Forum Index > Partners > Gotten the bug back
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
traverse

traverse
PostTue Jun 22, 2010 6:32 pm 
I'm a fairly recent transplant(to Seattle), well just under a year living up here and I've just gotten the wanderlust bug back. I'm completely clueless as to whats around the area other than a few hikes in a small guidebook I picked up. Not really up for much more than day hikes right now as I'm having to replace all my gear since its still in Texas. So if anyone is up for some dayhikes let me know! I live on the Eastside but I'll travel a ways if need be.

Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you and the storms their energy, while cares will drop off like autumn leaves. - John Muir
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
forest gnome
Forest nut...

forest gnome
Forest nut...
PostTue Jun 22, 2010 9:22 pm 
So curious gnomes and others want to know your hiking background, generally stuff like do you overnight/ leave no trace/hate lg. fires/ ect.. ect... the really great trips are 2-3 nights, with some great people here! we are all gear-whores so overnight gear is no problem to loan ya....most here are old-school rule followers (at least I hope we are).... oh welcome to the sight and to the mindblowing state of washington!!!!

veronika

veronika
PostTue Jun 22, 2010 9:29 pm 
Where at in Texas? Do you want easy or do you want elevation?

Take risks not to escape life, but to prevent life from escaping I may not have anyone rocking my world right now but, I don't have anyone messing it up either.
traverse

traverse
PostTue Jun 22, 2010 10:31 pm 
So my experience is mostly day hikes around Palo Duro Canyon in the Texas panhandle and around Colorado Springs, I've summited Pikes Peak(only real mountain experience, nothing technical) and I've thought about starting high pointing(so far only have bagged the Black Mesa in Oklahoma because it was close to home). I was going to do a southbound AT through hike when I got out of the Army but I blew my money on something else(HUGE MISTAKE). I love overnight trips, I've done a few weekend trips before, I'm for following leave no trace as much as possible after all if we dont take care of our wilderness who will? I really want to get out for longer(multi week) sometime, pick up some mountaineering skills, do some peak bagging, of course the latter stuff is after I work on my fitness, I let myself go after I got out of the Army, but I can still manage 3 mph with a light load on flat ground so I'm not that far off

Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you and the storms their energy, while cares will drop off like autumn leaves. - John Muir
traverse

traverse
PostTue Jun 22, 2010 10:33 pm 
Hiker in training wrote:
Where at in Texas?
Dumas Texas. Its about 45 miles north of Amarillo