Forum Index > Trip Reports > Dirty Face Peak(5-12)
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Trevor

Trevor
PostFri May 14, 2004 8:24 pm 
Enigma and I East headed on highway 2 to challenge Dirty Face Peak. Along highway 2 we wanted to give the clouds sufficient time before we drove further, so we opted for hiking to bridal veil. It was a damp and cool hike to the falls. On the way back to the car we met someone who had moved from Utah who was into extreme kayaking ,and was going to kayak the skykomish river that day. He brought out his laptop and entertained us with videos of guys doing flips in their kayaks through incredible torrents. We were also enlightened by footage he had of people base jumping off high mountains. We said our goodbyes and proceeded on to the shores of Lake Wenatchee. At the nascent of the hike we had our premonitions. We were both suffering from a heavy dosage of car sickness and reading the fact that ticks were heavy on this hike didn't allay the illness. To divert from attracting these pesky bugs, one must wear brighter apparel, and as luck would have it we were mostly decked black clothing. frown.gif As predicted, we began to climb up numerous hills/ switchbacks. Our moods lightened a bit when we saw some clusters of wildflowers and a descent waterfall, but unfortunately that was as satisfied as we would get. The incessant switchbacks continued to combat our weary quads ,and we were beginning to wonder if the conjectured 9 miles was really legitimate. We lumbered further on the now snow-covered inclines and attained the views of lake wenatchee and the nason ridge. On the way back our flesh was getting ripped apart by voracious mosquitos.With my blood ,I adequately fed about a 100 of them for probably around a week. I guess I gave to an insect charity. We definitely felt that this hike failed to reimburse us for our efforts.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Damian

Damian
PostFri May 14, 2004 11:30 pm 
Dirty Face mtn. Now there's an obscure trip report. I did that hike 35 years ago. Know how it got it's name? Look to the N from the SE shore of Lk Wen. The profile of a dirty face stares up from the W ridge.

Mike Collins

Mike Collins
PostSat May 15, 2004 5:47 am 
Did you climb to the former lookout site or did you get to the true summit? How was the traverse over to the true summit if you went there?

Trevor

Trevor
PostSat May 15, 2004 7:45 am 
We were pretty close to the old lookout, until we realized that the combination of the switchbacks, snow, ticks, and mosquitos wasn't worth going through given the views we had seen at that point. I am wondering if the hordes of bugs are encountered on the Round Mt. hike as well, and if the views are any better from there?

Damian

Damian
PostSat May 15, 2004 9:03 am 
The last time I went, the lookout was still there, though they had it all boarded and cabled up to be helicoptered out within days.

Andrew

Andrew
PostSat May 15, 2004 4:59 pm 
Damian wrote:
I did that hike 35 years ago.
I now understand why you never went back. hmmm.gif

marzsit
Dork

marzsit
Dork
PostSat May 15, 2004 6:11 pm 
Damian wrote:
The last time I went, the lookout was still there, though they had it all boarded and cabled up to be helicoptered out within days.
according to rex kamstra's website, the lookout was supposed to be moved to the present site of alpine lookout in 1975, but the helicopter was unable to lift it off the mountain so they burned it....

Damian

Damian
PostSun May 16, 2004 9:38 pm 
That's interesting. I'd like to visit Rex Kamstra's site. Can you direct me?

marzsit
Dork

marzsit
Dork
PostMon May 17, 2004 3:47 am 
Damian wrote:
That's interesting. I'd like to visit Rex Kamstra's site. Can you direct me?
rex's lookout site