Forum Index > Trip Reports > silver peak
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Edd

Edd
PostSat May 08, 2004 8:18 pm 
Thursday was supposed to be the best day this week. I was looking for a somewhat short scramble, conditioning, picture taking hike that I could do after work. On paper Silver looked good, and it was. Off work by 1:30, at the Annette Lake trailhead by 3:00. As usual, this time of year, and in the middle of the week there was only one other vehicle at the trailhead. The trail to the lake was in relativly good shape, a couple of blowdowns, not much snow until just before the lake, some small patches, a little heavier in the avalanche chutes. I kept seeing wet bootprints on the rocks, but never did see the other hiker. Just before reaching the lake I headed east through the trees. After a few hundred feet I came to an open slope. I headed up the slope avoiding the snow, choosing to stay on the choss/talus. Eventually gaining the ridge I could see the summit, and headed in that direction (south). I stayed on the ridge as much as possible, but when I could'nt I followed a boot path on the west side of the ridge. Spent about 20 minutes on the summit soaking in the view, ate a bagel, drank some water, took some pics and headed down. Decided the snow was quicker and easier on the knees on the descent. Back to the truck by 8:00, home by 9:00. A relativly uneventfull but nice afternoon. Great views to the east (some haze), could'nt really see Rainier through the haze. Here are a few pics, had to reign myself in, new camera. I realize they take up space, I will figure out how to reduce.
annette
annette
nw 2
nw 2
nw lake
nw lake
nw peak
nw peak
nw view
nw view

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Trevor

Trevor
PostSat May 08, 2004 8:42 pm 
Thanks for the pictures and report. This time of year ,that's one of the few upper-elevation lakes that are completely lacking snow.

Spotly

Spotly
PostSat May 08, 2004 9:57 pm 
Great pictures. Thanks.

Sasquatch Kettlekorn

Sasquatch Kettlekorn
PostSat May 08, 2004 11:29 pm 
Great TR, so you encountered no snow all the way to the top of the peak?

Andrew

Andrew
PostSun May 09, 2004 12:18 am 
Looks like a prime spot to see the area around the pass. Thanks for reporting and I appreciate the pictures!

Edd

Edd
PostSun May 09, 2004 8:13 am 
There was definitly snow but most of it could be avoided if you really wanted. I had a negetive experience on south brother a few weeks ago on steep exposed snow, so I avoided it here. I did'nt really need to though because it was pretty condensed and stable, and I used it as much as I could on the way down.

Kirt

Kirt
PostSun May 09, 2004 1:10 pm 
Cool report. I run up to Annette once in a while for a quick hike. It's cool to see the lake this time of year and from that perspective. Thanks for the photos. K