Forum Index > Trip Reports > Foss Lakes
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
salish

salish
PostSat Jun 15, 2002 8:37 pm 
A buddy and I hiked into Trout Lake, on the Foss Lakes trail on Friday evening. The river was running fairly high - or at least I presume it was because, although I've never been there before, the water was rushing heavily against the log footbridge, occasionally slopping over, and was a whitewater torrent below the bridge. We encountered a 30' patch of snow at the bottom of the lake, but most if not all of the lakeshore was clear. There was some patches of snow on the trail around the lake, but not bad. The lake was open and gin clear. We fished in the evening and morning, and never caught a fish or saw a single rise. Likewise, there was very little bug activity on the water, although we did see some bats. On the way out I had a big scare. We both had our dogs with us and when I was crossing the above mentioned footbridge, my little lab mix lost his footing and fell into the whitewater on the downstream side of the footbridge. I almost lost him but was able to pull him back up on to the bridge (all 60 lbs of him) with the leash. The torrent was pretty bad so I may have lost him if it had not been for his leash. It was a little unnerving because I was having my own difficulties trying to balance on this thing with a heavy pack, much less pull a dog to saftey. Anyway, it's a nice short hike and the lake is very pretty. Next time we'll head to Big & little Heart Lakes. Cliff

My short-term memory is not as sharp as it used to be. Also, my short-term memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
catwoman

catwoman
PostSun Jun 16, 2002 5:02 pm 
I'm glad everyone's ok!

salish

salish
PostSun Jun 16, 2002 5:14 pm 
Thanks
CascadeHiker: In regard to the leash - very true. I seldom let him off his leash, and this is one of the reasons why. My hiking buddy had his dog off leash, but I think he'll be leashing his dog from now on. Thanks Catwoman - me too! Cliff

My short-term memory is not as sharp as it used to be. Also, my short-term memory's not as sharp as it used to be.