Forum Index > Trip Reports > Frozen Mt.
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Mike Collins

Mike Collins
PostSun Jun 09, 2002 6:07 pm 
This peak offered a nice combination of mountain biking and hiking. It is eight miles in on smooth logging roads. Then one starts a cross-country jaunt to reach the summit. The road along the North Fork of the Tolt will be entirely to yourself as a huge landslide across Proctor Creek has blocked any access by motorized vehicles. Beave and I climbed this peak on Friday but didn't see the top because of rain/snow/clouds.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Sundance Kid
Hiking the Wasatch

Sundance Kid
Hiking the Wasatch
PostSun Jun 09, 2002 6:37 pm 
North Fork of Tolt?
How is it that you gained access to the North Fork Tolt River Road? For years I have been trying to get in there, to go see the reservoir and such, but all the roads seem to be gated and the officials that are out there always turn me away. rant.gif I have tried from the Stossel Creek Road, but with no luck. Is there a separate road that connects to the North Fork Road? It seems that you could get to Frozen Mountain from Highway 2 at Baring, but since you mentioned the North Fork Road, I thought you had driven up that.

Just where is it I can find beaver, bear, and other critters that are worth cash money when skint?
Mike Collins

Mike Collins
PostSun Jun 09, 2002 7:59 pm 
Access to North Fork of Tolt Road
Perhaps you are confusing the North Fork of the Tolt with its sister the South Fork of the Tolt. The South Fork drains into the reservoir which provides about 1/3 of Seatlle's water and is a restricted area. The North Fork can be accessed quite easily from the Proctor Creek road. The South Fork could be accessed from Money Creek road with just a little cross-country travel by Lake Elizabeth. I am very interested in climbing the west peak of Red Mt (PT 5447) in that area if you want to connect on that. If you had the energy of a wolverine you could access Frozen from Baring. The beta I got on that route was that some seasoned offtrail hikers got beat up in the Index Creek drainage. Plus, a more complete writeup I did for WTA mentions some Class 4 rock on that approach. Stay on the North Fork Tolt side to do Frozen.

Sundance Kid
Hiking the Wasatch

Sundance Kid
Hiking the Wasatch
PostMon Jun 10, 2002 11:25 am 
Red Mountain
Hi Mike, I would be interested in climbing Red Mountain as well, but I have to admit that I haven't too much experience with real "mountaineering." I have done some rock climbing, and I have my own rope and gear. However, I have very little experience leading, and no experience on trad routes. If you are willing to teach me as we go, I am all for it. I learn quickly, and if the route requires protection, maybe you could lead and I could follow. Tell me a bit more about this route! smile.gif

Just where is it I can find beaver, bear, and other critters that are worth cash money when skint?