Forum Index > Partners > Rideshare from Seattle to Rainier & back?...7-3 and 7-11
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
mrkapasi

mrkapasi
PostSun May 23, 2010 8:34 am 
Hi folks! I'm new to the site so I hope it's appropriate to post here for rideshares. Well, here goes! My friend Kevin and I will visit Seattle (from LA & Austin) this summer to hike the Northern Loop of Rainier. We're looking for a ride (we'll pay gas!) from Seattle to the Carbon River entrance on Saturday morning, July 2nd. Then we're looking for a ride back to Seattle (again, we'll pay gas) from the Carbon River entrance on Sunday, July 11th, anytime. We're a couple of easy-going, friendly guys who will either tell stories or shut up during the ride, whatever you prefer. Thanks a bunch, MKapasi

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
DrakeBrimstone

DrakeBrimstone
PostTue Jun 29, 2010 10:51 am 
Are you still looking for a ride? If you have room on your permit for me I'd love to join you. Just to be sure you know, the Carbon River Road is closed past the Ranger Station (at the enterence to the park) so it would be required to hike in from that point. Oh, and I'm assuming you mean Saturday the 3rd wink.gif If you have room I can provide a ride there on the 3rd and back on the 11th. (That just happens to match the vacation I had canceled at the last minute.)

mrkapasi

mrkapasi
PostWed Jun 30, 2010 8:32 am 
Hey DB, Thanks for the reply! With the snow cover on the Northern Loop it looks like we have to change our route. We're just not equipped to handle the snow conditions. Right now route plans are in flux because there's not much of the park that is snow-free. I'm going to call a ranger station today and ask for advice. In any case, we still plan to spend 7/3 (thanks for the correction!) to 7/11 at Rainier. We have a ride to Rainier after all, but need one back to Seattle on the 11th. You asked if we have room on our permit. We don't plan any climbing, which as far as I know is the only thing one needs a permit for. As for our campsite reservations, they are in flux because of snow cover. If you're familiar with Rainier, do have any advice about where to hike this time of year? Thanks! MrK

DrakeBrimstone

DrakeBrimstone
PostWed Jun 30, 2010 9:06 am 
Permits arn't just for climbing. You need permits for camping outside the three car camping campgrounds. There are limited spots at the backcountry campsites and if you plan on going off trail they have a limit on how many people can be in a region at a time. Looking at the current trail reports you will be very hard pressed to find any trails sufficiently snow free for that long of a trip. Trails and Backcountry Camp Conditions Edit: This is not normal for this time of year. People are frequently hiking the Wonderland Trail at this time of year with very little snow apart from Seattle Park and Panhandle Gap areas.