Forum Index > Trip Reports > Hoodoo Peak 8464', 6/18/10
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Mesahchie Mark
A Lerxst

Mesahchie Mark
A Lerxst
PostSun Jun 20, 2010 4:01 pm 
I left town Friday morning for another trip to the Chelan-Sawtooth, hoping to outlast the weather and tag both Hoodoo Peak and Raven Ridge. Joining me this time was the one and only Killa_B. We arrived intact and snowfree at the Libby Lake trailhead in time to start hiking just before 1:00 PM. The Libby Lake Trail starts at 4400' and gains altitude efficiently due to a moderate, even grade. After 1000' of elevation, the grade mellows a bit. At about 5900', we encountered snow, encouraging us to put on snowshoes shortly thereafter. Despite the snow, the trail was still fairly easy to follow.
Early Views
Early Views
At around 6800', we lost the trail, but it was pretty obvious we were due east of Hoodoo. (We never did find the cabin.) Angling westward, we dropped our camping gear in a decent spot around 7200'. At 5:00 PM, we commenced the push for Hoodoo's summit. We ditched the snowshoes at 7500', as the snow had firmed up substantially as the slope steepened. We made a beeline for the southern ridge. From there, all that was left to do was make the snow and talus scramble up to summit, which we gained by 6:30 PM. Our arrival was met with an episodic corn snow storm that obscured our views and forced us to leave quickly.
Killa_B is Klimbing!
Killa_B is Klimbing!
Looking Back to Methow
Looking Back to Methow
Hoodoo View
Hoodoo View
Hoodoo Cloudbreak
Hoodoo Cloudbreak
Hoodoo Woo Hoo!
Hoodoo Woo Hoo!
Killa_B Hoodoo Summit
Killa_B Hoodoo Summit
We made it back to camp by 7:45 PM. Along the way, the weather broke enough to allow some very nice views.
Views to the West
Views to the West
More Western Views
More Western Views
Views Continued
Views Continued
Raven Ridge
Raven Ridge
Hoodoo Adieu
Hoodoo Adieu
Although we had plans to meet up with TDD and Magnum on Raven Ridge the next day, a quick assessment of our situation indicated that was not going to happen. The route to Raven Ridge via Libby Lake would have been a very strenuous and perhaps dangerous steep snow climb. Already, we had spent too much energy snowshoeing with heavy packs just to get where we were. Instead, we chose to hike out at our leisure Saturday morning, enjoying a bit of early morning sunshine before the clouds returned, satisfied with a memorable summit of Hoodoo.
Raven Morning
Raven Morning

Cheers, Mesahchie Mark
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
RichP

RichP
PostSun Jun 20, 2010 4:15 pm 
You are right about the climb from Libby Lake to Raven Ridge. It would have likely been treacherous. I did not like it when it was snow-free. TDD and Magnum had the right idea to do it from the other side.

Mesahchie Mark
A Lerxst

Mesahchie Mark
A Lerxst
PostSun Jun 20, 2010 4:19 pm 
RichP wrote:
You are right about the climb from Libby Lake to Raven Ridge. It would have likely been treacherous. I did not like it when it was snow-free. TDD and Magnum had the right idea to do it from the other side.
The Crater Lake approach is now the plan, hopefully in a month or so, once the snow has melted and the sun is shining!

Cheers, Mesahchie Mark
twodogdad

twodogdad
PostSun Jun 20, 2010 4:21 pm 
Too bad you didn't find the cabin: matter of fact I imagined you luxuriating in the cabin and was envious because our night--mine in particular--was nothing to write home about, despite Chris's tarp shelter. It was a 3 dog night and I was one dog short (especially since one of them slept inside my sleeping bag preventing me from zipping it up). But more importantly, we looked and waited and yelled (only to be answered by distant echoes) and waited--to pelt you with snowballs: next time smile.gif N

Mesahchie Mark
A Lerxst

Mesahchie Mark
A Lerxst
PostSun Jun 20, 2010 4:26 pm 
twodogdad wrote:
But more importantly, we looked and waited and yelled (only to be answered by distant echoes) and waited--to pelt you with snowballs: next time smile.gif N
Sure, Niko, sure tongue.gif

Cheers, Mesahchie Mark
huron

huron
PostSun Jun 20, 2010 4:47 pm 
Even though you were not there, it was still fun to shout your name from the top of Libby. Echo takes about 3 seconds to return quite loudly. We must have been at the focal point of the cirque.

TrailPair

TrailPair
PostSun Jun 20, 2010 4:48 pm 
twodogdad wrote:
Too bad you didn't find the cabin: matter of fact I imagined you luxuriating in the cabin and was envious because our night--mine in particular--was nothing to write home about, despite Chris's tarp shelter. It was a 3 dog night and I was one dog short (especially since one of them slept inside my sleeping bag preventing me from zipping it up). But more importantly, we looked and waited and yelled (only to be answered by distant echoes) and waited--to pelt you with snowballs: next time smile.gif N
It sounds like a COLD night! eek.gif

This thing called work is interfering with my play
raising3hikers

raising3hikers
PostSun Jun 20, 2010 5:00 pm 
up.gif Thanks for the TR, glad the weather cleared enough for some great views

Eric Eames
twodogdad

twodogdad
PostSun Jun 20, 2010 5:56 pm 
TrailPair wrote:
twodogdad wrote:
I imagined you luxuriating in the cabin and was envious because our night--mine in particular--was nothing to write home about, despite Chris's tarp shelter. It was a 3 dog night and I was one dog short (especially since one of them slept inside my sleeping bag preventing me from zipping it up). N
It wasn't that cold, just was wet-and-coldish, and my furry friends take a while to dry up before they begin to radiate serious heat: a Chihuahua, I image, would be an instant warmer--like those hand warmers you can apply to various part of your body--"for up to six hours"--or even more if they improved the breed smile.gif N

TrailPair

TrailPair
PostSun Jun 20, 2010 6:20 pm 
twodogdad wrote:
TrailPair wrote:
twodogdad wrote:
I imagined you luxuriating in the cabin and was envious because our night--mine in particular--was nothing to write home about, despite Chris's tarp shelter. It was a 3 dog night and I was one dog short (especially since one of them slept inside my sleeping bag preventing me from zipping it up). N
It wasn't that cold, just was wet-and-coldish, and my furry friends take a while to dry up before they begin to radiate serious heat: a Chihuahua, I image, would be an instant warmer--like those hand warmers you can apply to various part of your body--"for up to six hours"--or even more if they improved the breed smile.gif N
Yep, they dry off very quickly!

This thing called work is interfering with my play
Yet

Yet
PostSun Jun 20, 2010 8:00 pm 
Man, that was you all yelling from the summits? No wonder I could not sleep at home. Hmph. Just kidding, I was very nice and warm under the big blankie. wink.gif Fun trip(s), gentlemen(s)! up.gif

EastKing
Surfing and Hiking

EastKing
Surfing and Hiking
PostSun Jun 20, 2010 8:16 pm 
Looked go! Sometime soon I have to hit Hoodoo! up.gif

YouTube | SummitPost Saw the depths of despair. Now I am salvaging what time I have left on Earth.