Forum Index > Food & Grub > DIY Micro Grind Coffee?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostTue Mar 09, 2010 9:40 am 
Not to poo-poo your efforts but, the process is more than just microgrinding (<350 micron) Starbucks beans. The Starbucks Application lists a number of different methods. These include doing the microgrinding in the presence of liquid nitrogen or liquid nitrogen cooled grinding. All of the embodiments further add conventional instant coffee to the mix. Several further add coffee flavors and aromas and package the product in N2 to preserve it. Some of these processes could be difficult to accomplish at home. As an officer of the Court, I have to warn that duplicating the product defined by the claims would be an infringement of the patent when and if it issues even if done for personal use.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
mike

mike
PostTue Mar 09, 2010 9:58 am 
IMHO this is destined to be a big waste of your time and more importantly, a waste of good coffee. Sit down with a properly brewed fresh cup and reconsider. smile.gif

Dante

Dante
PostTue Mar 09, 2010 11:49 am 
mike wrote:
IMHO this is destined to be a big waste of your time and more importantly, a waste of good coffee. Sit down with a properly brewed fresh cup and reconsider. smile.gif
You are right of course. I just love experiments. FWIW, here is how I get my caffeine while backpacking if necessary to ward off withdrawals: http://www.essentialsforlivingwell.com/Products/Vivarin/default.aspx ETA - I knew we could count on MC wink.gif

Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostTue Mar 09, 2010 12:18 pm 
I will be switching to one of these for backcountry coffee: http://www.seattlecoffeegear.com/Hario-Coffee-Dripper-V60-Clear-Small-p/scg11529.htm As much as I don't like the bulk and hassle of carrying a cone, this Hario reviews very well. They say it kicks the butt of a Melitta cone, something about the ridges on the inside of the come there. If you too are interested in this, just know that the small ones are on backorder at this place and they may not have them until the end of the month. The Via is pretty damn fine instant, but nothing will ever take the place of real coffee.

www.allisonoutside.com follow me on Twitter! @AllisonLWoods
byproxy

byproxy
PostTue Mar 09, 2010 2:09 pm 
Malachai Constant wrote:
As an officer of the Court, I have to warn that duplicating the product defined by the claims would be an infringement of the patent when and if it issues even if done for personal use.
lol

IPLitAtty

IPLitAtty
PostThu Jul 01, 2010 10:33 am 
Mal, You're assuming that VIA is an embodiment of one of the claims, of which you can not be certain. True, IF the patent issues with those claims, then following that method would be infringing the patent. But, even following the claims will not necessarily get you a VIA-like product unless you can be sure that is the process Starbucks follows. I really wonder whether those other steps (liquid nitrogen, etc.) are really necessary, or whether Starbucks threw those in because "grinding the coffee really really small" would likely not be patentable... The efforts by folks here may not be so in-vain as you suggest.

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostThu Jul 01, 2010 11:57 am 
I remember reading that Via is a mixture of instant coffee and micro-grind coffee. So you could perhaps take a decent instant, add some micro-grind of your own, and at least improve the instant. Via isn't quite so pricey at Costco. I pay just $16 for 24 packets. That's only 66 cents per 8 oz cup. My complaint is that 8 ozs isn't enough, but 16 ozs is too much. Since the stuff is pretty good, and so light as to almost float away, and leaves such a minuscule amount of garbage, it has found a place in my food arsenal.

polecatjoe
Silent but deadly

polecatjoe
Silent but deadly
PostThu Jul 01, 2010 12:12 pm 
Downside is Costco, as far as I know, only has the Colombian. I like the Italian Roast better, and even make it at work if I'm in a hurry.

"If we didn't live venturously, plucking the wild goat by the beard, and trembling over precipices, we should never be depressed, I've no doubt; but already should be faded, fatalistic and aged." - Virginia Woolf
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostThu Jul 01, 2010 12:20 pm 
I find the Via to be much superior to other instants. While it is true you can grind coffee to a powder that is only part of the process. Powdered coffee like powdered spices deteriorates very quickly both through evaporation of essential oils and by oxidation. To do it properly you have to store in nitrogen very quickly if not during grinding. We usually use 3 packets for two 12 oz. cups. Patent Claims are drawn to be as broad as possible without covering the prior art (if the drafter is competent wink.gif ). You are right in that Claims may not cover the actual product but on the other hand there is no point on going to the expense of a patent which does not cover a viable product.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostThu Jul 01, 2010 12:52 pm 
Yes, only Colombian at Costco. I didn't even know there were other flavors. doh.gif Seems pretty obvious that there would be, now that you mention it. doh.gif Just be sure to keep the ratio of water to coffee at 8 ozs to one packet, as Mal does with his three to make 24 ozs. I tried "cheating" to make a 12 oz cup with one packet, and the flavor doesn't hold up. They are not kidding when they say it makes 8 ozs of good coffee.

joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostWed Jul 07, 2010 6:34 pm 
Drifting in the direction set by AllisonW, has anyone here done a blind taste test of drip brewed in the field (with coffee ground at least a day or more before, as I assume most would do for a backpack) versus Via? It's amazing how subjective tasting can be, and blind tests can surprise you...

Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostThu Jul 08, 2010 10:30 am 
I'd be willing to try that at home. I have two different cones I'd pit up agin' the VIA as well.

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostThu Jul 08, 2010 11:03 am 
Testing gear/food meant for the backcountry at home doesn't do the trick, IMO. I enjoy stuff out in the backcountry that I hate when at home – food, drink, etc. International Foods instant stuff: Tolerable, but just barely in the backcounty if it's all you have. Never good at home, no matter how desperate you are. Folgers bags: Good in the backcountry but only for one season - thereafter it's just instant in a bag. Not good at home, but you'll use it if desperate. Via: Very good in the backcountry, very good at home if you’re desperate, but you'll be glad when you finally get off your lazy ass and get to the store to buy real coffee. Data imcomplete re whether the “very good” status extends beyond one season in the backcountry. All anyone needs for coffee in the backcountry is a mesh screen to filter the grounds. You don't even have to buy anything - just cut a piece off your neighbor's screen door. No need to buy anything new on the market; I'm telling you, your neighbors screen door cannot be improved upon when it comes to making quality coffee in the backcountry.

"...Other than that, the post was more or less accurate." Bernardo, NW Hikers' Bureau Chief of Reporting
Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostThu Jul 08, 2010 11:09 am 
I totally disagree with several points. The screen door thing is just narsty. You are right about things being tastier in the backcountry, but home can be a good starting place. I think comparison testing could definitely be done at home, especially if it's blind.

pimaCanyon

pimaCanyon
PostThu Jul 08, 2010 12:13 pm 
Quark wrote:
Testing gear/food meant for the backcountry at home doesn't do the trick, IMO. I enjoy stuff out in the backcountry that I hate when at home – food, drink, etc.
So do a nwhikers social in the backcountry. Some nice backcountry camp, have someone in charge of setting up blind taste tests. Then you can get true taste tests of how all these backcountry coffee methods actually taste out there.

It's never too late to have a happy childhood