Forum Index > Pacific NW History > Robert Kinzebach
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Dean
(aka CascadeHiker)

Dean
(aka CascadeHiker)
PostThu Sep 05, 2002 8:19 am 
I bought Robert Kinzebach's Pic-tour guide maps to the Alpine Lakes Wilderness about 17 years ago and was re-reading some of the information in it last night. Did any one here know Robert? The guy was amazing in what he accomplished and I'm hoping to find a couple of his articles that were published about his trips into the Enchantments in: Signpost magazine June 1979 (anyone have this one any more?) and Wenatchee World 5/21/75 and 4/5/84 issues. If you have any info on Robert or can steer me towards info, I would appreciate it. Anyone else here lucky enough to have his pic tour guides? I will contact Wenatchee world of course but the Signpost article may be sitting in your own bookcase. Alas, I don't have that issue. Thanks all. I just came out of 5 glorious days in the Enchantments and I thought about Robert Kinzebach's efforts in exploring this area back in the 50's. Dean

Dean - working in Utah for awhile and feeling like it is a 'paid' vacation. http://www.summitpost.org/user_page.php?user_id=1160
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message

PostThu Sep 05, 2002 9:29 am 
I have quite a few of his maps and map booklets. The Alpine Lakes collection of maps is pretty cool. It was the thing before Terraserver. I think I read that he was one of the guys responsible to the Puget Sound Convergence Zone theory. But I could be wrong...

Oldtimer

Oldtimer
PostThu Sep 05, 2002 10:29 am 
Bob Kinzebach
Yes, I have most of his maps (some of them well worn). Talked to him several times; visited him once at his home (29118 23rd Ave S, Federal Way) to pick up some maps. His home was his office. Books, maps, etc. weren't cumulated on desk, tables, chairs, etc. as much as Prufer's cabin (Sfk Cougar Cr, known by old-time Trail Blazers as Lennox Creek), but one moved around through aisles, same as in P's cabin. He was a friendly person. Enjoyed what he was doing. - Oldtimer

Dean
(aka CascadeHiker)

Dean
(aka CascadeHiker)
PostFri Sep 13, 2002 3:04 pm 
More info on Robert that is worth a read
I found the following at: http://www.angelfire.com/wa/redwoodsigns/stsno3.html The article reads: Robert M. Kinzebach, meteorologist, founder and publisher of PIG-TOUR GUIDE MAPS, and hiker, died October 21, 1996. He was 81. Bob was known in Pack & Paddle, Signpost and other publications for his innumerable reports, comments, pleadings feature articles and scientific papers. He was born in Waterville, near Wenatchee, in 1915. As a boy, he got hooked on Washington lakes and peaks, flyfishing with his father. He served a stint in the Army during WWII as a weather officer, attaining the rank of Major. Afterward, Bob never stopped writing, mapping or taking pictures. Bob was a robust hiker. He made 13 trips into the Enchantments, the first in 1950--and most since--in and out in a day. He was fast and liked shortcuts. At 70 he could still leave most youngsters in the dust. He was one of the first to pioneer and popularize the common route up the cliff to Earle Lake, which is still in use today. The Wenatchee World published his "Backdoor Route to the Enchantments" by way of Wedge Mountain in July, 1985. Bob retired from regular work in Civil Service in 1972 and the Military Reserve in 1975. He had been Chief Weather Officer at McChord AFB since about 1952 and attained the rank of full Colonel in the Air Force Reserve. Of special note is his paper (AMS, Kinzebach, 3/'55) on summer coastal weather patterus specific to the pressure gradient in millibars of mercury between North Bend Oregon and Sea-Tac, and the Puget Sound Convergence Zone. His theory set the standard for weather forecasting in the Pacific Northwest The North Bend millibar readings can still be heard on weather radio channels today. As a busy meteorologist most of his adult life and in retirement, he never failed to monitor NOAA Weather Radio KHB 60, Seattle, broadcasting on 162.55 MHz, to pick nice days in the mountains. (In 1976, Sen. Henry M. Jackson got these pressure reports back on the air because Bob and most likely others wrote letters.) His forecasting sense should be legend. One group leader, after chatting with him the morning before a day trip into the Olympics completed the 20-mile High Divide Loop from Sol Duc Hot Springs ... but it was nip and tuck! Bob had said "You should be able to stay ahead of the front." Another party* not too far behind, got socked in at Heart Lake and wisely turned back on a compass heading to walk 24 miles this day. I don't think Bob liked to get wet and cold and he enjoyed seeing safe bets play out successfully. It never rained on any hike I did in his company. George Bucher, a strong and experienced Hi-Laker, said the other day that Bob did Alaska weather better than the locals there. You might want to read why, in White Winds (page 231), by Joel Wilcox. This book details an illfated assault on Mount McKinley. Bob was first to publish a fine set of 7 1/2 minute topo maps of the AlpineLakes Wilderness. They are still in print. Bob scouted regularly, sometimes as much as 3000 miles a month on 100 or more trips ayear. He wore out three VW Beatles and a Subaru, going many times where one would expect to see only 4x4s or 3-wheelers. I am not aware that he ever walked out because of car failure. He seldom took much more than himself on hundreds and hundreds of day trips. Bob's version of the "10 Essentials" was an overcoat with lots of pockets, about ten cans of Pepsi and a Thommen altimeter. He walked and climbed as much as 27 miles a day. A 1941 WSC (now WSU) graduate, with an MS in forestry, Bob joined the Army, completing meteorological training at UCLA, in 1942, with subsequent and commended service in Italy, where he married. He is survived by his widow (separated), the former Olga Maria Pica, and four children: Jim, Kay, Marcia, Wayne and their children. An older brother Bruce lives in Wenatchee. A resident of Federal Way much of his adult life, he produced, in addition to numerous maps, about 20,000 3-D lake and peak photos. Bob also com-piled ten books of notes describing mileage, landmarks, intersections and other details of roads and trails in the Washington Cascades.

Dean - working in Utah for awhile and feeling like it is a 'paid' vacation. http://www.summitpost.org/user_page.php?user_id=1160
Staggler

Staggler
PostMon Sep 16, 2002 11:15 am 
Does anyone know if it's possible to get any of the Pic-Tour maps still? I am looking for the one that covers the area around Chrystal mountain, etc. I once had it, but it has since disapeared.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote View IP address of poster
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostTue Sep 24, 2002 3:33 pm 
A couple weekends ago I stopped at the sporting goods store along the Tieton river on the way to Rimrock and they had a Pic-Tour I'd never seen, covering the Naches region and the packwood area on the back. He had a few more, 5 bucks I think. They only carry that one version, but a new pic- tour is always a welcome addition.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Raven

Raven
PostSat May 08, 2004 9:01 pm 
Greetings and Happy Trails ~ I first met Bob Kinzebach at the Midway Swapmeet about 1977. he was selling his "junk" as he called it, as I was selling carved wood signs, redwood house numbers, address signs, etc. We were weekend neighbors in the row in front of the snack bar and office. Often, during the following years, Bob would call me up, spur of the moment, for day trips---usually with no more than an hour's notice. My last trip with Bob was Summer 1995. I believe it was his last trip in the mountains, also. That day he checked up on each of his Cascades South map outlets. In his memory and for the board here, I just notified the person who has/had his former map business. I left a message: "people were asking for information on Bob's maps". Hopefully, a back call will be coming shortly. The Washington State Historical Society / Museum was given possession of Bob's master map templates and his unique collection of 3-D photographs. The 10 books of notes, referred to in his memorium, "disappeared" about the time of his death.
Quote:
I found the following at: http://www.angelfire.com/wa/redwoodsigns/stsno3.html The article reads: --CascadeHiker
For the record and following is the heading and credits for the "article" referred to:
Quote:
Pacific Crest Trail Map - U.S. 2 to I 90 P. 36 ...........PACK & PADDLE MAGAZINE (Washington)...........SEPTEMBER 1997 --ERL SYVERSTAD Hooked on Hiking * IN MEMORIAM * ROBERT M. KINZEBACH Note: As you wish, while you are waiting for this Big Map to assemble, please scroll to bottom to read "Hooked On Hiking" ("Article" body as presented above) Follows is the part not included: In typical tongue-in-cheek fashion, Bob suggested once that, "retirement is not the beginning of the end; rather it is the end of the beginning." As a keen routefinder, practical scientist and soldier, he helped us all. --Erl Syverstad, of Spanaway, was one of Bob's regular hiking partners. -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Note (yeh, the "*") The local Rangers hadn't been up yet---so they just followed the guy hiking in shower shoes! --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If I can help, feel free to call or write. My contact info can be found at SemperSigns.com - at the bottom of the page. Find a free map of the PCT trail, Stevens Pass to Snoqualmie Pass here ==> PCT Trail Map --Erl

Carved Wood Signs ==> www.SemperSigns.com Redwood Carved Signs ==> www.SemperSigns.com/post.html
pocahontess

pocahontess
PostSat Apr 01, 2006 4:37 pm 
Hi Dean, I know this response is a few years after your post. I don't know if you have found any more information on Robert Kinzebach? But, I am Robert's grand-daughter. We have a lot of his photos, maps, letters, etc. If you still are interested in more information let me know. I see you live east of the mountains. I currently live in Seattle. Sincerely, Tessa Campbell

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks
PostFri Jan 12, 2018 1:58 am 
Many of the Kinzebach maps are now available online in the Mountaineer's Custom Maps archive.

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostMon Jan 15, 2018 12:58 pm 
Thanks! awesome

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers