Forum Index > Trip Reports > Twin Lakes Times 2, (Winchester LO) Mt. Baker, 7/22-23/2010
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
GeoHiker
Rocky Walker

GeoHiker
Rocky Walker
PostTue Jul 27, 2010 2:51 pm 
I camped out for the week near Mt. Baker ski area and wanted to check out the Twin Lks area that I'd heard so much about. The death horror road leading to the lakes was a concern as was the clouds and occasional spits of rain. FS website reported the road was closed at 5 miles. As usual they were wrong, so I headed on up. I figured I'd go as far as possible and then walk the road to the lakes. Past TR's I read warned of imminent death and destruction if you drove this road, so I was pleasantly surprised to see it in good shape. The last 2 miles switchbacks up and up, so sharp in several spots you have to back up to make the turn. eek.gif Other than a 500 ft. drop off on a single lane track and no room to pull over, it's an excellent road!..... hockeygrin.gif You can drive to within about 200 ft. of the lower lake where the snow gets deep in a hurry. I hiked over to the upper lake and checked out the camping area and fishing prospects. Sections of both lakes are opening up and it won't be long till they are both ice free. Wow, this looks like it could be an awesome GTG camping spot at a future date. up.gif
Lower Twin Lk
Lower Twin Lk
P7228990.JPG
P7228990.JPG
P7228996.JPG
P7228996.JPG
Clouds and spits of rain made this area rather bleak with some peek a boo views. After the sunny day I had the day before I vowed to return when the sun returned. I was surprised to see the skies totally clear the next morning. YES! Once again up the road and WOW, what a difference a day makes! I was in a alpine heaven with awesome views in every direction and you can drive here. There's still hope for us old people. up.gif up.gif
Lower Twin Lk, Winchester Lookout.
Lower Twin Lk, Winchester Lookout.
Upper Twin Lk, Winchester LO
Upper Twin Lk, Winchester LO
Mt Baker view from Lower Twin Lk.
Mt Baker view from Lower Twin Lk.
What to do, what to do. I had fishing gear, so wet a line? There were many trout swimming the shoreline where there was open water. Forget fishing, there were peaks to bag. I could see the flag flying at the lookout, so someone was up there. I'm partial to lookouts, so that was the direction I went. Trail starts off snow free, but you pick up snow drifts in the shaded sections several hundred ft. above the lakes. Views go from great to awesome the higher you go.
From Winchester LO trail.  Mt. Baker
From Winchester LO trail. Mt. Baker
From Winchester LO trail.
From Winchester LO trail.
View N. from Winchester LO trail.
View N. from Winchester LO trail.
I ran into a couple older guys. Geez, I'm old so they must have been really old!.... hockeygrin.gif They said people were climbing down from the LO, but were having trouble in the upper snow field. I once again failed to bring my ice axe, so after watching the 3 guys down climb a very steep dangerous section up above I bagged any thought of reaching the top. I made it to about the 6,000 ft. level and turned around. I dropped back down to the lake and decided to check out the mines and road to the N. There are house size chunks of snow and ice that came down in a slide, so the road and lake is busted up halfway down. That must have been quite the scene when that came down. eek.gif I followed the road about 2-3 miles. It drops off into the valley below, so not knowing where the mines were I gave up. On the way back up I checked out another area and found a corner post for a mining claim. Are there actual mines here or is this a surface mine? Still 6-10 ft. of snow, so it was hard telling where what was. I would guess about 7-8 miles and 2,000 ft. Awesome cool area to hike and explore, so I'll definitely have to come back in 2-3 weeks when the snow is melted off. up.gif up.gif up.gif
Small lake near mining area.
Small lake near mining area.
From Skagway Pass view East.
From Skagway Pass view East.
Mining area near Skagway Pass.  Winchester Mtn.
Mining area near Skagway Pass. Winchester Mtn.

You call some place paradise, kiss it goodbye......Eagles
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Yeti
Truly Abominable

Yeti
Truly Abominable
PostTue Jul 27, 2010 3:45 pm 
Geohiker, thanks for the Twin Lakes report. I love that area and spent a lot of time there when I was a kid. The road tends to go through a cycle of disrepair and repair depending upon whether or not the mines in the area are being actively worked. I believe that the Lone Jack Mine is currently active. There used to be an old adit on the east side of the upper Twin Lake and a little side trail off of the main road leading to the adit. I haven't been there in years so I am not sure if it is still around. For an added challenge you can take the road past the lakes to where it meets up with the Silesia Creek trailhead. You can make the descent into the valley and into what has been referred to as the "Big Salad." The Silesia Creek trail used to go all the way to Canada and was an old access point to what I believe was the Boundary Red Mountain mine. I don't think it has been maintained in many years.

GeoHiker
Rocky Walker

GeoHiker
Rocky Walker
PostTue Jul 27, 2010 4:48 pm 
Tnx for the info. on the mines. I think the snow is too deep and every thing is covered up. I walked a new road down valley about 2 miles NE. It got really steep, so I bagged it. This might be an easier way to reach the valley floor, so worth checking out when the snow melts. After my Hannegan Pass hike I could see how anything in the area could be called the "big salad" That valley looked like a cool place to check out, but wading through that junk isn't high on my list. I did see a trail on the map, but if it doesn't get maintenance I could see it could be history in a hurry. I did fine some HUGE bear poop father down. Looks like prime Griz country. up.gif

You call some place paradise, kiss it goodbye......Eagles
Highwalker's Daughter

Highwalker's Daughter
PostTue Jul 27, 2010 8:34 pm 
It is a great place to camp if you can stand those drop offs on the hairpin turns on the road. I used to take my kids there, but the mosquitos can be wicked!!!