangerous. Another worry was the cornice on the summit, I feared that we might get 15 feet short, but Gimpilator always made sure that his ice axe could hit rock.
Gimpilator Leading Up
Gimpilator Leading Up
After we got off the main ridge the last 100 feet was a walk up until we got on the summit! The view was incredible, one of the best I have seen this year (Already this year I have seen some pretty intense mountain views). We took a few photos and then headed down. We acually did not have to down climb the ridge to my amazement. Once we got off the ridge and got to the pass, my tiredness was finally catching up to me. Going back up to the false summit was very tiresome, I had a bit of a pounding headache and was running low on water, glad I had some salts. After the false summit we took off our crampons back to snow shoes, by this point I felt like I could fly down the mountain. The funny part was after putting on some sunscreen, I found my other pair of glasses in my pack! embarassedlaugh.gif
Eastking and Gimpilator on the Summit
Eastking and Gimpilator on the Summit
Me on the Summit
Me on the Summit
Michael on the Summit
Michael on the Summit
Glacier Peak
Glacier Peak
Looking South
Looking South
Heading Down
Heading Down
Heading back up to the False Summit
Heading back up to the False Summit
Looking North
Looking North
Looking Back
Looking Back
Balled Crampons
Balled Crampons
Looking Back up at the False Summit
Looking Back up at the False Summit
Looking South
Looking South
Last Look at Glacier Peak
Last Look at Glacier Peak
Taking a Break
Taking a Break
The True and False Summit
The True and False Summit
On the way down I had some stumble moments, a few glassades and some nice conversations. There were some tree bombs, which are when trees dump a lot of snow off of them so we had to be careful when below trees. Later as it got dark Eastking had a little trouble because he was very tired, and the stumbling drained him even more so I stayed back with his, although by accident got us both off route at the end, but was ok because we got to the road anyways. I believe he was feeling the same way I was the last time I was here and seeing things. I'll admit on this trip one of the scariest parts for me was when I saw a tree stump in front of me and I thought it was someone creeping up on us. lol.gif The road walk felt like a long time as they always do on the way down. Once we got to the car I was relieved that everyone made it down safe and we all had a blast! I don't think we could have picked a better peak with the given conditions. Special Thanks to Everyone who came, Robin for the car ride and good conversations (and the cookies), Eastking for choosing the place and being a good member of the group, Michael for helping break trail and letting me use your sun glasses, Gimpilator for driving and navigating the route. We all did good, and am excited for our future trips!

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Gimpilator
infinity/21M

Gimpilator
infinity/21M
PostMon Mar 01, 2010 9:17 pm 
Full Size Panorama A wonderful day in the mountains. One of the most enjoyable winter ascents I've ever done. Our team was strong and we all worked well together.

EastKing
Surfing and Hiking

EastKing
Surfing and Hiking
PostMon Mar 01, 2010 9:19 pm 
Absolutely amazing trip. One of the best winter ascent I have ever done!!!! Here are some of my pics...
Middle Chiwaukum
Middle Chiwaukum
Middle Chiwaukum
Middle Chiwaukum
Middle Chiwaukum
Middle Chiwaukum
Middle Chiwaukum
Middle Chiwaukum
Glacier Peak
Glacier Peak
Heading down
Heading down
Big Chiwaukum
Big Chiwaukum
Middle Chiwaukum summit
Middle Chiwaukum summit
Adam going down
Adam going down
Middle Chiwaukum summit
Middle Chiwaukum summit

YouTube | SummitPost Saw the depths of despair. Now I am salvaging what time I have left on Earth.
the Zachster

the Zachster
PostMon Mar 01, 2010 9:36 pm 
Beautiful pics. Sounds like an excellent adventure! up.gif

"May I always be the kind of person my dog thinks I am"
Movenhike
\m/..mmmmetal\m/

Movenhike
\m/..mmmmetal\m/
PostMon Mar 01, 2010 9:36 pm 
Wayout Pics, Looks Epic, seriously some nice photos in there!!

"Make it your Friend" -John Bull
RokIzGud
Cozza Frenzy

RokIzGud
Cozza Frenzy
PostMon Mar 01, 2010 10:04 pm 
Right on, guys! Really awesome pictures. Looks like a great winter trip! Nice writting, Josh! up.gif up.gif

North by Northwest
mtn.climber

mtn.climber
PostMon Mar 01, 2010 10:21 pm 
Way to get it done this time around. Wish I could've been on the top with you.

Reach for the sky, cuz tomorrow may never come. Live the life of love. Love the life you live.
Redwic
Unlisted Free Agent

Redwic
Unlisted Free Agent
PostMon Mar 01, 2010 10:28 pm 
Wowsers!!! Nice!!! Wonderful!!! I just wish I had been invited, to share in the experience. rolleyes.gif

60 pounds lighter but not 60 points brighter.
EastKing
Surfing and Hiking

EastKing
Surfing and Hiking
PostMon Mar 01, 2010 10:40 pm 
I just realized this!! 30000 feet of elevation gain on mostly snow in the month of February! Way to go Josh!!!

YouTube | SummitPost Saw the depths of despair. Now I am salvaging what time I have left on Earth.
Damian

Damian
PostMon Mar 01, 2010 11:06 pm 
Excellent work all around Josh. Congrats.

Magellan
Brutally Handsome

Magellan
Brutally Handsome
PostMon Mar 01, 2010 11:09 pm 
Nice work fellas. It looks like a real beauty! up.gif up.gif What day did you do the trip? How long was the round trip time?

EastKing
Surfing and Hiking

EastKing
Surfing and Hiking
PostMon Mar 01, 2010 11:38 pm 
Magellan wrote:
Nice work fellas. It looks like a real beauty! up.gif up.gif What day did you do the trip? How long was the round trip time?
We did the trip on Sunday. The trip was actually 10 p.m. decision. We were originally going to Eldorado, then Ruby, then Kyes and finally decide to lock on Middle Chiwaukum at the last minute. One of the reasons why this mountain attempt turned successful was because Josh, Mike and I had already been there. Stats: 11 mile roundtrip roughly 6000' elevation gain due to having to summit Point 7130 first. 12 hours due to decision making, breaks, and constantly changing gear
Quote:
Wowsers!!! Nice!!! Wonderful!!! I just wish I had been invited, to share in the experience.
Sorry Redwic but we thought you were already commited to another trip or you would have been invited. There was a lot of confusion and I apologize to anyone who felt left out of the trip. I know there were a number of you and I am sorry about that. Hopefully there will be a makeup date on another mountain next week. As stated in the report Eldorado was the first pick then came a huge amount of other mountains mentioned and this ended up being the final mountain.

hitda peakz

hitda peakz
PostTue Mar 02, 2010 12:03 am 
stun.gif wow!!!! your trip reports keep getting better and better! Sounds like it was a very awesome trip. If you ever head to the south sound area, and need some more people....toss me a pm.... biggrin.gif

Go Jo
of the lykkens

Go Jo
of the lykkens
PostTue Mar 02, 2010 12:21 am 
To have a great experience with a strong team is what it's all about... for you. For me, it's all about the awesome eye candy you share on the internet when you get back! winksmile.gif Just kidding, it's wonderful to read these new and improved trip reports from you Flow. I believe you've found a solid & compatible group to share your mountain ambitions with. Keep it up! up.gif up.gif

BearQueen
Ready to Go

BearQueen
Ready to Go
PostTue Mar 02, 2010 5:57 am 
Awesome TR and pics! up.gif Pretty incredible!! Now I know why EastKing wanted to go there.

"You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one. I hope someday you'll join us, and the world will live as one." by John Lennon I hope to do some summits and waterfalls this year with my husband EastKing.