Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > movie lines
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Butch

Butch
PostMon Jun 10, 2002 7:53 am 
Hey Kid, I thought it was Jeremiah (no bullfrog) that said that line about gettin' beavers and critters skint? lol.gif lol.gif

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote View IP address of poster
Sundance Kid
Hiking the Wasatch

Sundance Kid
Hiking the Wasatch
PostMon Jun 10, 2002 8:54 am 
Yup. It was. I just like both movies. And plus, I couldn't figure out a better line from Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid. So, this was the next best thing... wink.gif

Just where is it I can find beaver, bear, and other critters that are worth cash money when skint?
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Dslayer

Dslayer
PostMon Jun 10, 2002 9:45 am 
Sundance- Are you a seroius Jeremiah Johnson afficionado-I've been fantasizing about the Mountain Men since I first saw the movie back when I was but a young buck.

"The Second Amendment of the Bill of Rights is my concealed weapon permit."-Ted Nugent
Sundance Kid
Hiking the Wasatch

Sundance Kid
Hiking the Wasatch
PostMon Jun 10, 2002 11:31 am 
Yessirree, I love Jeremiah Johnson. I've only seen it three times, but I just learned about it a couple of months ago. What's more, I live about 20 minutes away from Sundance, Robert Redford's ski resort and mainly the area where Jereamiah Johnson was filmed. I do quite a bit of exploring up in the Mount Timpanogos area, so when I saw that movie and saw that most of it was filmed on Timp, I was fascinated. I'm also a big fan of westerns, and Robert Redford's old west accent was great. Many times I have considered leaving the city life behind and going up to the mountain and learning how to live off the land on my own. I haven't quite gotten to that point yet, but I think it would be cool. agree.gif

Just where is it I can find beaver, bear, and other critters that are worth cash money when skint?
Dslayer

Dslayer
PostMon Jun 10, 2002 12:12 pm 
That would be cool to see and hang out in some of the country that the movie was filmed in. The movie was based very loosely on the life of a mountain man who lived in the mountains after the 'high mountain man' era and who engaged in a personal war with the Crows for the murder of his wife-the real guy, John Johnson is described as being built like an NFL linebacker-incredible strength and physical prowess who marked his kills by eating the liver, or part of it, of his victims. The movie is more close to the book Mountain Man by Vardis Fisher-hard to get, but available from used books sites-it is the greatest novel I've ever read about life in the mountains during that era-if you like the movie and you're into the mountain men-you'll love this book. There are books about the life of the Crow Killer-more of the true to life stuff-I can't seem to find mine right now--one is called Crow Killer-stories from his contemporaries. The two guys portrayed in the movie, Bear Claw Chris Lapp and Del Gue were actual life characters, Lapp just disappeared but much of the life of the Crow Killer comes from Del Gue. The Liver Eater himself never sought notoriety. I think about living all the land like the mountain all the time myself-hard to leave behind repsonsibilites like family and all-I count myself as lucky to get to spend as much time outdoors as I do.

"The Second Amendment of the Bill of Rights is my concealed weapon permit."-Ted Nugent
Sundance Kid
Hiking the Wasatch

Sundance Kid
Hiking the Wasatch
PostMon Jun 10, 2002 6:38 pm 
Jeremiah Johnson Territory
Here are a few pictures that I have taken (before I got a good camera) of the area around Sundance and Mt. Timpanogos where Jereamiah Johnson was filmed. Enjoy!! biggrin.gif
the main trail to the top of timpanogos follows this basin
the main trail to the top of timpanogos follows this basin
cascade cirque at sundance - notice the chairlift
cascade cirque at sundance - notice the chairlift
most of the backside of mt. timpanogos
most of the backside of mt. timpanogos

Newt
Short Timer

Newt
Short Timer
PostMon Jun 10, 2002 7:33 pm 
The backside of Timpanagos taken from the Heber City/Provo road? Was in Heber City for 2 weeks for the Olympic games. Wanted to hike to the caves but considering the snow/time and I think they were closed I didn't get a chance. I forget the story behind the name but it was rather interesting. A warrior and Indian maiden from different tribes that were in love? I had a chance to live off the land and be self sufficient but blew it. For some unknown reason I got a job. Then bills. Then got sucked up in the system. Once my house is sold I'm debt free and gone. Anyone ever read Trask? Heard it was a fairly decent read about the PNW. NN smile.gif
Tim in Feb
Tim in Feb

It's pretty safe to say that if we take all of man kinds accumulated knowledge, we still don't know everything. So, I hope you understand why I don't believe you know everything. But then again, maybe you do.
Sundance Kid
Hiking the Wasatch

Sundance Kid
Hiking the Wasatch
PostMon Jun 10, 2002 8:48 pm 
Nice Pic
NN - That's a very nice pic of the backside of Timp. Exactly where did you take that from? It looks like southwest Heber, kind of toward Daniel's Canyon. The pic that I posted of the backside of Timpanogos was taken from somewhere up on the Silver Lake Flat Road. You can see American Fork Canyon running across the side of the picture, right in front of the Timpanogos massif. As it runs to the left you can see it is split by a ridge. If you go left at this fork, you arrive at Tibble Fork Reservoir (better get out your map) agree.gif and from there you can drive up a good dirt road to Silver Lake Flat Reservoir, some 1000 vertical feet higher. Now, back to the fork in the road. If you go to the right, it takes you up on the Alpine Loop Scenic Byway, which climbs to the Timp Divide, then drops back down past Aspen Grove and Sundance to Provo Canyon (through which the Provo/Heber road runs). The story behind Timpanogos you heard is one of about three different renditions told by locals around here. Is the one you heard the one where the warrior kicks a bear out of his den so he and the girl could live there? There are many versions of the story. You might try finding a book called Timpanogos Town by Howard R. Driggs. That has one story or another. I also have a copy of some history that I got from the Forest Service a while back. If you want a copy, I am coming back to Seattle in a week or so, so let me know if you want one. Now that I have looked a little bit, I seem to have found this wonderful link: http://www.timpfest.org/about/legends.html Go to it!

Newt
Short Timer

Newt
Short Timer
PostTue Jun 11, 2002 4:39 am 
SW it is. From a condo we were staying at a few blocks from the intersection of the Provo hiway. Somewhere near a Texaco station and a neat looking outdoor store that was never open even when the sign said open. When ever we were in close proximity the clouds did a good job of covering it so nothing up closer. I got the story in some visitor lit. Not quit the same but interesting none the less Timpanogos looked so much different than all the other mountains in the area that it was highly noticeable. Was a pretty neato drive to Provo too. NN smile.gif

It's pretty safe to say that if we take all of man kinds accumulated knowledge, we still don't know everything. So, I hope you understand why I don't believe you know everything. But then again, maybe you do.
salish

salish
PostMon Jun 24, 2002 7:24 pm 
Jeremiah Johnson
One of our tribal members acted in the movie. If you recall the scene where Del & Johnson were riding into the Flathead camp, Del lifts several Blackfeet scalps off his horse and lays them across Johnson's saddle, erroneously believing he was enterring a Blackfeet camp. The one Indian dude that walks up to him speaking in a flast clip, high pitched, excited tone, is Johnny Arlee, and he is speaking in the Salish language. There is a long history with our tribe and other plateau tribes with trappers and mountain men. I am descended from a long line of "half breeds" and am a direct descendent of "Blind Micheal Revais", who was an early French trapper in the Flathead & Bitterroot Valleys, who married into our tribe. The history is fun, and what an incredible time it must have been back then.

My short-term memory is not as sharp as it used to be. Also, my short-term memory's not as sharp as it used to be.