Forum Index > Trip Reports > Manastash Lake 5/22, Black Canyon-Umptanum Ridge 5/23
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Dslayer

Dslayer
PostMon May 24, 2004 8:29 am 
On Saturday, one of my colleagues and I took 4 of our Yellowstone kids and one of our potential chaperones into Manastash Lake-the lake is open, the trail is nearly snow free and best of all-the fish were biting. I caught a limit of brookies, nice fat 12-13 inchers in about 10 casts. Cold, showery day-not many people had been there prior to us, but a good number were coming up the trail as we walked out and this weekend will probably see a deluge of people. The campground area at the South end of the lake below the ridge is still under snow. Returning home over Durr Road, (I drove my pickup to the Manastash trailhead) I nearly had the opportunity to spend the night in Umptanum Canyon-the t-storms and showers of the past week have turned the road into a quagmire, it was a battle to get out of there-the good news is that many flowers are still blooming and the grass, even on the S. side of the ridge, is beautiful. There was even flash flooding earlier in the week in the upper Wenas. On Sunday, I walked up Black Canyon, then where the road splits, took the left had split to almost the top of the ridge, then took a closed road across the tops of two canyons that drain into the Wenas, I think they are Lemon and Horse Trough canyons and looked into the top of a third unamed canyon before heading north up onto the ridge. I saw some deer and elk, put a pretty good sneak on 9 cows and yearlings, getting within 50 yards w/o being sensed, then backed out w/o scaring them at all. I followed the spur that makes up the west ridge of Black Canyon down to the pickup. It's hard to think of this as the desert when its this wet, flowers are blooming all over, and the grass is luxuriant-of course, this will change over the summer, but it's sure cool right now.

"The Second Amendment of the Bill of Rights is my concealed weapon permit."-Ted Nugent
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
salish

salish
PostMon May 24, 2004 2:53 pm 
Dang, I would have loved to go. Are you planning any more trips? Cliff

My short-term memory is not as sharp as it used to be. Also, my short-term memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
Dslayer

Dslayer
PostTue May 25, 2004 8:33 am 
Hi Cliff-we're planning an overnighter to Manastash Lake for June 5-6-there's lot of camp sites, room along the lake to fish, and I doubt too many of the kids will go so you won't be overrun by a bunch of teenagers-plus our kids are pretty good to begin with.

"The Second Amendment of the Bill of Rights is my concealed weapon permit."-Ted Nugent