Forum Index > Partners > Slow Paced Wildflower Photo Hike @ Spray Park in MRNP Friday
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
WildCelticRose
Oooh ! Shiny !

WildCelticRose
Oooh ! Shiny !
PostWed Aug 11, 2010 10:43 am 
~ Hello, (why no, I'm not dead, just coming off an injury and moving) I've also been spending more time on Facebook than on individual boards. The trail reports say that the wildflowers up at Spray Park are stunning right now and the weather is supposed to be beautiful on Friday. (and folks have been asking for weekday hikes) Leftover avalanche lilies and a huge variety of lupine, paintbrushes, asters, pink and white heathers just to name a few are showing off as of this weekend. (the late snow melt and cool weather we’ve had to should keep them happy for a few more days) This will be a SLOW paced hike with the specific purpose of stopping to photograph the flowers (that, and I’ve been rehabbing a fractured foot/big toe and am so out of shape I couldn’t go fast even if I wanted to-this is my first hike since April). Speed demons will not enjoy this hike. We will stop at the Mazatlan Restaurant in Bonney Lake on the way back for Mexican Food and Margaritas (for those who imbibe) This will be a 7.5 mile round trip hike, with an initial elevation gain of 1600 feet. (part of the trail above the falls is quite steep, but the climb is worth it) You will need to bring plenty of water and snacks as we will be up there a while and it is a strenuous trip. You will also want BUG SPRAY (and a long sleeve shirts/pants with legs if the spray doesn’t work) or you might get eaten alive up there. You can read a typical Spray Park trip report at the WTA site here: http://www.wta.org/go-hiking/hikes/spray-park/hike_view?b_start:int=60&-C= We will meet at the Tacoma Dome Park & Ride near Freighthouse Square and the train/bus stations at 6:30 AM and carpool up to the Mowich Lake entrance to the park (this is a dirt road, so keep this in mind if you’re offering to drive a carpool) We will meet in the ground level lot, just inside the “G” St Entrance a map of the parking garages is available here: http://www.piercetransit.org/tds2.htm It is a work day and commuters will be using this lot so parking will be a bit tricky. Each vehicle will need a Park Pass or America the Beautiful Pass (I have one for whoever rides in my vehicle) I can take two people in my truck (if one doesn’t mind riding in a side facing rear seat) Please use the Adventure! Meetup group to RSVP (only if you are coming) so that I can track everyone is one place, thank you. http://www.meetup.com/adventurers-206/calendar/14366323/ ~L

In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks. John Muir
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message