Forum Index > Trail Talk > Little Giant Pass
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
AmericanHiker

AmericanHiker
PostWed Aug 11, 2010 9:40 am 
So I'm doing Little Giant Pass this Saturday or Sunday. I have read some reports on it but I would like to here some stuff from you guys who have done the hike. Is it as overgrown as the reports I have read say? and at the beginning of the hike is the trail that hard to find? Thanks guys!

Im looking for new poeple to hike with!!
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostWed Aug 11, 2010 9:49 am 
Not hard to find the trail. You're in a big wasteland of an old flood from 1972 that wiped out the campground on the other side of the Chiwawa - just wander to the back of the ex-campground til you find the trailhead. The beginning of this trail is a built trail. After a mile or so, the built portion ends, and you're then on the old sheep drive. Steep. Yes, it is very brushy beyond the rocky outcropping, where there is no tread (follow where the map says the trail is, and you'll find the tread in the vegetation). The brush is woody brush, so leave the extra-wide Thermarest home. The trail is easy to find - it's a relatively well-trod one. After the meadows is a mysterious switchback. I guess the Forest Service couldn't re-build the whole trail, but did the beginning switcbacks and then that last one up to the Pass. Gorgeous place. Tons of folks've done this trail over the decades - you can, too. Just show up & start walking - you'll discover the conditions when you get there, just like everyone else has. clown.gif

"...Other than that, the post was more or less accurate." Bernardo, NW Hikers' Bureau Chief of Reporting
AmericanHiker

AmericanHiker
PostWed Aug 11, 2010 10:00 am 
Thank you

kyle d

kyle d
PostWed Aug 11, 2010 10:01 am 
I've been up a few times the last few years. I don't recall the trail being that overgrown (much less so than some other trails in the North Cascades), nor the start being very hard to find. But then again I have not gone down into the Napeequa if that's what you mean.

canyonwren
Secret Otter Agent

canyonwren
Secret Otter Agent
PostWed Aug 11, 2010 10:27 am 
I was just there last weekend. Trail is not hard to find across the river--just watch out for the cairns. Not really overgrown right now either. Just make sure you bring sandals or shoes for that first river crossing, right out of the parking lot. The water's pretty fast and deepish right now. I sacrificed my running shoes for them, but at least didn't fall in. (Close a couple of times!)

AmericanHiker

AmericanHiker
PostWed Aug 11, 2010 10:42 am 
Thank you again! Any snow I should worry about at the top?

Conrad
Meadow bagger

Conrad
Meadow bagger
PostWed Aug 11, 2010 11:04 am 
canyonwren wrote:
make sure you bring sandals or shoes for that first river crossing, right out of the parking lot.
Is the tree across the Chiwawa (there last August), a few yards upstream from the TH, gone now then?

Sore Feet

Sore Feet
PostWed Aug 11, 2010 11:42 am 
The only spots I'd classify as overgrown (and really not all that much) are on the descent to the Napeequa and then along the Napeequa Valley floor itself. There may have been one or two brief stretches on the way up, but getting up to Little Giant is just fine.

kyle d

kyle d
PostWed Aug 11, 2010 1:07 pm 
Conrad: Yes, the log across the Chiwawa is gone now. Though there is still a well beaten path to where it used to be shakehead.gif