Forum Index > Partners > hiking mt st helens partner
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
nachesrider

nachesrider
PostSat Jun 05, 2010 11:44 am 
HI Im looking for a partner to hike up st helens one weekday this month in june. The weekends are already full, I want to hike it soon but not good by myself. Im not worried about my capability. I just backpacked in yosemite and hike 8 miles very easily! Anyone interested in going please let me know. Its a 10hour hike I heard and we would want to get out there the night before and camp by the truck to get going early in the morning!

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
evergreen16

evergreen16
PostMon Jun 07, 2010 11:27 am 
I hear there are some sort of permits to go to the rim or the volcano. Are you familiar with that or do you already have it? I'd be interested.

Redwic
Unlisted Free Agent

Redwic
Unlisted Free Agent
PostMon Jun 07, 2010 11:52 am 
Evergreen16 is correct. Mount Saint Helens currently has an active climbing permit season going...

60 pounds lighter but not 60 points brighter.
nachesrider

nachesrider
PostMon Jun 07, 2010 3:16 pm 
permit
would need to get the permit, they are issued per each day for 22dollars and all the weekends are full for months. So it would have to be during the week to be able to get in!

HundsSolo
Baby Step Hiking :o)

HundsSolo
PostMon Jun 07, 2010 9:46 pm 
You do know you will need to use the winter route? St Helen's is still covered in snow. Remember to check the avalanche conditions before climbing.
Mt St Helens - 6-5-10
Mt St Helens - 6-5-10

The Mountains are Calling - I must go and PLAY! If you don't Respect Mother Nature, Mother Nature won't respect you. Wag More and Bark Less smile.gif
nachesrider

nachesrider
PostTue Jun 08, 2010 8:06 am 
Thank you I do know about the winter route, a friend of mine just did the hike about 3 weeks ago. It was like a 10 hour hike!

evergreen16

evergreen16
PostTue Jun 08, 2010 9:51 am 
I'm enjoying time off from work this month, so I could go any day of the week. I'm sure there will be a couple of nice days next week. Already this weekend the snow was consolidated up to 6000', so I wouldn't worry about snow conditions for next week. Just send me a PM when you want to go and if you have some route stats you can share in advance, that would be nice.

HundsSolo

HundsSolo
PostThu Jun 10, 2010 9:04 pm 
Check latest Avy notice about volcanoes Special Avalanche Statement June 10, 2010 An increasingly dangerous snowpack is expected at higher elevations in the Cascades and Olympics late this week, especially on the volcanoes above 7 to 8000 ft Following closely on the heels of several unusually potent and wet storms last week, a moderate to strong late spring storm Sunday produced 6 to 12 inches of additional new snow on terrain above 7 to 8000 feet, with yet another moderate front dropping 4 to 6 inches or more of new snow at higher elevations Tuesday night and Wednesday morning along with generally increasing winds. Overall, the strong June storms thus far have produced from around 2 to over 6 inches of water equivalent in many NW mountain locations, with heaviest amounts on the volcanoes. The associated increased accumulations of new snowfall at higher elevations on the NW volcanoes from Mt Hood northward through Mt Baker and in the Olympics have resulted in a generally increased avalanche danger in steeper terrain, with rain or wet snow producing increasing areas of wet, weak snow around the 6 to 7000 feet level and unusually large amounts of unstable new snow accumulations developing above 7 to 8000 feet. Wind deposits of 3 to 6 feet or more have been reported on southeast thru northeast exposures around the 9-10,000 ft level and above where intermittently strong winds were received. These new snow amounts taper off quickly below 6 to 7000 ft with only minor amounts of a trace to an inch or so of snow recorded at the 5000 ft level. This weather has already resulted in increased avalanche activity at a variety of mid and upper elevations as evidenced by this wet slab near Chinook Pass around the 6 to 7000 ft elevation, and the large 3 to 6 ft slide on Mt Rainier around 12,800 ft that caught 11 climbers and skiers early last Saturday. The Mt Rainier avalanche appears to have initiated in an upper layer and stepped down to a deeper weak layer. Recent snowpack information from NPS rangers at higher elevations on Mt Rainier indicate that in addition to the sheer quantity of new snowfall amounts, a worrisome snowapck structure also exists. Field tests around the 11,000 ft level on Tuesday show significant energy stored within the upper part of the snowpack, as well as several weak layers buried within the late May and early June storm deposits. In most areas, the greatest accumulations of this potentially unstable snow structure exist on southeast through northeast exposures where greatest wind drifting has occured. Such widespread snow instability in June underscores the fact that the weather not the calendar dictates avalanche danger on higher elevations in any mountainous terrain. The most recent storm system to affect the region has begun to move off to the east as of mid-day Wednesday. However, the associated upper level disturbance should maintain rather cool showery weather into late Thursday with another 6 to 10 inches of snow possible above the 7 to 8000 ft level over the next 36 hours and a few inches down to around 6000 ft. Following the departure of this upper level disturbance early Friday, a slow but very substantial warming and drying trend should move over the NW mid-late Friday through Sunday. With mostly fair skies and decreasing winds expected along with the highest freezing levels since last summer (10-12,000 ft late Friday rising to 13-15,000 ft mid-late Saturday and Sunday), the snowpack should become increasingly unstable and dangerous Friday through Sunday, with a wide variety of avalanche activity probable. Although the NW snowpack has experienced considerable stabilization or melting over the past few weeks below about 5000 feet, the warming and sun should produce an increasing potential for wet loose or wet slabs around the 6-7000 ft level, along with an increasing likelihood of some large slab avalanches, icefall or cornice releases above 7 to 8000 ft. Also, melting snow from rocks or cliff areas are likely to trigger slides on the slopes below, with resulting loose or wet loose slides possibly triggering larger slab or wet slabs, depending on elevation and aspect. In short, this weekend should produce an increasing considerable danger around the 6 to 7000 ft level and a high to extreme avalanche danger on steeper higher elevation terrain above 7 to 8000 ft where signficant recent snowfall has been received. As a result of these expected weather and avalanche conditions, travelers venturing into higher elevation terrain in the Cascades and Olympics are urged to be conservative in their decision making, very cautious in their route finding, and factor avalanche danger into their goals and route selection throughout the week ahead...as very few goals or routes are worth injury or worse. Please stay aware of expected weather and the snowpack over this time of transition toward a gradually more stable snowpack at higher elevations, and ratchet back both goals and expectations to help minimize potential avalanche involvement. Please note that this statement does not apply to highways or operating ski areas...and applies mainly to higher elevation terrain in the Olympics...Washington Cascades...and Mt Hood...especially the volcanoes. This statement will be updated as conditions warrant.

The Mountains are Calling - I must go and PLAY! If you don't Respect Mother Nature, Mother Nature won't respect you. Wag More and Bark Less smile.gif
nachesrider

nachesrider
PostSat Jun 12, 2010 4:00 pm 
LOOKS LIKE THE 22ND OF THIS MONTH AND THE 29TH ARE THE LAST TWO DAYS AVAILABLE! WOULD CAMP THE NIGHT BEFORE AT CLIMBERS BIVOUAC

nachesrider

nachesrider
PostSat Jun 12, 2010 5:06 pm 
OR THE 15TH OR 16TH OF THIS NEXT WEEK ARE STILL AVAILABLE. YOU HAVE TO BUY THE PERMIT ONLINE AND IM NOT GONNA BUY ONE TILL I HAVE A FOR SURE PERSON TO HIKE WITH!

HundsSolo

HundsSolo
PostWed Jun 16, 2010 9:45 pm 
nachesrider wrote:
OR THE 15TH OR 16TH OF THIS NEXT WEEK ARE STILL AVAILABLE. YOU HAVE TO BUY THE PERMIT ONLINE AND IM NOT GONNA BUY ONE TILL I HAVE A FOR SURE PERSON TO HIKE WITH!
Years past I have called the Lone Fir Resort and asked if they had permits that had been turned in and were up for sale. I got one everytime. This was during the week. You might try that but you need to be flexible on being able to get off work.