Forum Index > Trail Talk > Scenic Hot Springs
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Sundance Kid
Hiking the Wasatch

Sundance Kid
Hiking the Wasatch
PostTue Jun 11, 2002 3:23 pm 
Okay everybody, here's a whole new can of worms. I promise I searched around pretty thoroughly on the site trying to find out if this topic had been covered yet, but I didn't see anything. There might have been something on it on the old archive, but since we got this new bulletin board I haven't seen hide nor tail of it. The issue at hand here is Scenic Hot Springs. Although covered in more detail at www.soak.net and www.nwhotsprings.net, I will give a brief synopsis of what happened. (And it seems to me that this will be old news to most of you since this happened in October.) Scenic Hot Springs (near Stevens Pass on Highway 2) has long been a favorite soaking spot of hot springs fanatics, hikers, and people just looking for a good time. Beautiful tubs were built and lined with plastic, decks and stairs were built; this was a posh place. It was on private land and the owner claimed to not have known about the popularity and development going on up there. The sheriff's department had long turned their heads, but in recent months (last year) vandalism of cars and drug usage became a problem. So the sheriff's deputies went to the owner, told of the illegal structures that had been built up there, and threatened to sue him if he didn't post No Trespassing signs and demolish the structures. So, that's what he did. Scenic is now off-limits, with no real talks (at least that are public) of gaining it back. For the P-I story of what happened, take a look at this link: http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/local/44434_spring27.shtml Anybody have any info to add to this? Any opinions, ideas, current happenings? For a more detailed explanation of exactly what happened up there, some background, and some propositions of how the situation can be remedied, take a look at the essay that I have attached to this post. I wrote it for an english class that I took at City University last fall. 📎Scenic Hot Springs Essay.doc (40 KB)

Just where is it I can find beaver, bear, and other critters that are worth cash money when skint?
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostTue Jun 11, 2002 4:03 pm 
The worst thing is the before and after pictures of what our glorious public servants did in our name. Years of work, design, and hard ass work hauling timbers up that hill to make a really sweet setup, turned into a hillside junkyard by John Q Law. Thanks to John Q, the county policy wonks whose job it is to OK new developments all over the county but get their panties in a bunch over an overgrown treehouse, and of course the out of control party people who make the whole scenic scene so obnoxiously visible after years of responsible, under the radar use.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message