Forum Index > Partners > Camp Muir
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Shnbrnt

Shnbrnt
PostTue Apr 27, 2010 1:21 pm 
I was going up to Camp Muir with my cousin for the first time last year, it would have been my first real hike and we got to the snow field and my cousin ran out of gas, and so I forfeited the hike. I have been waiting ever since, what is the deal on going it alone on that hike if you are prepared gps and all that stuff? And how early in the year do most people start going? Thanks

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
SeanSullivan86

SeanSullivan86
PostTue Apr 27, 2010 1:47 pm 
If you go on a weekend you won't really be alone. Anyways, the commonly cited issues with that route are people not having adequate clothing and navigation skills for when the weather/visibility get bad. I suggest you get a a compass (and learn to use it) in addition to your GPS (in case of GPS failure) and bring this with you: http://www.nps.gov/mora/planyourvisit/upload/getyourbearings.pdf Keep an eye on the weather. If the weather starts to turn, start descending immediately and latch onto another group if you're alone before the visibility decreases and you actually are out there alone. You can go anytime, just bring warm clothing, with windproof/waterproof outer layer... as it can be very windy. (be prepared for 20 degree weather, 50mph wind, and any form of precipitation)

mountaineer ordinaire

mountaineer ordinaire
PostWed Apr 28, 2010 4:00 pm 
If you own and know how to use a GPS, I recommend bringing it as a supplement to a map and compass. While electronic devices are malfunction-prone, in whiteout conditions and strong winds on mostly featureless terrain, an accurate GPS device can be a life-saver. Here is a Backpacker Magazine article which highlights the need for competent navigation skills on the route to Muir: http://www.backpacker.com/october_08_americas_10_most_dangerous_hikes_muir_snowfield_mt_rainier_wa/destinations/12623 Enjoy your outing and post a TR and pics if you get the chance to do so.