Forum Index > Trip Reports > new Lime Kiln Trail - preview 5/10/04
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostWed May 19, 2004 8:05 am 
Only an idiot would walk an iron-laden rock road in a lightning storm with a giant heap of rock named Iron Mountain 100 yards away. tongue.gif You all should read Ethan Brand. It'll enhance the experience of the Lime Kiln trail once it's opened. Hawthorne. My god, that man could write...! He's on my list of men I'd marry if only they weren't 1) gay, 2) drunks 3) drug addicts 4) insane, and last but not least, 5) dead.

"...Other than that, the post was more or less accurate." Bernardo, NW Hikers' Bureau Chief of Reporting
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
MooseAndSquirrel

MooseAndSquirrel
PostWed May 19, 2004 3:11 pm 
Quark wrote:
Only an idiot would walk an iron-laden rock road in a lightning storm with a giant heap of rock named Iron Mountain 100 yards away. tongue.gif You all should read Ethan Brand. It'll enhance the experience of the Lime Kiln trail once it's opened. Hawthorne. My god, that man could write...! He's on my list of men I'd marry if only they weren't 1) gay, 2) drunks 3) drug addicts 4) insane, and last but not least, 5) dead.
Guess I miss out- I'm feeling deadly tired but I'm still kicking. Go ahead sister, stick your claws into some other poor schmoe! "...by stepping aside for a moment, a man exposes himself to a fearful risk of losing his place forever." -Wakefield, Hawthorne This is pretty appropo- "Romance and poetry, ivy, lichens, and wallflowers, need ruin to make then grow." smile.gif Golly, I feel like I'm in a movie like Dead Poets Society or sumpthin'.... embarassedlaugh.gif

kiliki

kiliki
PostThu May 20, 2004 11:30 am 
Hey, people involved with this trail: If those artifacts are valuable to you then get yourself some volunteers to catalog and preserve them (maybe a local historical society can help with this, and put them on display in a local museum). If you leave them there they will be gone in no time-such an easy trail so close to so many people. I know from my NPS work that people are SHAMELESS about collecting artifacts even when they KNOW it is illegal. The amount of archaeological theft that occurs is mindblowing. At the very least post signs at the trailhead about leaving artifacts alone, though I have no doubt many will ignore this sign and take whatever they think is cool or can take to Antiques Roadshow.

MooseAndSquirrel

MooseAndSquirrel
PostThu May 20, 2004 3:11 pm 
That's all been thought of and is being worked on as we speak. "Stop Thieves" signage won't help one iota and in fact will be the first thing shot at, knocked over, or taken.

kiliki

kiliki
PostFri May 21, 2004 11:18 am 
Glad to hear it. I worked on a project for a couple years at San Juan Island NHP and there was a local guy who used to illegally collect artifacts-old American and English military objects-from the park. He eventually acquired such a collection that the school and local library invited him to display his finds and explain them, despite the fact that the chief ranger told these institutions that the guy obtained the items illegally and would they please not encourage him. They ignored his requests. The guy has been caught in the park with objects in his bag a number of times but unless you actually see them dig the item up and take it, you can't arrest them. He would claim he brought them in with him and was just taking a walk. How can someone be so immoral and selfish? mad.gif And that of course is nothing compared to the grave digging and arch. site robbing that occurs at other parks.

Newt
Short Timer

Newt
Short Timer
PostFri May 21, 2004 12:58 pm 
kiliki wrote:
And that of course is nothing compared to the grave digging and arch. site robbing that occurs at other parks.
That should include world wide. Newt

It's pretty safe to say that if we take all of man kinds accumulated knowledge, we still don't know everything. So, I hope you understand why I don't believe you know everything. But then again, maybe you do.