Forum Index > Trip Reports > Horse Heaven Hills (Benton City)
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Flora
Enjoying the Sun!

Flora
Enjoying the Sun!
PostSun Apr 18, 2010 6:17 pm 
Grassy Slopes of Horse Heaven Hills above Benton City, WA
Grassy Slopes of Horse Heaven Hills above Benton City, WA
Puccoon - Horse Heaven Hills
Puccoon - Horse Heaven Hills
Another sagebrush bunchgrass steppe wildflower hike. Today's was a stroll along the top of Horse Heaven Hills, a ridgeline that rises above the Tri-cities and extends westward towards Hwy 97. The area is all BLM land so no permits are required. Access is through the tiny settlement of Kiona, along Webber Canyon Road, then turning right uphill on McBee Road. There is a place to park almost immediately, on the left, where you can ascend the steep grassy slopes to the top of the ridge. Or you can follow McBee Road as it traverses up the ridge and comes to a saddle. We hiked a bit up the steep trail and then chose to drive a bit further. There are some parking areas on the ridgeline. You can walk either way. We headed towards Chandler Butte, a high spot on the ridge marked with communication towers. To the west we could see Mt. Rainier and Mt. Adams. To the north was the Yakima River Valley, Benton City and Rattlesnake Mountain. To the NE, Hanford and the White Bluffs. To the east, Weber Canyon with its vast orchards and Badger Mountain blocking views of Kennewick and Pasco. To the south was a large plateau of farm land sloping towards the Columbia River.
Cushion Daisy and Wooly-pod Locoweed
Cushion Daisy and Wooly-pod Locoweed
Haplopappas stenophyllus.  Woody cushion plant that grows in very dry, rocky sites on open ridges.
Haplopappas stenophyllus. Woody cushion plant that grows in very dry, rocky sites on open ridges.
Lupine & Phlox - Horse Heaven Hills
Lupine & Phlox - Horse Heaven Hills
The walking was easy, along an old rocky road and then a gravel utility road. Everywhere we were serenaded by meadow lark and diverted by the antics of a pair of ravens. Even though Hwy 82 was below us, for quite a ways we could only hear the birds and the swish of wind through the grass. It was a pleasant place to spend a warmish morning, although the wind and sun made it a challenge to photograph flowers. Such a deal!
Larkspur - Horse Heaven Hills
Larkspur - Horse Heaven Hills
This ridge rises to the south of I-82 and Benton City, WA.
This ridge rises to the south of I-82 and Benton City, WA.
Carey Balsamroot and Basalt
Carey Balsamroot and Basalt
Astragalus arrectus.  Another first for me!
Astragalus arrectus. Another first for me!
Phlox hoodii
Phlox hoodii
South side of Horse Heaven Hills
South side of Horse Heaven Hills

Flora
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Scrooge
Famous Grouse

Scrooge
Famous Grouse
PostSun Apr 18, 2010 6:59 pm 
Love it. smile.gif

Something lost behind the ranges. Lost and waiting for you....... Go and find it. Go!
Dean
(aka CascadeHiker)

Dean
(aka CascadeHiker)
PostSun Apr 18, 2010 7:07 pm 
Flora, the McBee road hill was one was one of my favorite conditioners. 1100 feet in about a mile is one of the better workout hills around and the wildflowers in spring are neat when the balsam root, phlox and lupine are blooming at the same time. I did run across rattlesnakes on three different occasions but one just needs to stay alert. I've also done it in the snow and was surprised one time to find a cornice up near the top. That was fun. Some great views up on top. Thanks for all the pics and for letting others know that there are some nice places near the Tri Cities. up.gif Here's another hike to consider near Benton City.

Dean - working in Utah for awhile and feeling like it is a 'paid' vacation. http://www.summitpost.org/user_page.php?user_id=1160
Flora
Enjoying the Sun!

Flora
Enjoying the Sun!
PostSun Apr 18, 2010 8:24 pm 
Hiya, Dean! Yes, I do know where the Rattlesnake Slope access is. We went by there on the way (outta the way) from Yakima (via Moxee/Black Rock). And, yes, the McBee Grade climb is a good conditioner. Just goes to prove I need to get into condition! Went halfway up. Still, we hiked over to Chandler Butte and went up and down three hills on the way. I love the wide open skies of Eastern Washington and the songs of the meadowlark. No snakes today...or ticks! I was hoping to see some badgers though. Too many people...let's see, 8 all day and 8 dogs. A couple of those folks were just sitting in their trucks admiring the views and one guy was down from Yakima doing some wildflower photography. The hills around the Tri-Cities have some endemic plant species. There were two species of balsamroot and two of locoweed. Love it!

Flora