Guiran

Guiran
PostWed Jul 28, 2010 5:19 am 
Awesome linkup!

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
cartman

cartman
PostWed Jul 28, 2010 8:04 am 
Wow. Just finished this amazing story. It's so good I had to break it up between last night and this morning. Well done. You continue to push your limits and horizons--very admirable. What a fantastic way to use the many skills you have attained, and to improve upon them--I'm certain your navigation abilities especially have expanded greatly by doing this trip. And doing it safely is very impressive as well. I knew Carrie was tough, but completing this is another realm entirely. Her skills seem to improve almost exponentially. Your adventure illustrates perfectly why we live here, and why we travel the mountains. I've always asked myself why I do this; your pictures are the answer. With those, I need no words.

Jim Dockery

Jim Dockery
PostWed Jul 28, 2010 9:12 am 
Sweet up.gif up.gif Great write up and excellent photos - I esp. like the latest panos you posted. I've never done the PT so this is just more inspiration. Thanks

yukon222

yukon222
PostWed Jul 28, 2010 10:15 am 
Thanks much for the thorough TR. I've heard bits and pieces about this traverse over the last few years but this TR really pulls it all together. And I'm glad to see you safely made it off the Sonny Boy/Cher ridge. When I was there with fwb2 and others awhile ago, descending off PT 5775' in the snow was interesting. I think I liked the snow descent better than your rock descent! smile.gif

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostWed Jul 28, 2010 12:21 pm 
Sweet report! Just finished reading it today and my knees hurt from the vicarious experience. clown.gif Just wondering, did you experience many bugs along the PT? You guys look too happy in the pics. One thing I recall from our abbreviated experience was the absence of bugs after leaving Cascade Pass. So nice!

iron

iron
PostWed Jul 28, 2010 12:34 pm 
zero bugs the entire trip with the exception of our saddle camp near 6631 on the last hiking night. even then, light flies and mosquitoes.

Mtn Man
Snow addict

Mtn Man
Snow addict
PostWed Jul 28, 2010 12:48 pm 
Wow....just....wow! Not sure if I'll ever get to this level, such a great trip. Thanks for the report! up.gif up.gif up.gif B)

Mmmmm, backcountry...
dicey
custom title

dicey
custom title
PostWed Jul 28, 2010 12:54 pm 
What a great trip you had through some of the best high alpine areas in the state. I appreciate the time you took writing this report to share your experiences up.gif

I'm not always sure I like being older but being less stupid has advantages. http://www.flickr.com/photos/32121172@N00/sets/
Yet

Yet
PostWed Jul 28, 2010 1:09 pm 
Oh my! Love all the eye candy. iron, your modelling the glacier gear photos are both hilarious and cute. embarassedlaugh.gif And gorgeous photos of your hotpantz. What a special trip indeed. up.gif ps: I like how you captioned this one "trust your feet." Mark always tells me this, someday I might listen. smile.gif

iron

iron
PostWed Jul 28, 2010 1:56 pm 
dip 'n drink

Pass-n-Thru

Pass-n-Thru
PostWed Jul 28, 2010 2:04 pm 
Awesome trip. When going through the brush and timber did you encounter any bee's nests? I know they can be bad in that part of the terrain. A lot of nice pictures in your post also. I have not had a chance to read the whole thing, but I will.

iron

iron
PostWed Jul 28, 2010 2:12 pm 
no bees nests, thankfully. i surmised i'd get stung a handful of times with all the blooming heather we trekked through, but like the trip, it was mostly smooth sailing. plenty of big bumble bees, but no wasps.

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostWed Jul 28, 2010 2:19 pm 
In my experience, bees aren't usually a problem until it starts getting dry.

Tom_Sjolseth
Born Yesterday

Tom_Sjolseth
Born Yesterday
PostWed Jul 28, 2010 2:24 pm 
Having read through this completely now, I'm completely in awe of this trip!! Iron, you and hotpantz have grown leaps and bounds when it comes to mountaineering knowledge. Very nice to see! I think "clouds obscuring moon" is one of the neatest photos I've ever seen. To prevent wet boots on long, snowy traverses like this, I use Nikwax and rub it liberally over my boots (and the tongue) before the trip. On a trip of this duration and over this much snow, I would bring some Nikwax with me.. this should prevent wet boots (unless it's mesh on the sides, in which case take those boots back to REI). It's a little early for wasps yet. They usually don't surface until mid to late August and peak in September. They will probably be late this season with all the snow up high still. This is an unbelievable year for snowcover late into the season. I am sooo happy for you guys. This was a great trip, with a genius escape route, and you guys did pretty much everything flawlessly. TR of the year!

Pass-n-Thru

Pass-n-Thru
PostWed Jul 28, 2010 2:48 pm 
iron wrote:
no bees nests, thankfully. i surmised i'd get stung a handful of times with all the blooming heather we trekked through, but like the trip, it was mostly smooth sailing. plenty of big bumble bees, but no wasps.
Good to hear. i have got in them before and its not fun. Again awesome trip and way to dip and drink. I hope that doesn't catch up to me one day.