Forum Index > Trip Reports > Knapsack Pass, Mother Mtn, Fay Pk, Spray Park, 8.15.2010
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Opus
Wannabe

Opus
Wannabe
PostSun Aug 15, 2010 7:32 pm 
Finally I made it to Spray Park and actually saw something! Everytime I make the drive down there it's cloudy. Nice to see what I've been missing. Also forgot how crowded the place is - especially this weekend with free entrance to Rainier. Parked way back on the road and walked to the ranger cabin, then up to Knapsack Pass. Some nice flowers and a great waterfall back there. Trail up to Knapsack was pretty decent too. Turned left and followed a boot path up to Castle Peak (EDIT: I think it was actually Mother Mountain). It looks intimidating from a distance but once you get there it's a simple walk-up. Dropped back to Knapsack and since it wasn't too hot went over to Fay Peak. I lost the boot path partway and traversed level on the loose hillside, which was tedious and slow. Got cliffed out on the false summit but then found I had to backtrack, drop down on the other side of the ridge to skirt the cliffs, then up to Fay. Stayed on the boot path the whole way out and it was much easier. Ran into a few climbers up there and saw a group making a direct assault up some snow fields and rock slabs. I heard a lot of "rock!rock!rock!" as they went. Descended over Knapsack and worked over to Spray Park. Great views down into Mist Park here. Caught the real trail here and slowly wandered through the park, smelling lupine everywhere. I couldn't have hiked fast if I wanted to either; so many people! I think I had to step aside very 20 ft to let some people go up trail. Lots of lupine, paintbrush, and even some avalanche lilies holding on. Made a side trip to Spray Falls and climbed up right to the base of them and stood underneath, getting soaked by the cool mist. What other humongous waterfalls can one stand under and not be crushed by falling water? Great on a hot day. Quick hike out and then a long, dusty drive out. My silver car is now brown. Note: do not drive this road after just washing your car.
Blue water
Blue water
Trickle
Trickle
Little Falls
Little Falls
Lake on Mother Mountain
Lake on Mother Mountain
Mother Mountain
Mother Mountain
Fay Peak summit view
Fay Peak summit view
Rainier
Rainier
Flowers
Flowers
Flowers
Flowers
Bee
Bee
Spray Falls
Spray Falls
Mother Mountain panorama
Mother Mountain panorama

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Opus
Wannabe

Opus
Wannabe
PostSun Aug 15, 2010 7:36 pm 
EDIT: actually, now that I look closer at a real TOPO map, I think I went up Mother Mountain instead of Castle Peak.

Schroder

Schroder
PostSun Aug 15, 2010 7:40 pm 
You went up First Mother. It's a long day out to Second & Third behind it. Nice photos. Was there any difficulty on the scree & talus over to Spray Park? Is there any snow left there?

Opus
Wannabe

Opus
Wannabe
PostSun Aug 15, 2010 10:06 pm 
No problems. The talus down from Knapsack is pretty much all melted, except for a few short sections that could be completely avoided. There is a larger snow field climbing up into Spray Park but easy going.

Bloated Chipmunk
Cock Rock Searcher

Bloated Chipmunk
Cock Rock Searcher
PostSun Aug 15, 2010 10:38 pm 
Opus wrote:
Also forgot how crowded the place is - especially this weekend with free entrance to Rainier.
D'oh! That explains why the ranger didn't even seem to glance as I flashed him my pass & I.D. today. doh.gif Nice pics. I've been to Spray Park (in the fog huh.gif...or am I confusing it w/Seattle Park? ) but not the others. I wondered what Mother Mtn. looked like.... hmmm.gif

Home is where the hiking is. "Peaks that have come and gone four times should halt a man in his steps." -- William O. Douglas A balanced diet is a margarita in each hand.