Forum Index > Trip Reports > Trout lake 5-2-04
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostMon May 03, 2004 8:45 am 
I headed out to Trout lake Sunday with Daisy the Wonder Dog and Yetiman. Thanks to Ebenezer Hiker's May 1st (WTA) trip report on W Fork Foss, I knew we could cross the bridge listed as "out" by the Forest Service. The bridge is no problem at all. We got to the trailhead at 10 am, and had to back at the car by 3 pm, so we didn't even try for Copper lake. The trail starts out in nice forest, then reaches the river crossing. There is a cool bridge over a tributary, then you have to walk across a channel of the main stream using a series of rocks partially submerged in the river. It is easy, though, as the water is shallow and the rocks not slippery. Then comes the "out" bridge, which looks to have been repaired considerably, since no one would call it "out" now. It is worth the trip just to see/cross this bridge, as it is a marvel of low-tech engineering, and the river is raging beneath. The way then climbs a bit into an area of huge trees, including one of the largest I have ever seen anywhere. Some more uphill travel, and we arrived at Trout lake, a scenic little lake set amidst high ridges, snowy ravines, and side-stream waterfalls. We hiked along the side of the lake until the trail crossed a cool boulder field where we stopped for a long break. The sun was beating down, but the breeze kept us cool enough. Next we backtracked to a place where we could access the lakeshore, and Daisy went swimming after some sticks. There were tiny purple butterflies everywhere. At 2 pm we headed back, getting to the trailhead at 3:10. There were two other cars there when we got there, five when we left. Not crowded at all. A great short day in the wilderness.
Yetiman and Daisy
Yetiman and Daisy
Slugman and big tree
Slugman and big tree

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
salish

salish
PostMon May 03, 2004 9:25 am 
Good photos Slugman. Did you guys try fishing Trout L.? I was there the June before last and the water was so high on that low-tech bridge it was starting to come over the top of the log. I had my young lab mix with me and he fell off the far side of the log, right under the rail. If I hadn't of had him on a leash I'm sure I would have lost him. I was able to pull him back up on the log without breaking his neck. The whitewater was really rough.

My short-term memory is not as sharp as it used to be. Also, my short-term memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostMon May 03, 2004 10:52 am 
Hey Sluggo, I see that you didnt MISS the small fir tree on that trail. Good trip for ya. Glad you had fun. TB

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Sore Feet

Sore Feet
PostMon May 03, 2004 12:24 pm 
Backpacker Joe wrote:
Hey Sluggo, I see that you didnt MISS the small fir tree on that trail.
Well, it does blend in with the forest surroundings well, but for someone of Sluggo's experience, it's understandable that he was able to find it. The average newbie hiker might have trouble discerning it from the thick forest of vine maple, mossy boulders and pine needles. hockeygrin.gif

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostMon May 03, 2004 12:34 pm 
I figure that with a thirty-foot ladder, I could climb that tree! lol.gif