Forum Index > Pacific NW History > Steilacoom cemetery
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
MooseAndSquirrel

MooseAndSquirrel
PostTue May 11, 2004 10:51 am 
Yesterday the P.I. had a good article on the restoration of the old patient cemetery on the grounds of the Western WA State Hospital in Steilacoom. Karen Sykes, myself and some others stumbled upon this place last year and remarked how sad, somewhat neglected, and most importantly, strange the place was- that the people buried here hadn't been given dignified markers with their names on them instead of numbers. Thankfully, a group has been working on rectifying this.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Galadriel

Galadriel
PostWed May 12, 2004 2:58 pm 
M&S, I read that article too and thought of the day we were there among the anonymous numbered grave markers. I'm glad to hear a group is changing that.

MooseAndSquirrel

MooseAndSquirrel
PostWed May 12, 2004 3:26 pm 
Hi Galadriel, long time no see! Yes, that was a fun day with you and Mr. Galadriel biggrin.gif - despite the sadness of that little cemetery visit an interesting day. Now that I reread my post I'm sorry I referred to you folks as 'some others'. doh.gif I was very happy to read that story, that there are always people stepping up to do good deeds in this rough world. Take care, M&S

justybug
henteaser

justybug
henteaser
PostSat Jul 02, 2005 12:34 pm 
there's 2 cemetaries involved with Western State Hospital. There's an older, i think pioneer cemetary within the current hospital grounds, just north of the current chapel building. Then across the street in Ft. Steilacoom Park, (which used to be part of the hospital property, and housed their farm buildings, orchards, and fields for vegetables, etc..) there's an old patient cemetary. this is the one mentioned in the article. there are some definitive steps towards improved stewardship though, nice to see that for a change.

kenya believe it?? "Time is so everything doesn't happen at once. Space is so everything doesn't happen to you."