Forum Index > Food & Grub > Enertia trail foods
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Luc

Luc
PostWed Jun 03, 2009 4:25 pm 
for me, the flavors are all pretty good except the smoke flavored TVP (aka ham) the inconsistency with enertia IMO that doesn't happen with MJs is the cooking/rehydrating can differ greatly between the different selections. but, if you can read, then you'll be fine. my first year using them i had a habit of burning the instructions after i opened the package but before i cooked the shtuff. i learned.

GNGSTR
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
cweston

cweston
PostThu Jun 04, 2009 4:57 am 
I've tried several of them and thought they were all pretty good. I did prepare one wrong the first trip I used them on--the instructions are simple, but, as Luc says, they aren't all the same. Most of them are just add boiling water to the bag, FBC style. You can read the cooking instructions on their site (http://trailfoods.com/) to see which ones aren't. As for the calories/serving size thing, I find them quite satisfying, but I'm finding through discussions at this and other sites that I may eat a little less while backpacking than some do.

Opus
Wannabe

Opus
Wannabe
PostThu Jun 04, 2009 8:03 am 
I've had pretty good luck making all of them in the bag regardless of what the instructions say. Most of the cook-in-pot ones have dried beans they say to boil. If you just let them soak an extra five minutes or so in the bag it works nearly as well and then you dont have a pot to clean.

ejain

ejain
PostSun Aug 15, 2010 12:42 pm 
Received a shipment from Enertia this week. The bags are now similar to those used for Coleman meals. Convenient to eat from (less deep than other bags), but not so great for packing (too much air in the bags). Also, their support appears to be non-existent: Not only did they ignore the shipping instructions I gave them, but they have not so far followed up to my complaint about that...

sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostSun Aug 15, 2010 1:50 pm 
I wonder if the shipping issue is related to them having been sold awhile back - it is being run more as a real company than the "cottage gear" company it was run as with the original owners. What that can mean though is one gets stuck with low level customer service...blah.

https://trailcooking.com/ Eat well on the trail.
Gray
Lazy Hiker

Gray
Lazy Hiker
PostFri Aug 20, 2010 1:01 pm 
Luc wrote:
i have been looking for a long lexan spoon for a few years because I find the packages to be too deep, and i get goo (food) on my nuckes from digging down into the pouch.
I went through countless variations of spoons and sporks, and finally found the Sea To Summit spoon of my dreams. It's not lexan, but it's super light, long enough for the biggest bag, strong, and the spoonbowl is perfectly sized (and I like the flatish edge it has, makes getting everything stirred in nice and easy). --Gray

Luc

Luc
PostMon Aug 30, 2010 2:39 pm 
yeah i finally settled on a BPL ul titanium extra long spoon. seems to work better, but still get some grime on my hands from time to time...

GNGSTR