Forum Index > Trip Reports > Crystal Lake via new trail (Darrington area) 5/23/10
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
daffish

daffish
PostMon May 24, 2010 9:31 pm 
Hulksmash's recent reports of the new bridge over the Suiattle River and access to a newly built trail, piqued our interest into going up Road 2703 towards Circle Peak. The Forest Service was actually brushing out the roads in this whole area; a region that has been inaccessible since the major floods of 2003 took out the only bridge into the area. The road was in very good shape, but the last several miles were definitely 4 wheel drive territory. The roadbed itself has survived in wonderful condition, but the encroaching brush, lingering snowbanks, and one fairly rough stream crossing would not be friendly for a regular passenger car. We managed to drive just past the second switchback before solid snow forced us to park.
It looks like we parked in the road, but we were very assured no other car would get this far.
It looks like we parked in the road, but we were very assured no other car would get this far.
A friend and I had planned to check out the new trail from the Circle Creek drainage that jumped the ridge and contoured to Crystal Lake. Somehow, 4 more friends showed up to join in the fun. Everyone set off up the snowy road towards the start of the Circle Peak Trail. Near the road end, we found the connector trail that went upslope to the new trail. Actually, we believe this short connection was part of an old, abandoned trail that has been replaced by this new trail. Historically, there was a very old trail that went from the Circle Peak Trail to Crystal Lake. We did find very old blazes and ancient tread in places to verify our speculations. With a little research, I also found the trail on a 1940 map of the area but not on any more recent ones.
While not a Forest Service map, this does indicate that an old trail existed from the Circle Peak trail to Crystal Lake.
While not a Forest Service map, this does indicate that an old trail existed from the Circle Peak trail to Crystal Lake.
Anyway, this newly constructed trail gently switched back up to the saddle.
new trail switchbacking up the ridge
new trail switchbacking up the ridge
And then after a few more switchbacks, it eased over the ridge and started the long contour on the southern side heading for Crystal Lake. The trail is nicely constructed, very wide, and easy to follow even with the intermittent snow patches filling the slopes.
new trail
new trail
With very little elevation change, the trail ranged east toward the lake. Even being so new, this trail now requires some maintenance. At one gully crossing, debris has obliterated the path. A few trees have come down across the way, but otherwise, it is in fine shape.
gully washout on new trail
gully washout on new trail
some trees are across the trail
some trees are across the trail
As we continued east, the snow became deeper and deeper and the sky decided to start snowing in earnest.
bridgeway
bridgeway
getting snowier as we approach the lake
getting snowier as we approach the lake
solid snow as we near the lake
solid snow as we near the lake
By the time we reached the lake, visibility was shortened to a gray soft focus.
first glimpse of the lake
first glimpse of the lake
snowing at Crystal Lake
snowing at Crystal Lake
After a brief lunch under the trees hiding from the wet snow, we started meandering back.
leaving with snowfall
leaving with snowfall
outlet stream
outlet stream
A brief sucker hole of sunshine was heading our way.
A brief sucker hole of sunshine was heading our way.
along the outlet stream
along the outlet stream
stream bank labyrinth
stream bank labyrinth
The new trail stays high up on the ridge in the mature forest avoiding the logged out areas in the valley bottom. We also speculated that due to the past inaccessible nature of the area, we were perhaps some of the very first recreationists to use this trail other than Quark and JimK.
Crystal Lake Map
Crystal Lake Map

"Be moderate in everything, including moderation" Horace Porter
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostMon May 24, 2010 9:47 pm 
daffish, this just about brings tears to my eyes! After all this time, the uncertainly, the money, the waiting, waiting, waiting....and as soon as this area became accessible once again - people wrestle their way in - 'cause they love it! Thanks for the pics and report. We learned from Malachai Constant that there was an old, old trail from around Rat Trap Pass and over Skar Pass to Circle/Crystal Lake, but I hadn't seen any old maps of the area til you posted this one; thanks, dude. up.gif Andy Holland's book, Switchbacks, mentions that Bedal had a cabin at Crystal Lake at one time, and that Nels Bruseth & crew built the Meadow Mtn trail (and had a run-in with a grizzly that treed the whole crew!). I didn't read Hollands book til after we went to Crystal Lake, so I'm anxious to get back & see if there are any remains (of the cabin, not Bruseth's crew). I suspect it's location; doubt any remains remain - it was likely just an old hunting shack.

"...Other than that, the post was more or less accurate." Bernardo, NW Hikers' Bureau Chief of Reporting
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostMon May 24, 2010 10:16 pm 
When I was last there before the floods there were remnants of a cabin (mostly just some trimmed logs) near a small point on the south side.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Magellan
Brutally Handsome

Magellan
Brutally Handsome
PostMon May 24, 2010 11:05 pm 
That is a great map! Thanks for posting it. That old trail from the Rattrap area has been singled out for rebuild to get people over to the Circle Peak/Crystal Lake area if/after they close FR 2703. It makes sense since there is plenty of parking near the pass. Since they are working on 2703 perhaps that plan has been changed or postponed.

lopper
off-route

lopper
off-route
PostMon May 24, 2010 11:20 pm 
daffish: Great report. Here is a scan of a portion of the 1932 Mt Baker NF map. Nothing quite like finding those 80-year-old blazes.....following the little dotted lines!

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks
PostMon May 24, 2010 11:37 pm 
Nice work getting in there. We (NWers) are so lucky to have all the areas that are accessible, and then these get added back in to the pool, not to mention all the off-trail routes. I'm never leaving WA.

Hulksmash
Cleaning up.

Hulksmash
Cleaning up.
PostTue May 25, 2010 12:38 am 
Magellan wrote:
That is a great map! Thanks for posting it. That old trail from the Rattrap area has been singled out for rebuild to get people over to the Circle Peak/Crystal Lake area if/after they close FR 2703. It makes sense since there is plenty of parking near the pass. Since they are working on 2703 perhaps that plan has been changed or postponed.
They are also working on 2510 Conrad creek road. It's on the chopping block as well. Sadly, just cause they are working on it does not mean it's off the chopping block. In order to get trucks and equipment it needs to be good enough condition to do so. That means the insanity of fixing it just to destroy it. frown.gif

"Bears couldn't care less about us....we smell bad and don't taste too good. Bugs on the other hand see us as vending machines." - WetDog Albuterol! it's the 11th essential
GeoHiker
Rocky Walker

GeoHiker
Rocky Walker
PostTue May 25, 2010 6:11 pm 
Thanks for the report and pics. I'll have to take a wander back up that way now that it's finally opening up. I can hear the beat of hiking boots in the distance!....smile.gif Did you move your vehicle over after the pic? Not sure why you wouldn't have pulled off the road, looks like you had more than enough room. You may have thought nobody would be up there, but why force a large vehicle onto the far shoulder and tear up the road if you don't have to. down.gif Or worse have your vehicle side swiped or trashed because you aren't off the road.

You call some place paradise, kiss it goodbye......Eagles
daffish

daffish
PostTue May 25, 2010 6:30 pm 
GeoHiker wrote:
Not sure why you wouldn't have pulled off the road, looks like you had more than enough room.
Yes, I agree with everything you say and normally I make sure the car is well clear of the road. However, pictures don't always show the full story. As so often happens this time of year, the road can be totally clear and then suddenly change to one foot of snow. When I took the picture, I was standing at the beginning of the snowbank that covered the entire road. So it is a very deceiving picture. Nobody could drive any farther. And there was plenty of room to turn around both in front of us and behind us.

"Be moderate in everything, including moderation" Horace Porter
Sabahsboy

Sabahsboy
PostTue May 25, 2010 6:51 pm 
Thanks to all for information; this whets my appetite for a new trail. I enjoy Darrington District a great deal!

deerhunter

deerhunter
PostTue May 25, 2010 8:02 pm 
Good report. When I was 14 years old, Crystal lake was my first overnighter without adult supervision. Dad dropped a few of us kids off at the traihead and we were on our own. Great memories of that place. Hopefully the newness wears off after a year or so and meadow mountain doesn't get trampled.