Forum Index > Photography Talk > Excellelt Canon RAW processor (FREE)
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Newt
Short Timer

Newt
Short Timer
PostWed May 12, 2004 6:33 pm 
Same thing I do except have ZoomBrowser do it instead. Go to the image folder in ZoomBrowser and pick a photo, then pick view and modify, then process RAW..... You then have some conversion options. It's what I got with the G3. Newt

It's pretty safe to say that if we take all of man kinds accumulated knowledge, we still don't know everything. So, I hope you understand why I don't believe you know everything. But then again, maybe you do.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostWed May 12, 2004 6:47 pm 
Can you do more than one at a time? That's what I mean by batch process.

Newt
Short Timer

Newt
Short Timer
PostWed May 12, 2004 7:39 pm 
Yup. I haven't found a limit yet. Newt

It's pretty safe to say that if we take all of man kinds accumulated knowledge, we still don't know everything. So, I hope you understand why I don't believe you know everything. But then again, maybe you do.
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostWed May 12, 2004 7:55 pm 
Well, now you can appreciate why BB was worth every penny in the old days when this feature wasn't available in the Canon software.

Sore Feet

Sore Feet
PostThu May 13, 2004 12:27 am 
Newt must have a newer version, my copy of ZB won't batch, and even the individual image processing was incredibly s-l-o-w. Curious Tom, if you just convert straight to JPG, how often do you shoot in JPG? Seems to me that if you don't want to mess too much in Pshop, then shooting RAW isn't the best way to go (aside from adjusting the WB and such). You print many of your pictures? If someone likes to shoot RAW, but complains about having to spend 30 minutes in Pshop per picture, its like eating at McDonalds every day of the week, and then complaining about being overweight. Ya know? dizzy.gif

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostThu May 13, 2004 1:17 am 
Well, since you use POShovel, I can understand your confusion. tongue.gif The advantage of shooting in RAW is you have a digital negative in case you want to override white balance, sharpening, contrast, saturation, etc. after the fact. It also greatly expands your other options, like being able to generate a 16 bit TIFF, or use the linear conversion algorithms found in third party software like POShovel or BB to rescue highlights. It also minimizes the risk of inadvertently overwriting your original since the RAW file can't be edited directly. It's like health insurance - hopefully you don't need to collect on it, but it's good to have when you do. A RAW converter should be able to produce the same JPG the camera would have produced without photoshop tweaks. POShovel is great for rescuing highlights, but I don't understand why you'd use it as your default RAW converter given the mandatory photoshop tweaks it seems to require.

Newt
Short Timer

Newt
Short Timer
PostThu May 13, 2004 4:27 am 
Me has v4.0.0.105. I believe there is a Updater to 4.6 available. And yes it's slow. But my 486 has always been that way. I just don't sit and watch it . Newt

Sore Feet

Sore Feet
PostThu May 13, 2004 12:07 pm 
Tom wrote:
POShovel is great for rescuing highlights, but I don't understand why you'd use it as your default RAW converter given the mandatory photoshop tweaks it seems to require.
Like I said, shooting in RAW without expecting to tweek the image is like expecting to not get fat by eating junk food 24/7. As you said, it's a negative, and it may not appear exactly as your eye percieved it. I shoot RAW too, but if I'm gonna be out for a week or more, away from someplace I can dump my CF cards, then I might selectively shoot JPG on some scenes that aren't gonna win any prizes to maximize my storage potential (since I only have 800mb of CF - but I've never used more than ~ 400mb on one trip). What I do is batch process everything to JPG, then I review which pictures I want to keep, and delete the RAWS of the ones I want to get rid of, then I re-Batch them as Tifs (unless you have PS CS, there's no point in doing 16 bit Tifs), and then I do the major tweeking on the reduced number of pictures. I've gotten it down to a pretty quick process thanks to a couple sharpening actions I found, so each picture typically doesn't take me more than 10 minutes from start to finish.

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostThu May 13, 2004 1:43 pm 
Sore Feet wrote:
Tom wrote:
POShovel is great for rescuing highlights, but I don't understand why you'd use it as your default RAW converter given the mandatory photoshop tweaks it seems to require.
Like I said, shooting in RAW without expecting to tweek the image is like expecting to not get fat by eating junk food 24/7. As you said, it's a negative, and it may not appear exactly as your eye percieved it.
Sounds more like cocaine than junk food. My point is you shouldn't be required to do anything in photoshop to get the RAW output to match the default output from the camera. The latter is correct more often than not, and usually the optimal starting point for any tweaks that are necessary.

Sore Feet

Sore Feet
PostThu May 13, 2004 6:39 pm 
Tom wrote:
My point is you shouldn't be required to do anything in photoshop to get the RAW output to match the default output from the camera. The latter is correct more often than not, and usually the optimal starting point for any tweaks that are necessary.
I think whether a RAW negative is camera-output accurate or not depends on the scene you're shooting more than anything else. Just for giggles, I'll run an image through both FileBrowser and Pshovel later and post the results.

Newt
Short Timer

Newt
Short Timer
PostThu May 13, 2004 7:33 pm 
That would be one fine camera that could put out and accurate image, whether film, raw, tiff or jpg. And then all eyes would see it different.