Forum Index > Trail Talk > Spokane area hikes
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostMon Mar 22, 2010 11:58 pm 
Will be spending some time there soon, anyone know good day hikes in the area.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostTue Mar 23, 2010 12:27 am 
Yes please tell, I plan to retire to N Idaho and all I know of is the Selkirks, I want to hike the upper priest to the Canadian border hopefully this summer.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Dean
(aka CascadeHiker)

Dean
(aka CascadeHiker)
PostTue Mar 23, 2010 6:22 am 
Using summitpost pages might offer a possibility or two.

Dean - working in Utah for awhile and feeling like it is a 'paid' vacation. http://www.summitpost.org/user_page.php?user_id=1160
kleet
meat tornado

kleet
meat tornado
PostTue Mar 23, 2010 6:33 am 
Look up some of Spotly's TRs, he's listed quite a few good ones. I think trailjunky and RDEshadow should have a few as well.

A fuxk, why do I not give one?
Photonic
Wannbe Curmudgeon

Photonic
Wannbe Curmudgeon
PostTue Mar 23, 2010 8:57 am 
There are a number of hikes in the Spokane area unfortunately a lot of the ones outside of the state parks are poorly documented. Suggestions for dayhikes in/near town would be Iller Creek, Riverside State Park, Dishman Hills, Liberty Creek and one of my faves, Antoine Peak. Further afield would be Turnbull Wildlife Refuge, Fish Creek and Mt Spokane state park. These are just the ones I know about. I know there are lots more but unless you get told about them you won't know they're there. I have pretty good docs on Antione Peak (and Northrup Canyon but its a 2 hour drive from Spokane) at Spokane Hiking Edit: Also check out SpokaneOutdoors.com. It has lots of info, but has not been updated in quite a while.

harrymalamute

harrymalamute
PostTue Mar 23, 2010 9:11 am 
by soon I'm guessing you mean before things melt out up high, along with the previous borank.gif trail guru's mentioned pick up 100 hikes of the inland northwest. for some close to town 5ish mile ditties, Dishman hills,Iller creek-(rocks of Sharon,aka big rock-tower mountain). centennial trail between bowl & pitcher and 7mile. pine bluff & deep creek canyon loop. the whole riverside state park is fabo mtb. Minnehaha rocks on up river drive is worth a close town explore of local rock climbing. back tracking west an hour or so will score some desert hikes and after may-mid june a 2 hour drive will get you to the magic kingdoms of N Idaho and NE WA. I have sun/mon off and often looking for a reason to dodge the honey do list so give a shout when your ready maybe get some others from here as well.

hikes and climbs with malamute
Spotly

Spotly
PostTue Mar 23, 2010 9:38 am 
"100 Hikes in the Inland Northwest" has lots of good stuff in the area. There are many more short ones close to town that are great for exercise. My personal favorites (in this area) are in the Idaho Selkirks. Most of those are within 3 hours and are on rough roads. What are your criteria/preferences?

Soccer_Dad

Soccer_Dad
PostTue Mar 23, 2010 10:28 pm 
The "Spokane Area" has as much variety as you could hope for. The important questions are: When will you be here? How far are you willing to drive? What do you like in a hike? The answers to those questions will let us know whether to suggest hiking in Riverside State Park (essentially accessible by city bus), a beach walk at Lake Roosevelt, a ridge walk along the Bitterroot Crest, or boulder-hopping to Hunt Lake in the Selkirks (among four I've done in the last 12 months). John

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostTue Mar 23, 2010 10:43 pm 
We will be there for a Volleyball Tourney this weekend with our car. There is usually a lot of slack time. We like views and elevation gain is not a problem. Will need to be within an hour at most of downtown and less than 5 mi. Thanks for the tips so far smile.gif

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostWed Mar 24, 2010 7:59 am 
Actually I meant a 5 mi. hike within an hour drive.

harrymalamute

harrymalamute
PostWed Mar 24, 2010 8:13 am 
Iller creek to big rock, it's right at 5ish miles rt, good elevation gain with good views of the spokane valley and fun rock formations and very close to town.edit: on checking previous tr's others have taken taken trails to the right (west) partway up the drainage towards tower mtn. I would recommend staying in the drainage till the first main trail left (east)ridge line takes you to within 100 yrds east of big rock. the trail stays nicely in the trees. two points to note 1) intersection of spur trail from Iller creek to east ridge and 2) where east ridge tops out on top are easy to miss on return.

Photonic
Wannbe Curmudgeon

Photonic
Wannbe Curmudgeon
PostWed Mar 24, 2010 11:24 am 
Malachai Constant wrote:
We will be there for a Volleyball Tourney this weekend with our car. There is usually a lot of slack time. We like views and elevation gain is not a problem. Will need to be within an hour at most of downtown and less than 5 mi. Thanks for the tips so far smile.gif
Which tourney? I may be there with my daughter. smile.gif

harrymalamute

harrymalamute
PostWed Mar 24, 2010 11:29 am 
ok forget by previous blathering about big rock. my #1 pick for short and sweet would be pine bluff-deep creek loopwith a possible variation of going directly up deep creek proper from behind the picnic area.

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostFri Mar 26, 2010 3:41 pm 
A break from volleyball