Forum Index > Trip Reports > A Schmidt Goes Missing On Baldy!!!! Oh My! 05-22-10
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Sadie's Driver
Sadie's Driver

Sadie's Driver
Sadie's Driver
PostSat May 22, 2010 6:06 pm 
eek.gif It's Jeremy agree.gif ! Yup, the last time we saw him, he was on his way coming back from Domerie to Baldy - he had his down huh.gif shakehead.gif and missed the fact that the REST of the group went AROUND Baldy to the south rolleyes.gif clown.gif . If you find him, please return him to Tish. However, you might want to wait a couple of days, because if you do it today or tomorrow, there might be a murder investigation! rant.gif paranoid.gif lol.gif Won't spend much time on this report, because Bryan just did a very detailed report of his adventure Bryan's Trifecta - Thomas/Baldy/Domerie However, although the gain is about 3700' in maybe 9 miles - SOME of us (Tish, Steve, Barry and the Driver) got about 6000' gain and 15 miles (well, it felt like it!) searching for Jeremy. I maintain he was distracted by this and got lost.
Jeremy is probably still searching for the pot of gold!
Jeremy is probably still searching for the pot of gold!
Unless he comes back with a boatload of gold, however, no excuse will assuage the Missus! mad.gif What started out as a "quick trip" because Jeremy had to work this afternoon, turned into a man hunt! We were making incredible time hustling up towards Domerie Ridge. There was almost NO snow to the 4900' ridge - certainly didn't need the snowshoes we hauled all the way! doh.gif Ran across some lovely flowers - didn't stop long for picture taking, however.
You name them!
You name them!
There was a fresh coating of snow-ice, once we were above 4200'
Frosted tree on the way to Domerie Ridge
Frosted tree on the way to Domerie Ridge
We stopped for a group shot at Domerie Ridge.
Paratroopers on Para Point
Paratroopers on Para Point
Then headed east towards Baldy. The clouds were low, but we were on Baldy before long.
Lake Cle Elum below Baldy
Lake Cle Elum below Baldy
Driver and Gus singing
Driver and Gus singing
Yukon Duo on Baldy
Yukon Duo on Baldy
There were "limited" views and we couldn't see our next destination (Domerie) - but Barry and Steve carefully guided us along the ridge where some limited views appeared.
Crew heading off of Baldy to Domerie - somewhere out there!
Crew heading off of Baldy to Domerie - somewhere out there!
Domerie ahead - with another little bump farther on
Domerie ahead - with another little bump farther on
Domerie is a 200' drop and then some up to reach the summit - pleasant little place - and the sun even came out!
Lake Cle Elum under the cloud
Lake Cle Elum under the cloud
Domerie Crew
Domerie Crew
From here, the story goes downhill, in a manner of speaking. The four adults and three dogs all headed around the south shoulder of Baldy - figuring "why climb an unnecessary additional 150'? Well, someone - sub-adult - hmmm.gif wasn't paying attention and apparently went up and over Baldy, while the adults waited for him at the shoulder area. Well, resembling something like the Keystone Kops and a Rescue Mission, the adults searched and searched for the missing Altidude! Visions of him stumbling and hitting his head and falling over the edge ran through our head. The adults assembled at Para Point to determine what to do - since the dude was not there. The women said, "Surely if he had gotten ahead of us, he would have stopped and waited." While the men said, "The dude probably thought we were way ahead of him and he went "bookin' " it back to the cars. You be the judge confused.gif This is obviously a male - female communication thing. Oh, and the women also said, "Certainly he would have his phone on." While the men speculated that, "Why would you waste the battery?" This little tale, my friends, is why more men than women are lost . . . . winksmile.gif and the debate begins!!! Meanwhile, "Where's Jeremy???" embarassedlaugh.gif

Four-paw buddy lets me tag along!
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
TrailPair

TrailPair
PostSat May 22, 2010 6:21 pm 
There are advantages of a group staying together. smile.gif It looks like it was a little chilly!

This thing called work is interfering with my play
Magellan
Brutally Handsome

Magellan
Brutally Handsome
PostSat May 22, 2010 7:51 pm 
I picked up a couple of FRS radios this winter just for this type of thing. I have yet to use them since I have been solo, or just plain forgot them. shakehead.gif At least your adventure had some spice. up.gif

Schmidt Alti-Babe
The Ice Queen

Schmidt Alti-Babe
The Ice Queen
PostSat May 22, 2010 8:03 pm 
I am happy to report that the Dude is now currently earning his gold in the form of wages at his job as we speak. While my nerves may be a little more frayed around the edges after the "drama" of crossing paths, I am now going to be a firm believer in carrying and using some radios. Despite the fact that we did stay together as a group, stopping and waiting for members to "regroup" - it really only takes one misdirection to get paths crossed. An eye opener for me for sure. eek.gif I'm almost embarrassed to admit I thought it was impossible for him to have outpaced the group so much on the way down. embarassedlaugh.gif Sorry to have doubted you AltiDude. hockeygrin.gif wink.gif

Highwalker's Daughter

Highwalker's Daughter
PostSat May 22, 2010 8:12 pm 
Looks like a lot less snow than on our trip up there a couple of weeks ago - looks cold, though.

TrailPair

TrailPair
PostSat May 22, 2010 8:57 pm 
A few years ago I was backpacking with a friend and we lost her husband for the whole night. Needless to say he was really angry with both of us. But we were hiking to Marmot Lake on a heavily used to trail. We never thought anyone could take a wrong turn, but he did. Radios are a good idea. up.gif

This thing called work is interfering with my play
ejain

ejain
PostSat May 22, 2010 11:25 pm 
Re: A Schmidt Goes Missing On Baldy!!!!  Oh My!  05-22-10
Sadie's Driver wrote:
eek.gif agree.gif huh.gif shakehead.gif rolleyes.gif clown.gif rant.gif paranoid.gif lol.gif mad.gif doh.gif hmmm.gif confused.gif winksmile.gif embarassedlaugh.gif
bricks.gif

wamtngal

wamtngal
PostSun May 23, 2010 7:41 am 
Schmidt Alti-Babe wrote:
I am now going to be a firm believer in carrying and using some radios.
Good thing you have a pair. wink.gif Heck, Dude need a bit of adventure anyway...right? Makes up for all the trips he's missed out on due to work.

Opinions expressed here are my own.
Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostSun May 23, 2010 8:16 am 
Sadie's Driver wrote:
You name them!
You name them!
Moshe & Eileen

"...Other than that, the post was more or less accurate." Bernardo, NW Hikers' Bureau Chief of Reporting
yukon222

yukon222
PostSun May 23, 2010 5:48 pm 
With heavy rains battering the Westside, hopes were fading that we'd be hiking rainfree just over the Cascade Crest near Easton. But the parking area was dry so we headed up the steep trail with good spirits. Just a light breeze now and then plus a bit of sleet for a few minutes. All in all, very acceptable weather given the forecast and actual Westside conditions. Silver Creek was raging with meltwater. Partway up the trail, there is a good view of the creek as it funnels thru a narrow slot. I wonder if there is a good waterfall in there this time of year. The small one near the trailhead was fun to see and hear.
DSD_9170 - "What's down there?!?!"
DSD_9170 - "What's down there?!?!"
DSD_9171 - "Someone is approaching!?!"
DSD_9171 - "Someone is approaching!?!"
DSD_9174 - mystery solved!!
DSD_9174 - mystery solved!!
DSD_9181 - late snowfall sticking around
DSD_9181 - late snowfall sticking around
DSD_9182 - moment on Mount Baldy summit
DSD_9182 - moment on Mount Baldy summit
DSD_9183 - high above Lake Cle Elum
DSD_9183 - high above Lake Cle Elum
DSD_9184 - frozen trees at Mount Baldy
DSD_9184 - frozen trees at Mount Baldy
DSD_9194 - Working foggy ridges to Domerie
DSD_9194 - Working foggy ridges to Domerie
DSD_9197 - Domerie Peak
DSD_9197 - Domerie Peak
DSD_9198 - Boat launch area on Lake Cle Elum
DSD_9198 - Boat launch area on Lake Cle Elum
DSD_9200 - Happiness on Domerie Peak
DSD_9200 - Happiness on Domerie Peak
DSD_9209 - Clouds begin to lift briefly
DSD_9209 - Clouds begin to lift briefly
Pano_DSD_9209 - Lake Cle Elum
Pano_DSD_9209 - Lake Cle Elum
DSD_9214 - what all valleys should look like
DSD_9214 - what all valleys should look like
DSD_9215 - Lake Cle Elum
DSD_9215 - Lake Cle Elum
DSD_9216 - Domerie Peak summiteers
DSD_9216 - Domerie Peak summiteers
Pano_DSD_9218 - Domerie Peak far right
Pano_DSD_9218 - Domerie Peak far right
DSD_9220 - Spring day above Lake Cle Elum
DSD_9220 - Spring day above Lake Cle Elum
DSD_9221 - sunnier skies and smiles
DSD_9221 - sunnier skies and smiles
DSD_9223 - flower season begins
DSD_9223 - flower season begins
DSD_9224 - Raging Silver Creek falls
DSD_9224 - Raging Silver Creek falls
DSD_9225 - Silver Creek falls
DSD_9225 - Silver Creek falls

Middle E
no more moustache

Middle E
no more moustache
PostSun May 23, 2010 8:59 pm 
As we first stood on Baldy I was somewhat skeptical that we would reach Domerie (because we couldn't see it!)
Trees and fog near Para Point
Trees and fog near Para Point
Cle Elum Lake appears through the clouds from Baldy
Cle Elum Lake appears through the clouds from Baldy
Frosted trees on Baldy
Frosted trees on Baldy
Fortunately the weather took a turn for the better. Domerie was a small but interesting peak with nice views of Cle Elum Lake.
Steve and Tisha reaching Domerie Pk.
Steve and Tisha reaching Domerie Pk.
Cle Elum Lake
Cle Elum Lake
Cle Elum Lake with Stuart Range behind
Cle Elum Lake with Stuart Range behind

pithy yet insightful signature
Sadie's Driver
Sadie's Driver

Sadie's Driver
Sadie's Driver
PostSun May 23, 2010 9:28 pm 
Quark wrote:
Sadie's Driver wrote:
You name them!
You name them!
Moshe & Eileen
lol.gif

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostMon May 24, 2010 9:05 am 
Two things I'm not understanding: in the first line of the TR, SD says "he had his down and missed the fact..." I'm not sure what that means. Also, it is reported by Alti-Babe that the group did stay together. confused.gif I'm not trying to criticize, I really just don't get it. Also, didn't you all meet up at the cars? Did someone drive off and leave the other person? confused.gif I guess that's three things I'm not clear on.

Sadie's Driver
Sadie's Driver

Sadie's Driver
Sadie's Driver
PostMon May 24, 2010 1:01 pm 
Slugman wrote:
Two things I'm not understanding: in the first line of the TR, SD says "he had his down and missed the fact..." I'm not sure what that means. Also, it is reported by Alti-Babe that the group did stay together. confused.gif I'm not trying to criticize, I really just don't get it. Also, didn't you all meet up at the cars? Did someone drive off and leave the other person? confused.gif I guess that's three things I'm not clear on.
Ha-ha! Sluggo - No harm/no foul! My comment should have said "he had his HEAD down" (better than saying where it REALLY was placed!) And, yes, Alti-Babe was right - he WAS right behind us! This was a public flogging of the Dude. He just needs to get out more on the trail hink.gif so he can stay up with all of us! (He went back up over Baldy, while the rest of us went around it - but Alti-Babe and Yukon ended up going back up over it too, trying to find him.) All's well that ends well - Dude was waiting for Barry and me at the car lookin' mighty sheepish after his phone conversation with Tish! Oh my. Everyone is accounted for and the planets are once again aligned. winksmile.gif s.d.

BarbE

BarbE
PostMon May 24, 2010 1:15 pm 
I love a happy ending chickenleg.gif Great pictures too!