Forum Index > Trip Reports > Heliotrope Cirque (5-24)
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Trevor

Trevor
PostWed May 26, 2004 9:53 am 
The sunlight superimposing the damp ground was a decent enough incentive for me to go out and drive to a spot where I could really savor the sun and the views clarity typically entails. My tires graced the asphalt while I sat above adoring the sight of South Twin across the valley from highway 9. A tad bit later, I found myself bouncing up and down in my car, upon being acquainted with a profusion of potholes. I inferred that I must indeed be driving on a forest service road, and my supposition was correct. At a later time, I had mysteriously been lead to a trail, the sign read heliotrope ridge. The sign stated that I must trudge on this trail to get the compelling views of Baker, so I abided. The terrain continually changed from snow covered to dry ground. That is until I departed from the forest, it was at that point I was standing on top of a 3 foot accumulation of the white stuff. I lumbered straight up the hill, patiently awaiting what views would be visible, upon reaching the top. I stopped intermittently to quench my parched tongue, but I reached the top of the ridge at a reasonable time. At this close of a proximity ,Forceful Mt. Baker filled me with captivation. I gazed with portions of a sandwich in my mouth. I saw a couple marmots greeting me from below. They have picked a good place to reside. I prowled across the ridge and got a bit closer to the glacier and enjoyed the glissade down from there. A dozen other hikers/climbers were enjoying similar views around the ridge The day was still long ,and I had driven a lengthy amount. I must take advantage of the attentuated daylight by doing another hike. Word has been circulating that Nooksack Cirque is in good shape, so that is what I opted for. The trail was indeed in good shape. My only lamentation about the trail being that it winds through the middle of the forest negating any quality view of Shuksan, when it would seem just as easy to make the path go along the river. Some miles later ,I digressed from the trail, and began rock hopping along the river. I arrived at a presentable spot and relished the Shuksan views. I then disembarked. There was still sufficient daylight remaining. I then directed my car up towards the ski area. I was surprised to see how much snow had actually melted. The heather meadow's lakes are now mostly thawed. I culminated the day by driving back with views of Shuksan bathed in sunlight. My feet were in pain, but after what I had experienced, the pain was tolerable.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
jenjen
Moderatrix

jenjen
Moderatrix
PostWed May 26, 2004 11:23 am 
Isn't that a gorgeous view? Heliotrope is one of the easiest access points to the Mt. Baker glaciers. You picked an amazing day for it, too. How is the Nooksack Cirque trail? I've always just trudged up the river bed. ps. GREAT signature! lol.gif

If life gives you melons - you might be dyslexic
Trevor

Trevor
PostWed May 26, 2004 12:49 pm 
The Cirque trail is, as one would expect. . .flat. Like I mentioned it goes mostly through the forest. The forest is nice, but not very photogenic. If the water level were to be low enough, I would opt for just rock hopping instead of following the trail on an impending trip back. Monday was indeed beautiful, I couldn't have asked for more. The clouds looming above Baker were excellent. There was quite a bit of road work going on alongside of highway 542. It looks as if they are cutting down trees in order to create a couple more u-turn areas. They were also chopping down trees and bulldozing at the nascent of the Wells Creek Road. I am assuming they are either paving it or laying down gravel.