Forum Index > Partners > North Cascades - Sahale Arm
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Mbetz

Mbetz
PostFri Jul 16, 2010 4:07 pm 
I will be heading up to the Marblemount area for the first time on Saturday and thought I'd cross Sahale arm off my list. Going solo but it would be great if another nwhiker with similar ambitions wants to head up and split some gas. Was thinking I'd just head up to the foot of the glacier and call it good from there. I don't have glacier travel equip or experience and while this is supposed to be an "easy" glacier I prefer my trips to not end up as headline in Sunday's news. I expect there to be plenty of snow from the pass to the camping area so please be prepared for that. (If anyone has been up recently and has some additional tips that would be great.) Will probably leave Seattle around 6am and could meet or pick up if conveniently located.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
erik the red

erik the red
PostFri Jul 16, 2010 7:17 pm 
We'll probably see you up there!

Magellan
Brutally Handsome

Magellan
Brutally Handsome
PostFri Jul 16, 2010 10:44 pm 
Last Saturday
Quote:
Shortly before reaching the pass, we encountered several snow slopes. Shortly after leaving the pass, we switchbacked up the Sahale Arm Trail, weaving between snow-covered slopes and melted-out meadow slopes. We reached a small saddle at approximately 6000' elevation, and then began traversing left (northwest) for a short distance. We could see the beautiful colors of Doubtful Lake and it's broken-ice top below us, to the north. Soon, Sahale Arm began trending northeast. This mid-section of Sahale Arm was mostly melted-out. Marmots were seen throughout the meadow ridgetop.