Forum Index > Partners > Pilot Ridge-PCT-NF Sauk Loop 7-30 to 8-1
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Hulksmash
Cleaning up.

Hulksmash
Cleaning up.
PostTue Jul 27, 2010 12:54 am 
So my plan is to head up Pilot Ridge on Friday to Blue Lake or beyond depending on time and energy...and come back out the NF Sauk trail by Sunday.

"Bears couldn't care less about us....we smell bad and don't taste too good. Bugs on the other hand see us as vending machines." - WetDog Albuterol! it's the 11th essential
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
veronika

veronika
PostTue Jul 27, 2010 1:13 am 
HEY!!!! This is the trip everyone gave me crap about wanting to do. Except I wanted to do it the opposite direction and hit Johnson on the way back. I wish I could join you on this trip but I am booked for the weekend... crap! Ya know this is like a 26 mile loop (debatable by many) ? See the debate on my first report here

Take risks not to escape life, but to prevent life from escaping I may not have anyone rocking my world right now but, I don't have anyone messing it up either.
Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostTue Jul 27, 2010 8:25 am 
Goof doh.gif - the debate wasn't the trip itself, it was that you wanted to do it as a late-start dayhike in May. It's an enjoyable loop trip when conditions and expectations are reasonable. up.gif Go for it!

"...Other than that, the post was more or less accurate." Bernardo, NW Hikers' Bureau Chief of Reporting
veronika

veronika
PostTue Jul 27, 2010 11:20 am 
embarassedlaugh.gif embarassedlaugh.gif embarassedlaugh.gif Oh well... I guess imma dork! tongue.gif

Take risks not to escape life, but to prevent life from escaping I may not have anyone rocking my world right now but, I don't have anyone messing it up either.
Hulksmash
Cleaning up.

Hulksmash
Cleaning up.
PostWed Jul 28, 2010 11:52 am 
Anyone??? If no one responds by 1 pm Thursday, i'll probably head to the trail head after work. May camp at TH, or hike in a ways. Why 1pm....cause that's when i leave for work. Prolly won't reach the TH until after midnight if i leave directly from work....that is if i don't become suddenly ill. biggrin.gif

"Bears couldn't care less about us....we smell bad and don't taste too good. Bugs on the other hand see us as vending machines." - WetDog Albuterol! it's the 11th essential
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostWed Jul 28, 2010 3:59 pm 
Not a destination I'd recommend to avoid bugs. Enjoy!

Hulksmash
Cleaning up.

Hulksmash
Cleaning up.
PostThu Jul 29, 2010 12:26 am 
Sure Tom scare away any potential partners. rolleyes.gif I will be carrying an entire bottle of permethrin, in addition to DEET. hockeygrin.gif

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostThu Jul 29, 2010 1:33 am 
permethrin, good luck with that. wink.gif Smells like burnt hair. Wears off quick. I don't think it repels flies (but neither does DEET). Who knows, you might get lucky and escape the flies that we encountered. That said, Blue is a gorgeous lake, if it helps your quest for partners...

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostThu Jul 29, 2010 8:33 am 
My shirt with the permanent permethrin treatment built in repels mosquitoes very well, and any smell it has comes from me wearing it for a couple of days. embarassedlaugh.gif I have also used the Sawyer permethrin spray, and it does have a bit of an odor, but you are supposed to let the garment dry fully before you wear it, and by then the smell is gone. Now that I have the shirt, I mainly use the spray on my hat, shorts and socks.

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostThu Jul 29, 2010 12:00 pm 
My mistake, I thought Hulk was talking about picaridin since he indicated he was bringing a bottle. Picaridin is the stuff that smells like burnt hair and wears off quick. Haven't used permethrin yet, though I did buy some buzz off pants to try. I thought you sprayed it on your clothes at home, not in the field?

Hulksmash
Cleaning up.

Hulksmash
Cleaning up.
PostThu Jul 29, 2010 12:22 pm 
I have found this stuff works quite well. One little squirt on each hammock webbing, resulted in absolutely no skeeters. I do not know how well it works to repel black fly's and Horse fly's. But it is also an insecticide, and I know it will kill a black fly. So if it fails to repel them...i can at least fog the little be-winged blight. naughty.gif

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostThu Jul 29, 2010 12:35 pm 
Oooh, that stuff also kleets rodents according to wikipedia. I'm not sure you can technically bring that hammock into the national parks. wink.gif

Hulksmash
Cleaning up.

Hulksmash
Cleaning up.
PostThu Jul 29, 2010 12:56 pm 
Well it looks like i will be Kleeting rodents with my bug repellent solo. tongue.gif

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostThu Jul 29, 2010 1:10 pm 
The stuff in hulk's link is what I use. I'm not sure about the "six weeks or six washings" part. This shirt is one of my new favorite pieces of gear. It does everything they say it does: repels insects, keeps the sun off of me, and dries so fast it's like a miracle. I got it wet once kayaking, soaked, and I wrung it out, set it in the sun, and it was completely dry in 15 minutes. Plus I got mine on sale for $25, not the $90 regular price. biggrin.gif