Forum Index > Trip Reports > Mt Si 6/23/02
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
polarbear

polarbear
PostSun Jun 23, 2002 10:03 pm 
I got a late 4:30 start, but it was nice hiking in the cooler evening. Lots of people were coming down the trail. There were good views from the top up the Middle Fork valley, as the cloud cover was high, and over to Rattlesnake Lake. And of course below was 7th city of Cibola. On my way back down there were still a few people on their way up.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Kidneykenneth Toweltoast

Kidneykenneth Toweltoast
PostThu May 06, 2004 12:14 am 
up.gif KT

I want to know what love is. I want you to show me.
Sasquatch Kettlekorn

Sasquatch Kettlekorn
PostThu May 06, 2004 3:57 pm 
Hey Kenneth, is that you, or is that your girlfriend in the picture lol.gif

-lol-

-lol-
PostThu May 06, 2004 7:17 pm 

polarbear

polarbear
PostThu May 06, 2004 7:45 pm 
Wow, I can't believe my Mt. Si report has resurfaced and is getting all this press. I knew it was good when I wrote it rolleyes.gif but if I knew everyone would be looking at it 2 years later I would have separated it into two paragraphs and added more punctuation marks, made sure I was wearing clean underwear today, and now I'm wondering about that comment on the MFK, is it real, or had I eaten too much gorp that day? huh.gif

MooseAndSquirrel

MooseAndSquirrel
PostThu May 06, 2004 8:00 pm 
Where is this Mt. Si? Are there any rattlesnakes at that lake? I can't tell if KT is a he, she or it. I'm leaning toward it.

polarbear

polarbear
PostThu May 06, 2004 8:12 pm 
Directions for an ET Universe Milky Way Earth N. America U.S. Washington King County North Bend Mt. Si Why is North Bend called North Bend? There are no rattlesnakes in or around Rattlesnake Lake but if we keep building huge fountains and wasting water, well, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that this could become prime rattlesnake habitat in maybe two or three years and we'd all be sucking on pebbles while we combed for artifacts on the dusty bottom of Lake Washington.
Quote:
I'm leaning toward it.
Straighten up and fly right. Use your trekking poles if you have to.

MooseAndSquirrel

MooseAndSquirrel
PostThu May 06, 2004 8:51 pm 
I'd say you've been double-dipping in the shroom patch PB, your posts are getting weirder and weirder. Whooa ...I'm getting flashbacks looking at the word weirder- what's up with that word anyway? I know a weir is a gate-like thingeroo, but I'm really having a tough time...I'm really strugglin' man.... with that 'der' part of it. You should probably leave me be and go on with what you'all are doin' 'cause I think I'll be pondering this for quite a while I think. dizzy.gif

polarbear

polarbear
PostFri May 07, 2004 12:17 am 
M&S, what you say is true, but the mushrooms are not from this earth, but rather I have to travel to this place... dizzy.gif

kleet
meat tornado

kleet
meat tornado
PostFri May 07, 2004 6:24 am 
Don't feed the trolls.

A fuxk, why do I not give one?
mgd

mgd
PostFri May 07, 2004 6:55 am 
Karen

Karen
PostFri May 07, 2004 7:50 am 
....the ghoul-haunted woodland of Weir .... M&S, thought you'd enjoy the Poe quote (hope I got it right). Karen PS I think the line is from Annabelle Lee ... but maybe that is "weird" comes from.

stay together, learn the flowers, go light - from Turtle Island, Gary Snyder
MooseAndSquirrel

MooseAndSquirrel
PostFri May 07, 2004 3:33 pm 
Karen wrote:
....the ghoul-haunted woodland of Weir .... M&S, thought you'd enjoy the Poe quote (hope I got it right). Karen PS I think the line is from Annabelle Lee ... but maybe that is "weird" comes from.
Hmmmmmm, coooould be. Thanks for coming up with that, Karen. Poe would be a logical source of "weird". I have a feeling it predates him but who knows. I haven't read Poe for a long while but he could sure tell a creepy story - none better. Even a love poem to (assumedly) his dead wife can't escape his fascination with the morbid it seems.

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostFri May 07, 2004 4:07 pm 
Karen wrote:
Close but no brass ring... Ulalume The skies they were ashen and sober; The leaves they were crisped and sere-- The leaves they were withering and sere; It was night in the lonesome October Of my most immemorial year; It was hard by the dim lake of Auber, In the misty mid region of Weir-- It was down by the dank tarn of Auber, In the ghoul-haunted woodland of Weir. Here once, throught the alley Titanic, Of cypress, I roamed with my Soul-- Of cypress, with Psyche, my Soul. There were days when my heart was volcanic As the scoriac rivers that roll-- As the lavas that restlessly roll Their sulphurous currents down Yaanek In the ultimate climes of the pole-- That groan as they roll down Mount Yaanek In the realms of the boreal pole. Our talk has been serious and sober, But our thoughts they were palsied and sere-- Our memories were treacherous and sere,-- For we knew not the month was October, And we marked not the night of the year (Ah, night of all nights in the year!)-- We noted not the dim lake of Auber (Though once we had journey down here)-- Remembered not the dank tarn of Auber, Nor the ghoul-haunted woodland of Weir. And now, as the night was senescent And star-dials pointed to morn-- As the star-dials hinted of morn-- At the end of our path a liquescent And nebulous lustre was born, Out of which a miraculous crescent Arose with a duplicate horn-- Astarte's bediamonded crescent Distinct with its duplicate horn. And I said:"She is warmer than Dian: She rolls through an ether of sighs-- She revels in a region of sighs: She has seen that the tears are not dry on These cheeks, where the worm never dies, And has come past the stars of the Lion To point us the path to the skies-- To the Lethean peace in the skies-- Come up, in despite of the Lion, With love in her luminous eyes." But Psyche, uplifting her finger, Said:"Sadly this star I mistrust-- Her pallor I strangely mistrust:-- Oh, hasten!--oh, let us not linger! Oh, fly!--let us fly!--for we must." In terror she spoke, letting sink her Wings until they trailed in the dust-- In agony sobbed, letting sink her Plumes till they trailed in the dust-- Till they sorrowfully trailed in the dust. I replied:"This is nothing but dreaming: Let us on by this tremulous light! Let us bathe in this crystalline light! Its Sybilic splendor is beaming With Hope and in Beauty to-night!-- See!--it flickers up the sky throught the night! Ah, we safely may trust to a gleaming, That cannot but guide us aright, Since it flickers up to Heaven through the night." Thus I pacified Psyche and kissed her, And tempted her out of her gloom-- And conquered her scruples and gloom; And we passed to the end of the vista, But were stopped by the door of a tomb-- By the door of a legended tomb; And I said:"What is written, sweet sister, On the door of this legended tomb?" She replied:"Ulalume--Ulalume-- 'Tis the vault of thy lost Ulalume!" Then my heart it grew ashen and sober As the leaves that were crisped and sere-- As the leaves that were withering and sere, And I cried:"It was surely October On this very night last year, That I jouneyed-- I journeyed down here-- That I brought a dread burden down here-- On this night of all nights in the year, Ah, what demon has tempted me here? Well I know, now, this dim lake of Auber-- This misty mid region of Weir-- Well I know, now, this dank tarn of Auber, This ghoul-haunted woodland of Weir."

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Thousands

Thousands
PostFri May 07, 2004 9:31 pm 
polarbear wrote:
I got a late 4:30 start, but it was nice hiking in the cooler evening. Lots of people were coming down the trail. There were good views from the top up the Middle Fork valley, as the cloud cover was high, and over to Rattlesnake Lake. And of course below was 7th city of Cibola. On my way back down there were still a few people on their way up.
This trip report rocks!! cool.gif