Forum Index > Trip Reports > Tolmie Peak Lookout 7-15-10
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Hikingqueen

Hikingqueen
PostThu Jul 15, 2010 4:46 pm 
I've been dying to see Mowich melted out. I picked something easy today 1,200 gain 7.2 RT. The road is PERFECT, not one single pothole! I did however hit one patch of super loose gravel and I might have been doing a hair over the posted speed limit and lost complete control for about 10 seconds. My FJ has this anti-skid thing and it was beeping like CRAZY! I was more scared of the beeping that wouldn't stop than the actual skit skirting sideways.. nothing like a little sideways action to make the heart pump faster! Whew...After that I slowed way down and saw a mamma deer and her baby with spots, so adorable crossing the road. 5 more miles and I arrived, lupine, beargrass, and avalanche lilies all the way. There were about 8-10 cars in the parking lot. All was quite at the 8:00 hour. It's only 40 miles to mowich from my house. Got to love that!
shooting stars
shooting stars
beautiful mowich lake
beautiful mowich lake
Anyway, I quickly set off on the trail around the lake it was magical as always, tons of reflections. Avalanche lilies are the dominate flower you will see right now.
I can't get enough of lillies
I can't get enough of lillies
A few snow patches linger around the lake. Trail is in fine shape. Bugs were just starting but I have a trick, I eat lots of garlic day or two before I hike and I swear it keep the mosquitoes from biting me. That's my theory anyway and seems to work for me.
Killer Reflections this morning
Killer Reflections this morning
ipsut pass
ipsut pass
I found a waterfall I hadn't seen before. Such a treat to find something new on a trail you've done lots of times. Got to Eunice lake and there is one area of ice still, it will be gone soon. A bit of snow but super easy to follow boot path.
almost to eunice lake
almost to eunice lake
some snow on trail but easy to follow
some snow on trail but easy to follow
Views get better and better on the way up, temperature was perfect, nice breeze, not a soul in sight. Just a perfect morning. Reached the LO in about 2 hours and took in all the views even saw Seattle in the far distance, plus every single mountain range.
Tons of butterflies today
Tons of butterflies today
I scrambled a bit till a humming bird buzzed me and I freaked out a bit.
I scrambled a bit till a humming bird buzzed me and I freaked out a bit.
Took lots of pics and decided to "scramble" if you want to call it that the little ridge walk to the left of LO. I have no idea what it's called. I got about 100 feet or so and a humming bird decided it would be fun to buzz me. That wasn't very nice since it's just a small ridge and lots of loose rocks. More heart pounding and I decided shortly after that I would head back to LO. I got to a few tricky spots and I'm solo, falling to my death was not an option today, it was just too nice of a day for that.
great views of st. helens
great views of st. helens
Showing off the muscles, feeling super strong today. It's no EK pose, but it will do.
Showing off the muscles, feeling super strong today. It's no EK pose, but it will do.
cute shed @ Tolmie Peak LO
cute shed @ Tolmie Peak LO
So down I went. Saw total of 10 people coming up at different points and was glad to be heading out. Lake was calling me to jump in but I'll wait just a bit for that.
I couldn't have asked for a better day, I feel fantastic physically and mentally I don't care at this point if I NEVER go back to work. I love Summer!
Coyote on the way down Mowich Road
Coyote on the way down Mowich Road

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostThu Jul 15, 2010 5:02 pm 
Great pics and another great report HQ.

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
the Zachster

the Zachster
PostThu Jul 15, 2010 5:18 pm 
Oh my gosh, it's the ever- ready- bunny -hikingqueen! She never stops!!! eek.gif hink.gif If you could get paid for hiking you'd be RICH!!! winksmile.gif

"May I always be the kind of person my dog thinks I am"
Highwalker's Daughter

Highwalker's Daughter
PostFri Jul 16, 2010 2:26 pm 
Yes, it would be cool if we could all get jobs doing this! As always lovely pictures which brought back good memories of being there several times in the 80s. You'll have to make the long drive to the Entiat sometime. Larch Lakes are amazing - see the TR sometime.

Popcorn

Popcorn
PostFri Jul 16, 2010 2:58 pm 
What a perfect day! You live in a gorgeous location--the USGS "Mowich Lake" quadrangle is one of the most beautiful places on this planet. Even if its mosquitoes are like vampires. I wonder if a cross or bible would also keep 'em at bay.

wolfs

wolfs
PostFri Jul 16, 2010 3:50 pm 
Coyote: that is funny - I saw what I am pretty sure is the same animal on the way UP the Mowich Road yesterday.

tigermn

tigermn
PostFri Jul 16, 2010 10:04 pm 
Thanks for the report. I walked up the Mowich road earlier this year when it was snow covered and want to come back for more of the summer festivities. I'm only about 57 miles to the Lake from my driveway so it isn't too bad of a drive for me either. As they say slip out the back jack. Maple Valley, Enumclaw etc and before you know it....

Magellan
Brutally Handsome

Magellan
Brutally Handsome
PostFri Jul 16, 2010 10:39 pm 
You look strong! Maybe you could convince EK to keep his shirt on in his poses.

Zukismom

Zukismom
PostMon Jul 19, 2010 11:01 am 
Mowich Lake
Enjoying reading your posts and looking at your great photo's. Have been urging my daughter and her friends to do the ML hike. Now that she has seen your pics, she is really pumped to make the trek. Thanks for some great posts and pics.

HitTheTrail

HitTheTrail
PostMon Jul 19, 2010 6:32 pm 
More nice Photos. Keep those TR's coming.

raising3hikers

raising3hikers
PostMon Jul 19, 2010 6:43 pm 
That's a great view of the mountains from there. When we went there a few years ago, the swarming clouds covered the peak and didn't go away til we were driving back home

Eric Eames
gyngve

gyngve
PostTue Jul 27, 2010 11:01 pm 
fyi, the trail is fully melted out now